Amid all the R9 290/X hoopla, where the hell is the Frame Pacing driver for HD 7XXX?

That's a very good question, and was part of the reason I decided to scrap my X-Fire plans with the 79XX series and go with the DMA solution they are using in the 290s..It is quite superior, even to SLI in many cases, according to various reviews..

I hope AMD doesn't leave the 79XX user's hanging, considering how many bought up their 7950/7970 cards during the fire sale leading up to the R9 launch..

nope they will probably just forget we ever existed, glad looking forward they have solved this issue. Glad i only bought 1 7970 - just sell up and move on or go green.

I hope they can come up with something like gsync, that feature alone is making me lean to nvidia for my future upgrade

AMD is famous for forgetting about its last generation products when it comes to supporting them.

I would not worry, they have not forgotten you. However, if I were you, I would post this on their facebook page and email support and see where they are with it. It is unlikely they read what is posted here.

I sold my 2nd 7970 months ago, knowing it would be a long time, if ever, for that driver to show up. Have since moved on to 780...

AMD is famous for forgetting about its last generation products when it comes to supporting them
You are simply not telling the truth.
I can remember only 2 or 3 cards (AIW boards) that they didnt support.

You are simply not telling the truth.
I can remember only 2 or 3 cards (AIW boards) that they didnt support.

Exactly..Phase 1 of the Frame Rate Pacing driver worked for all of the 7XXX, the 6XXX, and the 5XXX cards..The 5XXX cards are what, 3 years old now?:rolleyes:

Exactly..Phase 1 of the Frame Rate Pacing driver worked for all of the 7XXX, the 6XXX, and the 5XXX cards..The 5XXX cards are what, 3 years old now?:rolleyes:

Actually, the 5XXX series is 4 years old now which strengthens what you said. :D

They had said November... when I found out the 290 series launch date, I called BS on that. Oh well

7970 ain't a legacy product yet, it's got probably a full year left as the current mid-range solution from AMD, in 280X guise.

I missed the eyefinity part that the OP mentioned. :eek: Yeah, hopefully, they will get the drivers out to you soon but, I will still post on their facebook page just to help get them motivated perhaps.

7970 ain't a legacy product yet, it's got probably a full year left as the current mid-range solution from AMD, in 280X guise.

That brings up an interesting question, how feasible would it be for AMD to just keep releasing a new top of the line card every year and just bump the existing cards down a notch in price/category?

I wouldn't hold your breath to be honest. Seeing as the 280x is middle card now, I don't see a lot of Xfire fixes coming . Until I see AIB 290s worth buying, I'll stick with these for the time being. There's no reason why a frame pacing driver couldn't be developed at the same as the 290s were, which is why I'm so skeptical. Add in the BF4 game bundle debacle and you can clearly see the writing on the wall. 290/x is their primary focus for performance.

Thing is, it's the mid-tier cards that are a good value proposition for the consumer in Crossfire, you can usually get better than top-tier performance from a pair of mid-tier cards (on paper at least) for less money. And it gives you a nice, budget-friendly staged upgrade path versus going all-in on a flagship card.

Both Nvidia and AMD are keenly aware of that...it's the middle and low end that makes up the bulk of their retail revenue. They'll keep supporting that segment. Argument goes out the window with Eyefinity though, not a lot of Joe Sixpack mid-tier gamers running triple 1080p monitors. :)

Yeah, kind of strange that there isn't a fix yet because apparently, the R9 290 and 290x's framepacing is still done in software.

Thing is, it's the mid-tier cards that are a good value proposition for the consumer in Crossfire, you can usually get better than top-tier performance from a pair of mid-tier cards (on paper at least) for less money. And it gives you a nice, budget-friendly staged upgrade path versus going all-in on a flagship card.

Both Nvidia and AMD are keenly aware of that...it's the middle and low end that makes up the bulk of their retail revenue. They'll keep supporting that segment. Argument goes out the window with Eyefinity though, not a lot of Joe Sixpack mid-tier gamers running triple 1080p monitors. :)

True I don't run an eyefinity 3 monitor setup for gaming usually, but some games I do. I do however run a 6 monitor desktop though. That's pretty much the only reason I didn't move to the 780 this time around... AMD has me by the balls.

I hate to say it, but if the issue is bandwidth across the crossfire bridge I don't see how they are going to fix it.

I hate to say it, but if the issue is bandwidth across the crossfire bridge I don't see how they are going to fix it.

If that is indeed the issue, then they aren't going to be able to fix it, and I think they would have been forced to own up to it..

Back