America’s First 10 Gigabit City

HardOCP News

[H] News
America’s first 10 gigabit city....is a place where none of us live. ;)

“Salisbury, a city of around 34,000 residents located along the I-85 corridor between Charlotte and Greensboro, announced today that it has become “America’s first 10 gigabit city,” as it turns on the city-owned “Fibrant” network running tech developed by a company called Calix.

With that bandwidth can I have a steak with all the trimmings e-mailed to me?

That makes the 2nd 10Gbps service in the US, thanks for municipal initiatives. Checkmate Comcraps.

The first folks in Salisbury to get the higher-speed service will be at small Catawba College, a liberal arts college with around 1,200 students.
Totally worth it! :D

Might be worth the 45 min commute to the city. Lol. Looks like I have a new city to look up when I start lease shopping in December.

Might be worth the 45 min commute to the city. Lol. Looks like I have a new city to look up when I start lease shopping in December.

According to Google I'm 42 minutes from it. Might be worth the commute for me, too. :D

Wow, I know a few people that live there. Unfortunately, nothing like that further west towards Asheville :(

Here's what Google Fiber looks like. For some reason, there are these rumors going around you don't really get a full 1gb. Just not true. I actually hit 125mb/s to 160mb's often

iCawLjQ.jpg

Holy shit. I have 1Gpbs fiber also, but I don't get anywhere near 125MB/sec on BNet. I just uninstalled SCII to download it again. I'm getting ~5MB/sec tops.

Steam I get ~60MB/sec when I download from it. In fact, I haven't been able to max out my connection on a single service ever.

Who is your service through?

We've had our service now going on 3 years. Over the years I've had a handful of techs and one Google network engineer over here to do some testing here at the house. I am sure they have it dialed in.

I can download 100gb - 200gb without ever paying attention in a handful of hours just messing around.

Holy shit. I have 1Gpbs fiber also, but I don't get anywhere near 125MB/sec on BNet. I just uninstalled SCII to download it again. I'm getting ~5MB/sec tops.

Steam I get ~60MB/sec when I download from it. In fact, I haven't been able to max out my connection on a single service ever.

Your ISP can only guarantee speed up to the borders of their network.

After that, network congestion is out of their hands.

They CAN provision their peering site links appropriately to deal with traffic flowing in from and out to other networks, but they can't control what happens on the other end.

Anyway, the funny thing about 10Gbit Internet is that you'd need at least 10 computers wired with gigabit ethernet going full bore to take full advantage of it.

Most households these days don't even use any wired Ethernet at all. In a way, this is a brilliant marketing scheme. They can sell you bandwidth they are almost guaranteed most subscribers will never ever use.

Only a handful of households with MANY computers, or the rare folks who have 10gig Ethernet will be able to.

North State Communications.

Not even speed tests max out my connection unless I am using their own, in house speed test.

I used to live there. Started out with 25x25mb @ $45 at the house and was bumped to 50x50 for free.

I still work there, and my office is right across the street from where Fibrant is based. On the business side of things is a little more expensive... we use them for backup / guest internet at 3 locations in town and I think it's somewhere in the ~$100 range for 20x10.

I'll check back with them regarding speed and price now that they've done all the bragging.

Ha ha, I had a college roommate that lived there! But I think he has since moved out to Cali for some woman... :rolleyes: and no, I don't have pics of either.

Anyone who moves/lives there now, mind opening your house up as a bed and breakfast for random [H]ers? :D

Apparently they also 50 meg up/down service for $45 bucks. I would drop Centurylink in a heartbeat for that.

10 gigabit switches and routers are not that common at homes. And the last I checked they weren't exactly cheap either.

So ironically the LAN and their ethernet cards will be throttling those home users now.

Are there any websites that take advantage of that speed?

And where do you find 10 gigabit routers?

HAHA.. i laught at you American's with your flash fiber internet. You think you are all so fast and spiffy!

We are installing a new Fiber To The Node last-mile copper network here in AUS. Its such new and lightening fast technology!!

/me hangs head :(

We need more competition like this to force the local ISP's to offer better service, but rather than upgrade their infrastructure, they spend their money lobbying politicians to restrict anyone who dares to offer better service. .

One thing that Fibrant may not be able to do is sell high-speed service outside of its home county. a 2011 state law, heavily backed by Time Warner Cable, forbids municipal Internet providers from selling service to municipalities in other counties that may be in need. The city of Wilson, which has its own muni broadband service, successfully petitioned the FCC to void this law, but the state has filed suit to overturn the FCC’s decision.

So the first people getting it are college students who made the supremely stupid decision to chase the most worthless degree imaginable. Perfect.

10 gigabit switches and routers are not that common at homes. And the last I checked they weren't exactly cheap either.

So ironically the LAN and their ethernet cards will be throttling those home users now.

They are non-existent in homes. Unless people are spending thousands of dollars for home routers and $250 on network boards for home use.

Are there any websites that take advantage of that speed?

I'd imagine that it would be pretty difficult to max that speed out without many simultaneous connections going at the same time. Torrenting that Ubuntu ISO would probably be very fast :D

And where do you find 10 gigabit routers?

There are some expensive cisco/juniper/etc enterprise type routers that would do the job, but - well - they are very expensive.

Here's what I would do.

Get a dual port 10gig server NIC and run pfSense as a router on a virtual machine, hooking the output up to a switch connected to all wired devices, and a standalone wireless access point for wifi.

I'm already doing this with pfSense on my VMWare ESXi box, but with gigabit instead of 10gig, and I'm using a Ubiquiti Unifi Wireless AP.

I would have to imagine though, that the ISP would likely have to provide some sort of router though, as setting something like this up themselves would likely be outside the capabilities of most of their customers. (Then again, most of their customers probably wouldn't opt for the 10gig tier)

The problem with 10gig is that it is expensive and fragmented.

First take a look at switches and NIC's. The 10gig versions are MUCH more expensive than their gigabit counterparts.

Then there's the fact that industry still hasn't settled on a single standard. Most IT professionals prefer one of the many optical standards, as they are lower latency and use less power. They are also a pain in the butt and expensive to use due to the need of not just getting a NIC, but also needing a compatible optical transducer for each end of each cable. This is confusing for home use, as there are several components and variables you need to buy to make it work. There are many types of different cable depending on the application. Those cables can come with several different types of connectors on the end, and there are also a few different types of optical transducers that need to go on each side of the cable in order for it to work, and while SFP+ is technically a standard, they usually don't work unless specifically for the model of NIC/Switch you want to use them with.

In short, it's a mess.

Then there is copper 10Gbase-T. The experience is much like the wired Ethernet we've been using for years, but 10gig instead of slower speeds, and relying on Cat 6a / Cat 7 cables. The problem is that this hasn't really taken off, as IT professionals shun it due to the higher latencies and higher power use mentioned above, and there isn't much of a consumer market for it, as the people who are even willing to consider using wired Ethernet instead of Wifi only despite its clear overwhelming superiority are a small minority of the consumer market, and most of those who do, are more than happy with simple gigabit Ethernet.

Personally I can't wait for 10gig hardware to become more affordable and commonplace. I would like us to get to the point with 10Gig that we currently are with gigabit (included on board with every damned motherboard out there, add-in cards are ~$10, and 100% of all switches you can buy support it on all ports, not just uplinks ports) but it is unclear given the distaste for ANY wires among most consumers, if this ill ever happen at all, even with the passing of time.

Instead most people will use slow, insecure, unreliable Wifi for the "convenience" when it takes much more work to get it working than just plugging in a cable, and the time you spend setting it up and troubleshooting it when you have problems is anything but convenient.

As with everything else in the world, enthusiasts appreciating a good thing, get sabotaged by the lowest common denominator.

Pretty much this. Anything over 11mbps would be pointless since that's the fastest my wireless router can handle.

Yep.

Products like these usually move from Enterprise into the mainstream to fulfil a need though.

Hopefully this will be enough of a need that we will start seeing some pro-sumer models that feature 10gig Ethernet, at less than ridiculous Enterprise pricing.

What 10gig really needs to come down in price is volume. if we could only start seeing 10GBase-T as the standard on new motherboards, this would be a huge step in this direction.

Zarathustra[H];1041835666 said:
I'd imagine that it would be pretty difficult to max that speed out without many simultaneous connections going at the same time. Torrenting that Ubuntu ISO would probably be very fast :D

There are some expensive cisco/juniper/etc enterprise type routers that would do the job, but - well - they are very expensive.

Here's what I would do.

Get a dual port 10gig server NIC and run pfSense as a router on a virtual machine, hooking the output up to a switch connected to all wired devices, and a standalone wireless access point for wifi.

I'm already doing this with pfSense on my VMWare ESXi box, but with gigabit instead of 10gig, and I'm using a Ubiquiti Unifi Wireless AP.

I would have to imagine though, that the ISP would likely have to provide some sort of router though, as setting something like this up themselves would likely be outside the capabilities of most of their customers. (Then again, most of their customers probably wouldn't opt for the 10gig tier)

The problem with 10gig is that it is expensive and fragmented.

First take a look at switches and NIC's. The 10gig versions are MUCH more expensive than their gigabit counterparts.

Then there's the fact that industry still hasn't settled on a single standard. Most IT professionals prefer one of the many optical standards, as they are lower latency and use less power. They are also a pain in the butt and expensive to use due to the need of not just getting a NIC, but also needing a compatible optical transducer for each end of each cable. This is confusing for home use, as there are several components and variables you need to buy to make it work. There are many types of different cable depending on the application. Those cables can come with several different types of connectors on the end, and there are also a few different types of optical transducers that need to go on each side of the cable in order for it to work, and while SFP+ is technically a standard, they usually don't work unless specifically for the model of NIC/Switch you want to use them with.

In short, it's a mess.

Then there is copper 10Gbase-T. The experience is much like the wired Ethernet we've been using for years, but 10gig instead of slower speeds, and relying on Cat 6a / Cat 7 cables. The problem is that this hasn't really taken off, as IT professionals shun it due to the higher latencies and higher power use mentioned above, and there isn't much of a consumer market for it, as the people who are even willing to consider using wired Ethernet instead of Wifi only despite its clear overwhelming superiority are a small minority of the consumer market, and most of those who do, are more than happy with simple gigabit Ethernet.

Personally I can't wait for 10gig hardware to become more affordable and commonplace. I would like us to get to the point with 10Gig that we currently are with gigabit (included on board with every damned motherboard out there, add-in cards are ~$10, and 100% of all switches you can buy support it on all ports, not just uplinks ports) but it is unclear given the distaste for ANY wires among most consumers, if this ill ever happen at all, even with the passing of time.

Instead most people will use slow, insecure, unreliable Wifi for the "convenience" when it takes much more work to get it working than just plugging in a cable, and the time you spend setting it up and troubleshooting it when you have problems is anything but convenient.

As with everything else in the world, enthusiasts appreciating a good thing, get sabotaged by the lowest common denominator.

The thing about me is I can't wait until 10 gigabit ethernet becomes commonplace. I'm planing to upgrade my FreeNAS to 10GBe pretty soon.

I like the idea of a homebuilt 10 GBe router with pfsense. I'll look into that, I have lots of old rigs laying around!

Back