AMOLED Displays Now Cheaper To Produce Than LCD

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Due to declining costs, there is a real chance that AMOLED displays could supersede other display types. This is good news for anyone like me who has been waiting for LCDs to go away.

…it costs somewhere around $14.30 to produce a 5-inch 1080p AMOLED display, while the production cost of a similarly-sized 1080p LTPS LCD panel is $14.60. These numbers are from the first quarter of 2016. In Q4 2015, the production costs of LCD and AMOLED display panels were $15.70 and $17.10, respectively. This means that many brands may start using AMOLED displays in their entry-level as well as mid-range smartphones.

I was about to ask for whom ? The people who produce the panels or the TV/monitor supplier buying them?
Still sold as a premium product.

I was about to ask for whom ? The people who produce the panels or the TV/monitor supplier buying them?
Still sold as a premium product.
This is only for Samsung's smartphone displays. It'll be years yet before LG's production ramps up and costs drop to Walmart-tier levels. Actually for high-end TVs, OLED is already very affordable. High-end plasmas used to cost as much or more than high-end OLEDs do now.

What ever happened to lasers? Mitsubishi made 2 televisions and then that was it. Of course the fact the displays' depth could be measured in inches probably led to an unacceptable selling point.

Clickbait weeeee. 5" display != 50"+ display costs.

lol. As if they'd start using them in low to mid range anytime soon. What would that leave them as an excuse to have overpriced high end models to spruik? Nothing.

These still have burn in issues right? so no good for monitors
This made me so mad when I read a while back that OLED has burn in! What are these manufacturers thinking? I don't want tech that burns in. They should have never went down the path, kept looking for deep blacks and bright colors without burn in. Tell them this when you shop for TVs and monitors.

Don't believe everything you read... You have a bunch of people making near wild guesses and writing articles. I'm the past I worked for a company that provided one of the components in a major piece of CE gear. I knew exactly how much we sold it to them for. The estimated price shown in teardown article that the supposed experts came up with wasn't even close.

And if you crack one and need a replacement, it's only $495.00.

This made me so mad when I read a while back that OLED has burn in! What are these manufacturers thinking? I don't want tech that burns in. They should have never went down the path, kept looking for deep blacks and bright colors without burn in. Tell them this when you shop for TVs and monitors.

I just learned about the burn in this past week. WTF. So much for OLED.

Does this mean my curved 55" will be cheap now?

Because it would be super duper if it was...

I just learned about the burn in this past week. WTF. So much for OLED.
I don't think burn in is anywhere close to as bad as for plasma, at least for my OLED devices, but a color shift due to the weakening of the blue emitter is a bit of a concern, though they can compensate for that and just reduce the maximum display brightness with increasing age. I replace my phones within 4 years, and my TVs within 8 so if they can make it that long, I frankly don't care. I've had my LCD backlights die in under 8 years, even had one smart TV get killed by an automatic firmware updates, and others basically obsoleted by the introduction of HDCP2.2, so as long as it lasts that long without becoming a serious problem, it's not going to dissuade me from getting a set since there are other more pressing concerns (the smart TV thing being the worst, I want the same set I got when I first bought it damn it, but non-smart TVs are getting hard to find).

Does this mean my curved 55" will be cheap now?

Because it would be super duper if it was...
You can get a decent 55" curved lcd for a fairly good price. I got a 65" samsung curve with the nanocrystal (or whatever marketing bs) for under $4k a few months ago and there were definitely much more affordable options. OLED on the other hand is cornered by LG today and is very expensive. It didn't look as good either, especially motion control.

With burn in - give OLED some time. My 2013 Panny VT plasma has literally 0 issues with image retention.

What ever happened to lasers? Mitsubishi made 2 televisions and then that was it. Of course the fact the displays' depth could be measured in inches probably led to an unacceptable selling point.

They were laser light illumination but the technology was DLP, and you hit the nail on the head. Most people like the overall convenience of LCD despite whatever superior specs you can throw at them. Even I retired my 22" CRT monitor to the garage to pick up a ZR30 in spite of how much gaming I do.

However because of that mass consumer mindset I got a 67" Samsung LED DLP in my living room for $500, so... it has it's upsides :) I'd love to see a 4K LED or Laser DLP TV, but mass consumers don't like the limited viewing angle of RPTVs or the perceived bulk (how much do you move around your TV anyway?).

They were laser light illumination but the technology was DLP, and you hit the nail on the head. Most people like the overall convenience of LCD despite whatever superior specs you can throw at them. Even I retired my 22" CRT monitor to the garage to pick up a ZR30 in spite of how much gaming I do.

However because of that mass consumer mindset I got a 67" Samsung LED DLP in my living room for $500, so... it has it's upsides :) I'd love to see a 4K LED or Laser DLP TV, but mass consumers don't like the limited viewing angle of RPTVs or the perceived bulk (how much do you move around your TV anyway?).

The only reason I still don't have DLP in my living room is you can't buy them any more.

LCDs dont screenburn as easily. I dont mind oled on phones but I will avoid them on laptops, tvs and monitors.

LCDs dont screenburn as easily. I dont mind oled on phones but I will avoid them on laptops, tvs and monitors.

I do know that my '13 Moto X has burned-in status and navigation bars due to forgetting that I had it set for the screen to stay on while charging. Was on a mostly white screen for about 4 hours.

Would try to see how long it will take on my Note 4, but don't wanna risk it.

If a 4:3 / 3:2 / 16:10 OLED with strobe@85Hz+, high res (2048x1536+) and DVI comes out, I might bite.

OLED image retention is currently in between a good plasma and a CRT. They don't "burn in" permanently. Retainment goes away after a few minutes.

OLED image retention is currently in between a good plasma and a CRT. They don't "burn in" permanently. Retainment goes away after a few minutes.

Well, isn't that great. Thank you for the information. So it only burns in for a little while, but during that little while, won't image quality suffer? Any burn-in is not a good thing, even temporary, you are bound to notice it.

Well, isn't that great. Thank you for the information. So it only burns in for a little while, but during that little while, won't image quality suffer? Any burn-in is not a good thing, even temporary, you are bound to notice it.
Yes, until it goes away it will look funny. Retention usually fades in under an hour and is usually only triggered by prolonged misuse.

Craigslist, my good man. Even if you end up having to replace all 3 LEDs (unlikely) and the DMD (slightly more likely) then you're still making out like a bandit.
Example:
Samsung 61 Widescreen DLP HDTV 1080p

Currently trying to sell my Mitsubishi WD-Y65 (65732). Bought it new in 2007. It currently needs a lamp. The one in it works, but it's about 1.5 years old and getting a little dim. That's it. I'd take $200 for it today. Fantastic TV.

That's not correct. OLED, like all emissive techologies is vulnerable to differential aging (ie: burn-in). It's just a matter of how long it takes with a static image before it happens. AMOLEDs not using white OLED + color filter (like LG's do) are vulnerable to another issue because each color ages at a different rate. This latter issue causes white point drift. The longer the materials last, the more resilient to burn-in the displays become.

Back