Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs

That's a great setting for a video game, I think. It's really the transition from the old world to the modern world and it gives off a pretty freaky vibe. I always think of pictures of dead people when I think of this time period.

Should be an interesting game.

Just to note, Frictional isn't making this one, but rather the Dear Esther guys.

What does this imply?

Draw your own conclusions. It's not a sequel to Amnesia by Frictional but a side-story type game made by a HL2 modding group.

Judging by the quality of Dear Esther however, it will be excellent. Frictional afterall was only like 5 employees wasn't it?

Draw your own conclusions. It's not a sequel to Amnesia by Frictional but a side-story type game made by a HL2 modding group.

Judging by the quality of Dear Esther however, it will be excellent. Frictional afterall was only like 5 employees wasn't it?

This is somewhat FUD. Dear Esther was made using Frictional's engine, Frictional is publishing the game, Frictional apparently designed the game with the Dear Esther writer, and the Dear Esther people are developing the game.

A Machine for Pigs began development in December 2011, but the idea dates back to 2010. "Jens [Nilsson, designer at Frictional] and I were discussing that we should be doing something more with Amnesia, but we didn't have time for it. The deal was, 'Perhaps we could collaborate with someone else.' Then about a year later, Dan's name popped up," Grip tells me

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/02/22/building-a-machine-for-pigs-and-expanding-the-universe-of-amnesi/

Dear Esther was made with the Source Engine...

I misread the article. Frictional developed the engine for A Machine for Pigs, and the Dear Esther developers are using that engine to develop the game.

In any event, Frictional is obviously heavily involved in the game, so calling it a "side-story type game" from another developer is not really accurate.

The whole thing reminds me of id giving Quake over to Raven. Though, I bet that thechinesefactory will do WAY better, than what Raven did to Quake 4... though Quake 4 wasn't bad, it could have been a lot better...

I need to make myself play through the first one before I play the second one... :p

Very interesting!

I loved Dear Esther, and I love Frictional Games. I had no idea the two would be collaborating on a project, but the two look to be a great match for each other.

Watched an early sneak peek, and a couple of lets plays, and as usual, I feel myself desiring this game like no other. So excited to pick it up.

Machine for Pigs review

A Machine for Pigs performs the not inconsequential achievement of maintaining the soul of Amnesia....this is still a game that understands that real horror comes from the unseen, unknown and unexplained...a game that manages to breed powerful terror from winding corridors and empty rooms, never once relying on monster closets and only rarely on jump scares...and on the handful of occasions that A Machine for Pigs does try something a bit different, it's as amazing as anything in the first game.

no, it's not quite as long as The Dark Descent, but that also means that it doesn't run out of steam in the same way...if you're an Amnesia fan, A Machine for Pigs will absolutely keep you fed...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-09-amnesia-a-machine-for-pigs-review

looking forward to playing :cool:

2 more good reviews...this time from Rock Paper Shotgun and Gamespot...

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/09/09/wot-i-think-amnesia-a-machine-for-pigs/

http://www.gamespot.com/amnesia-a-m...ne-for-pigs-review-6414003/?tag=Topslot;Slot2

sounds like they dumbed down certain gameplay aspects from the 1st game but overall it seems to capture the spirit of Dark Descent

Thanks! It would seem my money has been well spent. Forecast for tomorrow night is supposed to be stormy....perfect.

massive spoiler in the gamespot review.. don't recommend watching it.

jesus christ i forgot about this. just bought it with like an hour left to unlock.

LIGHTS OUT, SPOOKY MODE ENGAGE

edit: aaaand played for like an hour and a half.

No more sanity thing as far as i can tell, and your lamp is infinite. I never used that shit in the first game anyway and snuck in the dark everywhere. I did one part where it looks like you can't hide and you're forced to juke motherfuckers on the run like a pro. Pretty good so far.

Last edited:
Seems like they are really trying to suck you into the story and atmosphere in this one. Removed alot of annoying things like.. lamp fuel and tinder boxes.

Liking this game alot. Outlast + amnesia all within a week = win.

Seems like they are really trying to suck you into the story and atmosphere in this one. Removed alot of annoying things like.. lamp fuel and tinder boxes.

Liking this game alot. Outlast + amnesia all within a week = win.

I wasn't a big fan of the tinder and fuel shit either, it just made it extremely tedious. As if this castle would just have conveniently placed fuel and tinder all over for you to continue forward with.

I need this game...I think I might do this before Outlast when I get some free time.

so where are the peeps who finished the game?...and yes I'm sure everyone who started last night or today is probably done...very short game I hear (5-6 hours)

I could see someone completely misunderstanding/not even realizing some of the "mini-puzzles" of the game and being unable to proceed as a result.

This game sort of flew under my radar. I knew it was in development but never realized it was so close. Definitely need to get my hands on it at some point, as the first Amnesia was fantastic.

Except those exact things are also annoying in their own way, which I found out soon into the game. For example, they removed tinderboxes...now you can't light any candles, the only light is from your lamp. They could have at least let you light candles from the lamp. Also, you now have no inventory...which means if you have to pick up a part for a machine or whatever, you have to walk around with it in your hand the entire way (and hope you don't accidentally drop it off some ledge).

The lamp thing I can deal with I guess, but no inventory is really bugging me lately.

Last edited:
Back