AMD's Reviewers Guide for the Ryzen 9 7950X3D Confidential Leaks

erek

[H]F Junkie
Results are out

“AMD put the Ryzen 9 7950X3D up against Intel's Core i9 13900K, both systems were equipped with 32 GB of DDR5-6000 memory and liquid cooling. Tests were done with both AMD's own Radeon RX 7900 XTX and an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 graphics card. We won't go into details of the various benchmarks here, as you can find those below, but according to AMD's figures, AMD came out on top with a 5.6 percent win over the Intel CPU, at 1080p using the Radeon RX 7900 XTX and by 6 percent using the GeForce RTX 4090. This was across 22 different games, with Horizon Zero Dawn and F1 2021 being the games favouring the AMD CPU the most and Far Cry 6 and the CPU test in Ashes of the Singularity being the games favouring the AMD CPU the least. TechPowerUp will of course have a review ready for your perusing by the time the new CPUs launches next week, so you'll have to wait until then to see if AMD's own figures hold true or not.”

Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/305181/amds-reviewers-guide-for-the-ryzen-9-7950x3d-leaks

This is why they delayed the 7800X3D. It's an uplift - but not that much for the money. Gamers will want the 8 core part, for sure.
Nah they delayed it so TSMC had more time to work with ASML on the hardware they use for lining up the stacked cache chips. It had a margin or error a little smaller than the width of a human hair, which was fine for 7nm but unacceptable for 5nm. Failure rates when stacking at that size were too high to be profitable.

Results are out

“AMD put the Ryzen 9 7950X3D up against Intel's Core i9 13900K, both systems were equipped with 32 GB of DDR5-6000 memory and liquid cooling. Tests were done with both AMD's own Radeon RX 7900 XTX and an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 graphics card. We won't go into details of the various benchmarks here, as you can find those below, but according to AMD's figures, AMD came out on top with a 5.6 percent win over the Intel CPU, at 1080p using the Radeon RX 7900 XTX and by 6 percent using the GeForce RTX 4090. This was across 22 different games, with Horizon Zero Dawn and F1 2021 being the games favouring the AMD CPU the most and Far Cry 6 and the CPU test in Ashes of the Singularity being the games favouring the AMD CPU the least. TechPowerUp will of course have a review ready for your perusing by the time the new CPUs launches next week, so you'll have to wait until then to see if AMD's own figures hold true or not.”

Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/305181/amds-reviewers-guide-for-the-ryzen-9-7950x3d-leaks
If AMD's numbers are true, that's a pretty big uplift for Cyberpunk

time stamped (also keep in mind that HU used DDR5 6400 for the Intel numbers)

Thats a likely story on the GPU side, but not so much on the CPU side. o_O
Could be in this case. That’s why I’m worried about the uneven v cache- only one CCD gets it with the CPUs launching end of month. 7800X3D will likely be the one to get.

If these numbers are correct, I'm not impressed. Was expecting better. Even the 5800X3D delivered better results when first launched.
The vcache essentially allowed 5800x to perform more like a next gen CPU.

The next gen CPUs (Zen 4 and Raptor Lake) may be so good, that we are at diminishing returns, with current hardware and games.

That said, the uplift in Cyberpunk is solid.

I haven't looked closely at other games in the list. That one jumped out at me, because I watch most of HU's reviews. And am familiar with the delta between Intel and AMD, in that game.

Still waiting on some benchmarks for stuff like ArmA 3, DCS, MSFS 2020 and a few others that aren't just CPU-limited, but notoriously single-threaded and benefit heavily from the 5800X3D's cache.

Furthermore, we want to see minimum/1% lows in these benchmarks. The extra cache really shines in bringing those up, and I'll take a supposed hit in average figures if the minimums are substantially better. (This is why the 5800X3D is already a favorite amongst VR gamers - you're trying to avoid framedrops, not set record FPS numbers.)

Also worth noting: the 7950X3D is heterogeneous in the sense that only one CCX gets the cache and the other doesn't (with higher clock speeds to compensate), so careful use of Process Lasso or similar affinity-setting utilities may help performance if the default Windows scheduler behavior drops the ball.

The 7800X3D only has the cached CCX enabled, so no worries there. Alas, we're still a few months out from seeing that one hit the market.

Got this image from VCZ (quoted from CAPFrameX twitter).
Anyone has experienced playing at this same scene as the SS?

c46b3ce52fc2bbce348f7e4cfdb43efcca7e1a67f2fa9447e1.jpg

What's interesting is that core 1~8 are running at 3600 (probably the non cache?).

My guess would be 6+6 like a normal 7900x.
If that is the case they are making a chip just for the 7900X3D. That is a lot of cost and bother I think. It also would change benchmarks as the core/cache ratio would be very much increased for the 7900X3D. Doesn't make any sense to me. Unfortunately we have no history to go on as the 5000 series only had one 3D chip as we know.

I still want to know if 7900X3D is 8+4 or 6+6?
The additional L3 cache stack is only applied to 1 CCD so the 7900 X3D will have 1 CCD with the extra cache and the other without (6+6). AMD has no plans to add the additional cache memory to both CCDs for their 7000 series processors.

If that is the case they are making a chip just for the 7900X3D. That is a lot of cost and bother I think. It also would change benchmarks as the core/cache ratio would be very much increased for the 7900X3D. Doesn't make any sense to me. Unfortunately we have no history to go on as the 5000 series only had one 3D chip as we know.
There isn't anything 'additional' in doing the X3D CCD for the 7900X3D. All of their chips have the pre-requisite physical traits, to attach 3D vcache. Its been that way since Zen 3.

The additional L3 cache stack is only applied to 1 CCD so the 7900 X3D will have 1 CCD with the extra cache and the other without (6+6). AMD has no plans to add the additional cache memory to both CCDs for their 7000 series processors.
I don't think you understand what I am saying.
Neither does 8+4. Then they have to make a quad core chiplet...and honestly, what would that actually be good at on such an expensive cpu? Really the 7900X3D was always going to be a weird oddball.
The good is you would get what you are paying for which is 8 full core 3D cache. The cheaper non 3D chiplet can have the 4 cores. AMD is having to disable 4 cores either way. Does it make sense to disable any of them on the highly technical expensive chiplet, or the cheap one? AMD is producing and binning 8 core 3D chiplets for the 7000 series but would want to process a special 6 core for the 7900? I'm guessing no.
The 7900X is a 6+6 because it needs cache balancing. With the X3D part non cache balancing is the WHOLE point. One chiplet with huge cache. Why would they want that chiplet different then the 7800X3D and 7950X3D?

There isn't anything 'additional' in doing the X3D CCD for the 7900X3D. All of their chips have the pre-requisite physical traits, to attach 3D vcache. Its been that way since Zen 3.
The X900 series is the best way to move silicon with slight defects, but still sell it as high end.

I don't think you understand what I am saying.

The good is you would get what you are paying for which is 8 full core 3D cache. The cheaper non 3D chiplet can have the 4 cores. AMD is having to disable 4 cores either way. Does it make sense to disable any of them on the highly technical expensive chiplet, or the cheap one? AMD is producing and binning 8 core 3D chiplets for the 7000 series but would want to process a special 6 core for the 7900? I'm guessing no.
The 7900X is a 6+6 because it needs cache balancing. With the X3D part non cache balancing is the WHOLE point. One chiplet with huge cache. Why would they want that chiplet different then the 7800X3D and 7950X3D?
Get what you're paying for? If you decide to buy the 7900 X3D processor you're getting 2 CCDs (6 cores per CCD), 1 with the additional cache memory and 1 without. I don't see where AMD stated that they will only apply the additional cache memory to an 8 core CCD. The 5900x and now the 7900x were always 6+6. Why would that now change on the X3D sku? It is what it is. Buy the 7950 X3D or the 7800 X3D if you want an 8 core CCD with the additional cache memory.

Get what you're paying for? If you decide to buy the 7900 X3D processor you're getting 2 CCDs (6 cores per CCD), 1 with the additional cache memory and 1 without. I don't see where AMD stated that they will only apply the additional cache memory to an 8 core CCD. The 5900x and now the 7900x were always 6+6. Why would that now change on the X3D sku? It is what it is. Buy the 7950 X3D or the 7800 X3D if you want an 8 core CCD with the additional cache memory.
I never said AMD stated anywhere. In my opinion it is just more logical. If AMD goes 6+6 (which it seems they are) now there is a 6 core 3D cache. Seems stupid to design and produce an expensive chiplet with a mountain of cache then disable 2 cores.
I noticed in all the reviews I watched none of them got a 7900X3D with HU and Level1 both commenting it was a gimped 3D chip and weren't sure how it would perform.

I never said AMD stated anywhere. In my opinion it is just more logical. If AMD goes 6+6 (which it seems they are) now there is a 6 core 3D cache. Seems stupid to design and produce an expensive chiplet with a mountain of cache then disable 2 cores.
I noticed in all the reviews I watched none of them got a 7900X3D with HU and Level1 both commenting it was a gimped 3D chip and weren't sure how it would perform.
AMD needs some outlet to sell CCD’s that have failures. The process isn’t 100%, they will have chips that do not pass validation, most of the time the defects are minor and disabling one or two cores at least stabilizes them other times they may need a clock speed decrease, rarely they need both.
But this at least lets AMD decrease the amount of silicon they scrap while meeting market demands.

They aren’t just cutting off 2 cores on fully functional silicon here. Why do you think Intel has so many SKUs? Their chips are so over engineered that minor errors can be mitigated or bypassed by making subtle changes so one chip run could end up as 5 different SKUs depending on what failed and where.

AMD needs some outlet to sell CCD’s that have failures. The process isn’t 100%, they will have chips that do not pass validation, most of the time the defects are minor and disabling one or two cores at least stabilizes them other times they may need a clock speed decrease, rarely they need both.
But this at least lets AMD decrease the amount of silicon they scrap while meeting market demands.

They aren’t just cutting off 2 cores on fully functional silicon here. Why do you think Intel has so many SKUs? Their chips are so over engineered that minor errors can be mitigated or bypassed by making subtle changes so one chip run could end up as 5 different SKUs depending on what failed and where.
The 3D chips are binned heavily. The 7600X/7600 and 7900X/7900 are perfect candidates for failure chips. Not an X3D part.
You notice there was never a 5600X3D?

Last edited:
The 3D chips are binned heavily. The 7600X/7600 and 7900X/7900 are perfect candidates for failure chips. Not an X3D part.
You notice there was never a 5600X3D?
They are but not in the way you think, the stacked cache CCDs run lower frequencies, with less voltage, at lower temperatures. If anything they are the ideal place to put silicon that couldn’t maintain stability and pass validation to be sold as their non stacked brethren.

There was no 5600x3d because it’s cost would exceed its performance uplift making it either something that wouldn’t sell or they would have to take a lower margin on and AMD is not about lower margins.

Back