American Airlines without Pilots for Christmas after Scheduling System Glitch

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
American Airlines is offering its pilots 150 percent of their hourly pay to work during the holidays after a glitch allowed too many pilots to take vacation at the same time. Due to an error in the system pilots use to bid for time off, thousands of flights during the holiday season currently do not have pilots assigned to fly them.

The union estimates some 15,000 flights next month don't have pilots assigned to fly them. "The airline is a 24/7 op," said Dennis Tajer, an American Airlines captain and a spokesman for the pilot's union. "The system went from responsibly scheduling everybody to becoming Santa Claus to everyone. The computer said, 'Hey ya'll. You want the days off? You got it.'"

Unfortunately, it is the major carrier at my primary airport and most of the places I travel. Seriously putting a crimp in my plans to surprise the family for the holidays. I can book the flight, but no guarantee there will be a pilot on the flight. Sucks.

Wait, the scheduler doesn't have a TOS that says basically "In the event of a screw up, we reserve the right to void any and all transactions"? What's up with that? Pretty sure the flight reservation site the public sees has a TOS with that type of clause in it.

sounds like a group of pilots got together and bribed the IT guy in charge of the system to make a glitch for them

Wait, the scheduler doesn't have a TOS that says basically "In the event of a screw up, we reserve the right to void any and all transactions"? What's up with that? Pretty sure the flight reservation site the public sees has a TOS with that type of clause in it.

So refund what, 15,000 x 150 seats x $100 a pop, so $225 million? Or just make it a living hell for both staff and customers, which one do you think they will choose?

So refund what, 15,000 x 150 seats x $100 a pop, so $225 million? Or just make it a living hell for both staff and customers, which one do you think they will choose?

Uhhhh.. you think flights are an average of $100 a person? Try more like $200-$250... and those are the cheap tickets unless you are just doing a very short flight.

And don't forget the ridiculous baggage fees.

Uhhhh.. you think flights are an average of $100 a person? Try more like $200-$250... and those are the cheap tickets unless you are just doing a very short flight.

And don't forget the ridiculous baggage fees.

I was going for mins, hell some of the flights could be over 150 passengers.

Unfortunately, it is the major carrier at my primary airport and most of the places I travel. Seriously putting a crimp in my plans to surprise the family for the holidays. I can book the flight, but no guarantee there will be a pilot on the flight. Sucks.

Would you prefer the autopilot to fly the flight for you? It certainly could!

Better up that to 250%.. Otherwise I don't see the incentive... Most pilots make good money anyways.. It is going to take a massive increase to entice these pilots away from their Christmas plans..

Don't worry, I'm a pilot, I flew Cessna's during the war.

Now, what does this switch do .. MS FlightSim never had this ...

Would you prefer the autopilot to fly the flight for you? It certainly could!

airplane-autopilot-o.gif

So what you're saying is you're about to see massive price drops in ticket prices for American Airlines and 140% overbooking on each flight ?

Better up that to 250%.. Otherwise I don't see the incentive... Most pilots make good money anyways.. It is going to take a massive increase to entice these pilots away from their Christmas plans..

Not really. Sure the captains make 100k plus. But that first officer (who has the same training and potentially more experience but hasnt been with the company as long) is probably making 35k.

Chances are they wont be able to find more pilots....http://www.businessinsider.com/nobo...more-airline-jobs-aviation-lost-glamor-2017-9

Whew, we are visiting four different cities over the Christmas holiday - luckily none of the several airlines we booked from were American!

Wife, myself & son have ~ $5k in tickets to Brazil to see my in-laws in mid to late Dec.....American better come through.

Back