America's Most Stressful Jobs 2011

HardOCP News

[H] News
The 2011 list of Most Stressful Jobs in America is out today and, to be honest, it's kinda weak. The list includes photojournalists, newscasters, PR people and ad executives but doesn't list a single police / parole / probation officer, social worker, nurse/doctor or IT admin guy. Surely we can make a better list than this!

To get a sense of the most stressful jobs in America, CareerCast.com looked at 11 different factors that can cause stress on the job, and ranked 200 professions by how significantly these demands factor into the average workday. Factors that weighed into stress include work environment, job competitiveness, physical demands, deadlines, on-the-job dangers and even the job's growth potential.

...but doesn't list a single police / parole / probation officer...

When I took my previous job as IT Manager the guy that was leaving was joining the local police force because it was less stressful. That should have been my first clue, I didn't stay long either.

I went to the site and read thru all 10 of the most stressfull an least stressfull and both articles are complete garbage, whoever did this article needs let alone paid somone for it needs their head checked.

I would say teachers. Never know when your going to get shot by some 6 yr old

CNBC wants us to take pity on them: Advertising Account Executive, Stockbroker, Newscaster, Senior Corporate Executive?!, Public Relations Executive. Boo hoo.

What about migrant farm worker? What about almost every job starting at minimum wage? Cashiers, fast food workers, janitors, etc.

Tim Hetherington and Chris Hondros would like a word with you.

No offense to the to the 2 photo journalists, but I think the photojournalist profession is as hardly as stressfull as being a Soldier in a Combat Arms MOS in a combat zone.

No offense to the to the 2 photo journalists, but I think the photojournalist profession is as hardly as stressfull as being a Soldier in a Combat Arms MOS in a combat zone.

Dead is dead?

Dead is dead?

Bullets and RPG´s don´t choose who they hit. If you are in the way of them you get hit whether you have a gun or not.

I also think these lists are crap. They use mega-general job titles and are written only to sell more readers.

Throw in Technical Support Engineer in there please. seriously one minute I gotta explain how RF and Docsis functions to one person, the next minute somebody will come screaming in here wanting BGP Fixed now! They don't know whats wrong but fix it..now!

*sigh* the day never ends...

The 2011 list of Most Stressful Jobs in America is out today and, to be honest, it's kinda weak. The list includes photojournalists, newscasters, PR people and ad executives
I see someone in the news industry made up the list.

The main stress those kinda people have is trying to avoid factchecking and getting papercuts when they republish a company and political press releases as news.

(going off of the summary here, I didn't RTFA)

I see someone in the news industry made up the list.

The main stress those kinda people have is trying to avoid factchecking and getting papercuts when they republish a company and political press releases as news.

(going off of the summary here, I didn't RTFA)

They must be students of Senator Jon Kyl...

Now we know why Washington is clueless. Real Estate Agents, Senior Corporate Executives, PR execs and newscasters? Puhleez! Maybe they should rank jobs that require actual performance.

Me thinks you guys are confusing "stressful" with "laborous." The list is off but not THAT far off.

Me thinks you guys are confusing "stressful" with "laborous." The list is off but not THAT far off.

No, they are confusing stressful with something that interferes with their golf game, spa/hair treatment and/or, long weekend. How many people would even notice if a Real Estate Agent, Senior Corporate Executive, PR exec and newscaster simply didn't come in one day? Let's see, their secretary, perhaps their boss and maybe even one or two disgruntled customers or underlings who have to carry the weight again.

No, they are confusing stressful with something that interferes with their golf game, spa/hair treatment and/or, long weekend. How many people would even notice if a Real Estate Agent, Senior Corporate Executive, PR exec and newscaster simply didn't come in one day? Let's see, their secretary, perhaps their boss and maybe even one or two disgruntled customers or underlings who have to carry the weight again.

Unless you have had one of those Oh sh** moments on live TV when you have an audio failure in either your headset or your microphone, you can't even begin to imagine the stress of a newscaster. I've had that moment. It's not a space I ever want to return to.

Unless you have had one of those Oh sh** moments on live TV when you have an audio failure in either your headset or your microphone, you can't even begin to imagine the stress of a newscaster. I've had that moment. It's not a space I ever want to return to.

Yeah, well, fuck that. Police officers and firefighters aren't on that list. I bet they would gladly trade your "oh shit" moment on live TV for their getting shot at or having a burning building fall down around them.

The most shocking part of the whole thing for me was that EMTs get $33k/year on average. These people serve such an essential and important role and make dirt. Sad.

Airline pilots being number one is weird to me though. Most people go into being a pilot because of their love and passion for flying. I just can't see most of them being stressed out. I'm sure they get into some sticky or stressful situations here and there, but really? #1?

Whoops, we need an edit function for my stupid post

I told them that in my above post. They blew him off. As if they really know what it's like being a war time journalist from the safety of their server rooms and desks :rolleyes:

I told them that in my above post. They blew him off. As if they really know what it's like being a war time journalist from the safety of their server rooms and desks :rolleyes:

I'd rather face the enemy with an M4 than a Nikon.

Admittedly piece by piece you can steal someones soul with a camera, but it's just not as effective

I'd rather face the enemy with an M4 than a Nikon.

Admittedly piece by piece you can steal someones soul with a camera, but it's just not as effective

Depends on your target. A lot of crooks have been exposed and taken down because of whistle blowers and journalists. Guns are effective against other enemy soldiers, but when it comes to crimes committed en-massed - crimes against humanity, corruption, torture, that's where journalism comes in.

Throw in Technical Support Engineer in there please. seriously one minute I gotta explain how RF and Docsis functions to one person, the next minute somebody will come screaming in here wanting BGP Fixed now! They don't know whats wrong but fix it..now!

*sigh* the day never ends...

If the person actually knows what BGP is let alone knowing there's a problem with the routing protocol I would think that person should be able to fix the routing issue him/herself....

You have NO idea what they did before Libya, do you?

But they were hardly typical of all photojournalists, were they? For every war zone correspondent there are 100 guys that take pictures of cute dogs and kids for front page filler.

crap. my job is on the list. now i feel like a loser :(

Back