AMD's StoreMI V2 Updates Support, 400-Series AMD Chipsets Added

kac77

2[H]4U
AMD's StoreMI V2 Updates Support, 400-Series AMD Chipsets Added

"AMD just updated its new StoreMI V2 to support AMD's 400 series chipsets like the X470 and B450 platforms. AMD initially only supported the updated version of the storage software on the more expensive X570 platform, but promised to expand support to older platforms throughout the course of the year. "

Last edited:
Does that mean it's got B550 support now? I was going to setup Store MI on my sons upgraded PC with a B550 and low and behold they discontinued it and the new version only supported the x570... so you could run the older version on B450/x470 and the newer version on x570, but couldn't run either on the B550. Now that the PC is setup I don't know if I really want to re-install everything just to test out this feature to see if it's worth it, lol.

StoreMI V2 addresses the problem by moving to a caching system, which copies all data from the slower drive to the faster drive. That means there are two copies of any data held in the SSD. This lowers your storage capacity for the StoreMI volume to the size of the slower drive, however this solution is far safer because it's bulletproof if your StoreMI virtual partition gets corrupted – you will still have a copy of the data on the slower drive.

Sounds way more like Primocache now. Might be tempted to give it a try again someday, my first attempts with Storemi were disastrous.
I've been super happy with Primocache since I switched over.

"AMD just updated its new StoreMI V2 to support AMD's 400 series chipsets like the X470 and B450 platforms. AMD initially only supported the updated version of the storage software on the more expensive X570 platform, but promised to expand support to older platforms throughout the course of the year. " - Tom's Hardware
link doesnt go anywhere.

I finally decided to try StoreMI V2. I had been using the original version. It turned out to be kind of a pain in the butt. One really annoying thing seems to be that it is picky about the NVMe driver that you are using. I have two Samsung M.2 NVMe SSDs in my main computer. I had installed the Samsung NVMe driver. It wouldn't detect any of my SSDs as eligible drives until I uninstalled the Samsung NVMe driver and went back to using the Microsoft driver. I'm not sure if there is really any performance difference. Finally, with the Microsoft NVMe driver, StoreMI V2 would detect my SSDs. I used one of them as cache and it seems to work so far. StoreMI V2 is a very slim program that is almost completely devoid of all but the most basic settings. It only caches reads, not writes. It gives a percentage to show you how full your cache is. It seemed to fill up very slowly, even with me intentionally accessing as much content on the drive as possible.

With the StoreMI V2 SSD caching enabled, it works a lot like Intel SRT SSD caching works/worked. It's definitely still an improvement over the HDD by itself, especially once the cache starts to fill up a bit. I have to say though, the performance of the tiered storage approach in the original StoreMI program gave me a better experience overall. I sort of miss it, especially having accelerated write performance, and the combined space of both drives. I just didn't want to run abandoned software and didn't want to pay for fuzedrive either, so I guess I'll be giving this a try for now. Hopefully AMD continues to develop it and expand on features, especially write acceleration.

Still super slim without much customization? Can you at least pick the size of the cache now? Can you unfuze the drive without it taking an extremely large time (and then failing anyway, was my experience.)

Can you at least pick the size of the cache now?

I don't believe so. You can only set it up on the drive level, not the partition level. It wasn't a big deal for me because I have a 256GB SSD just for cache, but if you were trying to just use a chunk of your SSD as cache, I don't think that would work.

Can you unfuze the drive without it taking an extremely large time (and then failing anyway, was my experience.)

I had a similar experience when trying to break apart the tiered drive before I uninstalled StoreMI V1. It took a long time and then gave me an error afterward. Thankfully it seems like all of my data was intact on the HDD afterward. I mostly have VMs and less-used steam games on there, and all the VMs and games still work after the transition.

Back