Americans Are Getting Tired of Michael Bay's Transformers Films

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The latest Transformers film, “The Last Knight,” has opened at a franchise low of $69 million. This is a far cry from 2014’s “Age of Extinction,” which brought in over $100 million within the same timeframe. Some consider this to be a clear signal for a reboot, but foreign numbers are looking a lot better: the film has racked up $196 million so far in China and other territories.

“The Last Knight” carries an estimated $217 million production budget. This makes “Transformers: The Last Knight” the latest summer blockbuster to bank on overseas ticket sales to have a shot at turning a profit. In China, the big-budget action sequel made $41 million in its opening day alone. The projected international cume through Sunday is $196.2 million, powered by $123.4 million in China. Imax screens will account for $24.3 million of the film’s total earnings this weekend.

I stopped paying attention to those movies when whats-his-name was... listening to the internet... and as long as it was making mild beepity noises everything was fine. When .... the internet started making screeching sounds.... he declared someone was hacking the internet.... and I walked away forever.

That is the only thing I will ever remember of the new transformers movies.

I stopped paying attention when Mark W. tried to save the world with his super model daughter and race car driver driver wannabe boy friend. What a terrible movie. I guess they thought robot action every few minutes made up for a plot or something. Mark did his usual best but couldn't save that turd.

Yeah these movies are terrible. Happened to catch the second one? Third? idk on TV in the breakroom the other day, I couldn't really tell you what I was watching, just a bunch of people screaming, explosions & loud noises. Typical Micheal "Explosions!" Bay I guess.

Shame too, because Marky Mark is a good actor IMO, I guess you gotta pay the bills.

I don't think it's really the transformers name as much as the spectacle and special effects that bring people out. I could care less if there were any autobots, or deceptacons in the movie. I'd actually prefer if there were no humans at all in the plot.

The first one was great. The second one was mediocre, third was decent (mainly due to the actress). After that, my attention span greatly diminished so I was a bit bored with Extinction. As much as I would prefer to see Marky Mark employed over Shia, for some reason the movies were just less entertaining.

Truth be told, I didn't even know there was a new one.

Michael bay's filmography is horse shit. I only watched the movies for the transforming effect and giant robot fights and he even fucked that up after the first one!

I heard this is the last one with Michael bay. Hopefull, right?

Watched it over the weekend, my brain is still trying to comprehend what i saw....I love how megatrons new transforming effect from the fourth film has reverted to the older style version for some reason...as well as him seemingly having a totally new body...

First movie was ok though hard to figure out wtf was going on at some points because of the robots being in camera tea-bagging range. Pity every movie since then has totally contradicted what was established in the first movie, earth being an "unknown" planet being one of the main things. Earth seems more like a transformers whore house with what was to come in the next 4 movies as well as being their place of creation.

I'm waiting until american's will get tired of comic book movies... when do you think that will happen?

I started feeling like that but then I saw Logan, and realized it's not an issue with comic book movies, but making stuff for kids with ADHD. We need to go back to plot driven stories where action scenes can hold a single camera angle for more than .5 seconds. I'm really tired of just constant scene flickering. Show action where the camera sits in one place for 5+ seconds and I'll be amazed at awesome graphic footage.

Fix the stories + use steady camera shooting, and I'll go back to watching transformers again.

The latest Transformers film, “The Last Knight,” has opened at a franchise low of $69 million. This is a far cry from 2014’s “Age of Extinction,” which brought in over $100 million within the same timeframe. Some consider this to be a clear signal for a reboot, but foreign numbers are looking a lot better: the film has racked up $196 million so far in China and other territories.

“The Last Knight” carries an estimated $217 million production budget. This makes “Transformers: The Last Knight” the latest summer blockbuster to bank on overseas ticket sales to have a shot at turning a profit. In China, the big-budget action sequel made $41 million in its opening day alone. The projected international cume through Sunday is $196.2 million, powered by $123.4 million in China. Imax screens will account for $24.3 million of the film’s total earnings this weekend.

When I saw the cast on this last one.. it was really sad. I mean having them pretend to be serious in this joke fest was just embarrassing.

I remember seeing the first one. I hated the robot on robot fighting action, I couldn't follow it, it was just too fast, it was like, who is who again? Gave it a ton of lee-way thinking it was just me. Saw the 2nd movie, meh. Watched the third movie, same again, which bot was which again? After that I decided that was enough, I haven't seen the 4th, and have no plans on even watching the 5th. In the end I figure out it wasn't just me, it was just shitty generic pointy bay designs on the bots and the action scenes themselves were just a ball of pointy bits. It was the very forgettable movies that sucked, not my ability to keep up with it. Yea, very forgettable, I can't recall what they were about anymore, don't really care to.

One of my kids wants to see this mess. I'll wait till I can get it at a Redbox or something. $1 is more what it is worth to watch, or at least toss in the dvd player and let them watch it. A reboot would almost be nice, but I think they need to give it a rest for a while.

They killed bumble Bee (even calling him by name)in the shitty power rangers movie...

Hell i just watch them now to find all the product placements, and to see how GM turns bland cars "hip" for the millennials. Oh the modified cruise used to for rally racing in the last one, that was painful....

So I'm the only 80/90s kid who wasn't totally juiced on Grimlock and the gang in Transformers 4? God I love dinobots.

I am a Transformers fan and even still buy some of the toys. My huge problem with these movies is the character designs. I can even tell who the hell some of the robots are, it's ridiculous. Also in the comics they characters are all strong in personality and fairly interesting. The movies just ruin everything.

Last edited:
I started feeling like that but then I saw Logan, and realized it's not an issue with comic book movies, but making stuff for kids with ADHD. We need to go back to plot driven stories where action scenes can hold a single camera angle for more than .5 seconds. I'm really tired of just constant scene flickering. Show action where the camera sits in one place for 5+ seconds and I'll be amazed at awesome graphic footage.

Fix the stories + use steady camera shooting, and I'll go back to watching transformers again.

I'm fine with the usual level of story seen in the Marvel movies, but fucking hell the camera work sometimes. Anytime a director decides they need to do dozens of quick cuts to make action scenes "look better" (aka cut around actors that can't do action) I want to beat them upside the head with their cameras. I stopped watching Netflix's Iron Fist series due to that (among other things).

Just my opinion:

I'm tired of CGI being the star of movies. Properly used, CGI can greatly enhance a movie. Cloverfield is a good example of that. I had no idea as to how much of the non-monster material was CGI until I saw the special features. Far too often now movies remind me of non-playable video game demos. Bright visuals and big booms. Not my thing.

Again, just my opinion, so you kids get off my lawn!

So I'm the only 80/90s kid who wasn't totally juiced on Grimlock and the gang in Transformers 4? God I love dinobots.

The ones optimus pointed a gun at the back of their heads and said join us or die, at the end of the last movie? Then again optimus wanted to dismantle them at first in every retelling.

I decided to give myself a break from work after a few 16 hour days in a row and went to go see this new movie back on Thursday for the hell of it as I normally see most movies that come out for the hell of it, there was maybe 15 other people at a 7:00pm showing. From that I knew the movie was not going to be doing well in theaters.

This was a pretty bad movie, Decepticon were all made up for the movie except for Barricade and Megatron, had such little screen time that you really didn't care about any of them or recall their names. Actually most of the transformers had little screen time. They added a few new idiotic twist to the story that makes no sense. Part that I had to chuckle at was in the beginning you have the aftermath of Chicago and some parts are still on fire. Pretty sure a small 1 x 1 foot fire on a piece of metal or concrete would have burned out long ago given that this movie takes place years after the last one. Then you have that the government has sealed off the entire area and are patrolling the area and yet they leave a half dead transformer inside of a ship for years while they are capturing and/or killing off all the other ones. Also Mark W's character is the most wanted man in the world and yet his daughter is in college and the government is fine with that and never tried to use her as bait to catch them, instead they just monitor her phone in hopes that one day a call where lead them to him. However during the phone monitoring and tracing they need 20 seconds to trace the call as long as he doesn't speak and instead only listens to her, if he was to speak to her they would be able to use his side of the audio to detect his location immediately.

The ones optimus pointed a gun at the back of their heads and said join us or die, at the end of the last movie? Then again optimus wanted to dismantle them at first in every retelling.
I know it wasn't great, I was obsessed with those action figures growing up. I love the Dino bots and like most good things in my life never dreamt of them being in a live action movie. It's like the Power Rangers movie that just came out or the 2nd new TMNT (with bebop and rocksteady). They aren't good, I get that. But it reminds me of being a kid and waking up early.

what? You mean they have released a transformers movie after the 1984 animated movie? Guess i haven't noticed...

Makes this a see movie, hadn't heard much about it yet.

He is in it but not for a huge part of the movie. I want to say maybe 5 - 10 minutes combined of screen time for all the dinobots. Basically the story is that king Arthur had support from the transformers and an item used by Merlin is needed to save the world.

The first half of Logan is the best comic book movie of all time IMO. Like absofuckinglutely phenomenal. The story got a little silly once they decided to go to the farm. Still a good movie as a whole though.

First one was absolute trash. Unbelievable levels of cheese. Watched the next two whenever they were free on Netflix or something simply because they were so popular I figured I was being overly harsh. Nope. Just as shit. I'm going to go ahead and assume Michael Bay didn't suddenly learn how to make a decent movie in the meantime to make the remainder worth watching.

This was a pretty bad movie, Decepticon were all made up for the movie except for Barricade and Megatron, had such little screen time that you really didn't care about any of them or recall their names. Actually most of the transformers had little screen time.
This annoyed me too. They seemed to do a lot of building up names of Transformers that MIGHT BE IMPORTANT only to have them...
last one scene. Megatron's whole "I want my crew" scene was pointless since it took longer to introduce them than they actually lasted in the next scene. -.-;

instead they just monitor her phone in hopes that one day a call where lead them to him. However during the phone monitoring and tracing they need 20 seconds to trace the call as long as he doesn't speak and instead only listens to her, if he was to speak to her they would be able to use his side of the audio to detect his location immediately.

I thought he explained that he couldn't talk because he didn't want to tell his daughter anything that could risk her safety in some way, so he just didn't say anything at all. I dunno, it was all hazy.

Only watch the first one and only because someone invited me. Otherwise I would not see a single one of these Transformer movies. FYI I hated the first one.

On the other hand if George Miller makes one, I would go out to see it.

first one was decent...all the others are just expensive CGI, quick cuts and explosions (which makes for reference quality Blu-rays)...I can't remember any of the storylines nor any of the Transformers outside of Optimus, Megatron and Bumblebee...oh and I also remember scantily clad Megan Fox

I remember watching the 1st Transformers in 2007 thinking it wasn't horrible and was entertaining enough to let the brain check out for 2 hours, I watched it again earlier this year and man that movie was just painful to watch. This is supposed to be the last Bay-Formers movie so a reboot will be happening in the next couple of years. I think the best way to do the reboot would be to take it back to beginning and show the war start on Cybertron something like the War for Cybertron and Fall of Cybertron games from a couple of years back, this could make for some good stories and completely removes the human equation.

Back