AMD's Soft Price Cuts.

coldpower27

[H]ard|Gawd
There is a disparity again between the official charts and the current prices on the 3600+, 3800+, 4200+, 4600+ Dual Cores from AMD.

From what I heard there is a rumor floating about that AMD will accept the challenge of Intel's price cuts on April 22nd by cutting prices on April 9th.

Check out Newegg and ClubIt to verify.

For example:

3600+ Official $102, 3600+ Newegg $91
3800+ Official $113, 3800+ Newegg $100
4200+ Official $159, 4200+ Newegg $110
4600+ Official $195, 4600+ Newegg $126

This is incredible. :D

Is AMD even making a profit off of these chips or are they sending them out to free up inventory.

Definatly good move for the consumer

Doubt it. One of AMD's biggest problems is that they can't produce enough chips to fill their orders. For instance, my best friend works at CompUSA, and a guy called up from Hewlett Packard to order 40,000 of the SB600 southbridges chipsets. The most my friend can find... not even 1/10th of that.

when will they drop the opteron 939 lineup, Im not willing to upgrade to am2 or core2duo yet, too tight on money

Is AMD even making a profit off of these chips or are they sending them out to free up inventory.

Definatly good move for the consumer

I bet you'd be shocked to find out how much money they actually have in a single chip.
It's probably next to nothing.

There is a disparity again between the official charts and the current prices on the 3600+, 3800+, 4200+, 4600+ Dual Cores from AMD.

From what I heard there is a rumor floating about that AMD will accept the challenge of Intel's price cuts on April 22nd by cutting prices on April 9th.

Check out Newegg and ClubIt to verify.

For example:

3600+ Official $102, 3600+ Newegg $91
3800+ Official $113, 3800+ Newegg $100
4200+ Official $159, 4200+ Newegg $110
4600+ Official $195, 4600+ Newegg $126

This is incredible. :D

Well alrighty then, looks like its finally time to upgrade that 3500+ :)!

PrixAMD9april07.jpg

this is what our guys say, up to %40 price cuts.

I'm not sure how reliable those numbers are, but holy fucking shit if they are. Pick up one with an F3 stepping and you'll be looking at 3.1-3.4 with the voltage up, 3-3.1 on stock vcore. Unbelievable.

I'm kinda upset, I ordered the 3600+ a few days ago and got it yesterday... now it dropped already. I would have got the 4600+ if I knew it would drop. That's the brisbane right? LoL

*just checked... it's the windsor, but the 3600+ brisbane did drop by like 4 bucks. LoL. Mine's able to run 3.0 stable, but the ram isn't... even with a bump in voltage, still errors...

*just checked... it's the windsor, but the 3600+ brisbane did drop by like 4 bucks. LoL. Mine's able to run 3.0 stable, but the ram isn't... even with a bump in voltage, still errors...

divider! A64s aren't bandwidth hungry anyway.

i bought 2 to test, but only able to get 2.9 stable on both. probalby just the stepping. But 2.9ghz is still very impressive from 1.9! woohoo.

AMD is going nuts with these price drops. they need to get r600 out fast. They need Barcelona samples to show how good/bad they are!!

I bet you'd be shocked to find out how much money they actually have in a single chip.
It's probably next to nothing.

they are losing a ton of money so I doubt it is "next to nothing".
what is next to nothing is AMD profit margins. the reason that these
AMD prices caved in is simple. CORE2DUO. AMD got caught with a lot
of old high priced product relative to Intel. You see the result.
And I would wait till late April if you really want to play the game
of how low can SHE (AMD) go.

PrixAMD9april07.jpg

lame. the core2duo e6300 is being replaced by a better chip in one month and it isn't going to be $183. It will be $163.But Intel chips quite close in performance to this one will be priced below $120. Obviously an AMD biased table above.

they are losing a ton of money so I doubt it is "next to nothing".
what is next to nothing is AMD profit margins. the reason that these
AMD prices caved in is simple. CORE2DUO. AMD got caught with a lot
of old high priced product relative to Intel. You see the result.
And I would wait till late April if you really want to play the game
of how low can SHE (AMD) go.
The chips themselves cost next to nothing. The reason high-end CPUs cost so much is because they have to pay for their fabs.

Or what, you think AMD and Intel kept Celerons and Semprons as a not-for-profit charity operation?

AMD is getting rid of old 90nm K8's for the K10 replacement in a few months. 65nm is merly a way to get more of the old tech out at a even less cost to them. Prob costs half as much as it takes to make a 90nm tech specially now. Thats why prices are falling like rocks in a land slide. o_O They can keep this up forever once they reach a high 65nm yeld. They just can't make enough chips to supply the world. 65nm helps a great deal. But damn their inventory is almost gone, once they make a chip its already sold. These chips are history tech, since K10 will be so much faster at stock.

2.1ghz Kuma X2 2100's will destroy a FX62 at stock speeds by about 5% prob be more equal to a X2 6000+ is the scarry part. A FX62 won't be worth $200 in a few months. Expect a X2 2100+ to be priced at about $200. Thats a insane thought really...

lame. the core2duo e6300 is being replaced by a better chip in one month and it isn't going to be $183. It will be $163.But Intel chips quite close in performance to this one will be priced below $120. Obviously an AMD biased table above.

Technically right if the date is April 9th so AMD will have those prices competing against Core 2 Duo old prices for a whole 2 weeks!! ;) Then Intel's own price drops come in and things normalize again.

So you will have, assuming prices are correct.... and when Intel's price drops come into effect... as well as no overclocking into the equation.
Pentium D 935 vs Athlon 64x2 3800+ (A bit in AMD's favor)
Core 2 Duo E4300 vs Athlon 64x2 4400+ ~ (About even)
Core 2 Duo E4400 vs Athlon 64x2 4800+ ~ (About even)
Core 2 Duo E6300 vs Athlon 64x2 5000+ ~ (A bit in AMD's favor)
Core 2 Duo E6400 vs Athlon 64x2 5600+ ~ (A bit in AMD's favor)
Core 2 Duo E6600 vs Athlon 64x2 6000+ (AMD's a tad more expensive)

sorry, but those CPU's would have to get close to free for me to consider them, AMD is "taking out the trash" so to speak, wait until the next launch comes around to see value per dollar

sorry, but those CPU's would have to get close to free for me to consider them, AMD is "taking out the trash" so to speak, wait until the next launch comes around to see value per dollar

The thing is AMD's Desktop K8L/K10, are still a bit away, your looking at a minimum of likely 3 months since it is Q3 2007 up to a max of 6, if your willing to wait, that the thing with the waiting game there will be always be something better around the corner.

I'm planning to build a new rig within the next few months, but Core 2 Duo is still a bit pricey for me. How much of a steal would a Brisbane 4000+ be at $115 CAD? It's weird because the 3600+ is $120 CAD. My head says to wait for C2D prices to drop, but my superego wants this deal now.:confused:

The thing is AMD's Desktop K8L/K10, are still a bit away, your looking at a minimum of likely 3 months since it is Q3 2007 up to a max of 6, if your willing to wait, that the thing with the waiting game there will be always be something better around the corner.

which is why if i wanted to still have a PC, when Core 2 Duo came out, i would have bought one quickly, not wait until now, anyone stuck with a A64 now needs to just wait a few months, normally i would agree and say buy the best you can now, but not when emerging technologies are about to go public

i don't feel i'm 'stuck' with a64, very happy about its price/perf.

amd needs to stop producing several speed grades. there's like $10-15 b/w each x2 now, it's crazy!

anyways, good news for consumers and bad for AMD.

So here's until k10!

Doubt it. One of AMD's biggest problems is that they can't produce enough chips to fill their orders. For instance, my best friend works at CompUSA, and a guy called up from Hewlett Packard to order 40,000 of the SB600 southbridges chipsets. The most my friend can find... not even 1/10th of that.

HP buy's their crap from CompUSA? Djnes, can you confirm this? I figured they would have purchase agreements directly with AMD, Intel, and the rest of their vendors instead of driving down to CompUSA. :rolleyes:

which is why if i wanted to still have a PC, when Core 2 Duo came out, i would have bought one quickly, not wait until now, anyone stuck with a A64 now needs to just wait a few months, normally i would agree and say buy the best you can now, but not when emerging technologies are about to go public

This is still good for folks with s939 boards (single core) and am2 users with low end chips looking for a little moe punch out of their existing hardware. Pricing and availablity of barkie is still TBA other than the high end parts.

Unless you're a "Me First" kind of person, use these prices cuts to your advantage and do a simple cpu upgrade. Wait and see if the next big thing is worth it, or switch to a c2d later. Waiting for more than 90 days is pointless. Buy what you can afford and enjoy it NOW.

Depends where you are, if your not on the AM2 platform, then jumping on these deals doesn't make as much sense as you would need to buy both a processor and memory, and perhaps a video card as well if your still on AGP. I would also suggest waiting if your looking for Quad Core as were looking at some very significant drops in Q3. But with Dual Core down to the $80-$300 range, it's not like we can't afford them.

It depends, do you want the performance today and be able to enjoy it, or wait for something better for the same price or the same performance for cheaper sometime down the road.

The price war is already going very strongly now, were getting alot of performance for our dollar, Dual Cores are very cheap now, and even more so by the end of April.

The difference today is that while we had a pretty good idea of Core 2 Duo's performance level several months in advance, the data on K8L/K10 is vague.

Actually considering that Core 2 Duo hasn't had a price drop since it's inception, those buying Core 2's at the beginning made out the best as they got to enjoy their performance level for may months. At least on the Intel side we know when intel's price drops are going to come into effect, well in advance.

Wait.. so your telling us that your friend who works at CompUSA, got a call from a guy at HP, to order 40k SB600 Southbridge chips?

Last I checked, CompUSA was not in the component brokerage business, and a Tier1 OEM like HP, would contact the manufacturer directly anyways...

Tell your "Geek Squad" (or whatever CompUSA calls it) junkie, to put the crack pipe down, and try not to regurgitate his nonsense yourself.

Hahaha, oh dear, someone ordering southbridges from compusa aahahahahaaa

I'll put this plainly: if you believe that, you are a moron!

The chips themselves cost next to nothing. The reason high-end CPUs cost so much is because they have to pay for their fabs.

Or what, you think AMD and Intel kept Celerons and Semprons as a not-for-profit charity operation?

tell AMD shareholders the chips cost next to nothing. If they do cost next to nothing they sell for next to nothing. end result is AMD loses money. btw low end chips are built in fabs too are they not? amd has two problems. the first of course is they rattled Intel's cage and woke the dang sleeping beast up. Now its awake and Angry. Second, AMD and all the hardware guys, ramped up for a non-existent Vista "splash". It's supply / demand. There is too much supply hence the price goes down to bring about market equilibrium. AMD has the "double" problem of having parts that don't measure up at current price points to the C2D.

This is a golden time for geeks like us. It's a great time to buy a machine. Buy as much machine as you can afford to in May. ;-)

LOL scam SCAM. You serious.. No one from HP would call CompUSA to order that many chips from a retailer.

Technically right if the date is April 9th so AMD will have those prices competing against Core 2 Duo old prices for a whole 2 weeks!! ;) Then Intel's own price drops come in and things normalize again.

So you will have, assuming prices are correct.... and when Intel's price drops come into effect... as well as no overclocking into the equation.
Pentium D 935 vs Athlon 64x2 3800+ (A bit in AMD's favor)
Core 2 Duo E4300 vs Athlon 64x2 4400+ ~ (About even)
Core 2 Duo E4400 vs Athlon 64x2 4800+ ~ (About even)
Core 2 Duo E6300 vs Athlon 64x2 5000+ ~ (A bit in AMD's favor)
Core 2 Duo E6400 vs Athlon 64x2 5600+ ~ (A bit in AMD's favor)
Core 2 Duo E6600 vs Athlon 64x2 6000+ (AMD's a tad more expensive)

Good summary but imo AMD needs to be better than just a "bit". ;-) That's because Intel has higher brand equity and has now recaptured the extreme builders/gamers to its platform. All things being equal, most are now going to choose C2D over X2. Those price drops match Intel but AMD needs to be Better than Intel to win the marginal buyer back.

Add that little "bit" to the bigger bit you save with an AMD motherboard, and an AMD system starts looking good in the midrange, and the better choice for a low end system.

Add that little "bit" to the bigger bit you save with an AMD motherboard, and an AMD system starts looking good in the midrange, and the better choice for a low end system.

As you should save that little "bit" when you're getting your ass handed to ya'. Just as P4 was cheaper when it was getting the shit kicked out of it. Yup, at that time they had cheaper motherboards as well. Still not the best deal. I'd only look to upgrade a current system on the cheap but never for a new build. Not worth that little "bit" saved IMHO.

Oh and I'll gladly pay a little more for better-than-nVidia Intel based i965P motherboards:D But that's for a different thread.

But you do have to see it in an AMD fan kind of way? Many of them would wait a year from now to avoid buying anything from Intel IMHO so 6 months is nothing. I predict we don't see Kuma, the desktop dual core, until Nov-07. If it is anywhere close+/- performance wise to any C2D at the same speed, AMDers will buy it in droves in this market. Unless you own Sc-1207 you'll not see the Quad core version until later as well. AMD has to target the highest ROI to help their B-L. Then worry about the rest later. They don't give a shit about the Duby229's of the whole and rightly so:)

The fans thinking the price points of AUA (AMD's Upgraded Architecture) will be affordable better look to X2's launch prices for guidance.

If anyone wants to know when the AUA processors go on sale, just look at the Price Cuts Intel plans for that Quarter. As always, Intel NEVER cuts prices in a void.

This is still good for folks with s939 boards (single core) and am2 users with low end chips looking for a little moe punch out of their existing hardware. Pricing and availablity of barkie is still TBA other than the high end parts.

Unless you're a "Me First" kind of person, use these prices cuts to your advantage and do a simple cpu upgrade. Wait and see if the next big thing is worth it, or switch to a c2d later. Waiting for more than 90 days is pointless. Buy what you can afford and enjoy it NOW.

I will do a simple CPU upgrade on my old Sc-939 3500+ rig and might move it to my Den for HTPC duties.

If anyone wants to know when the AUA processors go on sale, just look at the Price Cuts Intel plans for that Quarter. As always, Intel NEVER cuts prices in a void.

And what exactly forced Intel's April 22 price cuts? Certainly not the gaping "void" of competitive amd kit. This price cut on April 22 is a tactical thing of beauty designed for nothing other than to stick it to their pal, AMD. ;-)

Good summary but imo AMD needs to be better than just a "bit". ;-) That's because Intel has higher brand equity and has now recaptured the extreme builders/gamers to its platform. All things being equal, most are now going to choose C2D over X2. Those price drops match Intel but AMD needs to be Better than Intel to win the marginal buyer back.

Yeah it depends, these cuts will probably keep people on AM2, but they may or may not do very much for S939er's.

Competition is pretty tough right now, AMD doesn't want to charge so much less then Intel that they get the bargain basement image back again from the Athlon XP days.

Hell this doesn't do very much for me, as I am waiting for a P35 Derivative as well as a 8600 GTS before I upgrade. Hopefully the motherboard will support Celeron D. :D

Utter buncha CRAP!!!!! You take the crown from duby229 with statements like this....:eek:
Man, AMD-roids are desperate theses days....:rolleyes:

Back