AMD's Radeon RX 7900-series Highlights

I just like the size less hanging weight. What PSU do they recommend for the XTX? If I could use my existing 750 watt PSU instead if looking for a 16 pin PSU 1000 watt for Nvidia.

Reactions: erek
like this
I would guess that is your typical no body you tube video poster... and BS. It has the look of their videos. The numbers seem about right though... but then if I was going to make such a fake video that is probably aprox what I would guess. lol
I actually buy it, the 7900 xtx is going to trounce the 4080 in raster performance. Article also states 1 percent lows hitting 2 fps. I also buy that as well, I bet the drivers for these cards are a nightmare being the first MCM cards on the market.

I actually buy it, the 7900 xtx is going to trounce the 4080 in raster performance. Article also states 1 percent lows hitting 2 fps. I also buy that as well, I bet the drivers for these cards are a nightmare being the first MCM cards on the market.
The 1percent low was the 4080 and not in RDR2 but Assassin Creed, which could be some tricks to make things more legit, would have put in there some bad run if I faked the numbers....

like this
The 1percent low was the 4080 and not in RDR2 but Assassin Creed, which could be some tricks to make things more legit, would have put in there some bad run if I faked the numbers....
Ah ok, my bad. Well whatever we'll find out in a few days.

like this
Lol I just found the source with a ton of supposed benchmarks, they're all clearly fake, some of them are 5+ days old

like this
I would say they are clearly fake, even the 4080 numbers don’t make sense. No 4080 on the planet is running at 80c unless you have no case airflow or live in the middle of Death Valley without AC.

I would guess that is your typical no body you tube video poster... and BS. It has the look of their videos. The numbers seem about right though... but then if I was going to make such a fake video that is probably aprox what I would guess. lol

Well, I guess we are now in the 4k area of gaming.

Lol I just found the source with a ton of supposed benchmarks, they're all clearly fake, some of them are 5+ days old

Oh? Link? Saying you found the source does not mean anything without at least a link.

Moore laws saw some reviewer numbers resume and a single reviewer complete bench:

And it is apparently......... without any surprise, 7900xtx beat a 4080, 4080 beat a 7900xt, 4090 a complete different tier on its own

At 1080p it becomes noisy, with sometime the 7900xt beating a 4090, but close to irrelevant at that resolution which of those card you have.

With RT on the gap would be apparently really massive in favour of Lovelace.

He does something interesting he crank everything to the max at 4K but realistically limit the FPS to the 130fps monitor limit, in that scenario the 4090 seem to often stay under 250watt.

Moore laws saw some reviewer numbers resume and a single reviewer complete bench:

And it is apparently......... without any surprise, 7900xtx beat a 4080, 4080 beat a 7900xt, 4090 a complete different tier on its own

At 1080p it becomes noisy, with sometime the 7900xt beating a 4090, but close to irrelevant at that resolution which of those card you have.

With RT on the gap would be apparently really massive in favour of Lovelace.

He does something interesting he crank everything to the max at 4K but realistically limit the FPS to the 130fps monitor limit, in that scenario the 4090 seem to often stay under 250watt.

So MLiD is just gonna break the embargo dates like that?
It seems fishy and I'm not gonna reward that with clicks.

He's not breaking any embargo. It's more bogus estimates based off the slide in AMD's presentation.
That not the claim, it is reviewer speaking to him and showing their numbers, him making a rough average of the different reviewers numbers instead of precise numbers because it is breaking their embargos.

He does not has he did not sign anything, the reviewer speaking to him are.

like this
That not the claim, it is reviewer speaking to him and showing their numbers, him making a rough average of the different reviewers numbers instead of precise numbers because it is breaking their embargos.

But what does the leaker get from this deal? seems like a lot of personal risk for them with no real pay off.

So MLiD is just gonna break the embargo dates like that?
It seems fishy and I'm not gonna reward that with clicks.
MLID is correct. Wait for the reviews. I called it, lopsided performance. Good on Vulcan titles and its going to be all over the board. $999 performance. Like this post when embargo lifts.

But what does the leaker get from this deal? seems like a lot of personal risk for them with no real pay off.
There are a lot of little no body 20k youtube sub type "reviewer" that may get a kick out of seeing some of their info leak. I guess. AMD seems to seed review cards to some pretty low volume reviewers.

You've fallen for fanfiction. No actual reviewer with a 7900XTX in hand would talk to a shyster like MLID. And so ofcourse he's being slippery and pretend he's averaged numbers to "protect his sources", when it's really just an avoidance tactic so specific numbers he never had can't be proven vastly wrong by actual numbers from reviews later.

Anyone can extrapolate averaged 7900XX numbers with a composite of the charts from AMD, leaked 3Dmark, etc to arrive at a most-likely aggregate/average. This is not profound insight. People have gotta stop falling for tabloid tubers, they're parasites.

Last edited:
There are a lot of little no body 20k youtube sub type "reviewer" that may get a kick out of seeing some of their info leak. I guess. AMD seems to seed review cards to some pretty low volume reviewers.
So if I make a channel pay for a couple subs think I can get AMD to send me a 8950xtx BJ edition in 2024?

So if I make a channel pay for a couple subs think I can get AMD to send me a 8950xtx BJ edition in 2024?
I almost started a tech site back in 2000 to do reviews... I decided it was too late and that I had missed the boat. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: noko
like this
I almost started a tech site back in 2000 to do reviews... I decided it was too late and that I had missed the boat. :ROFLMAO:
The irony is there are probably many that are deterred right now from doing so. There is still plenty of room inside the space. And as tech becomes more and more specialized there are ever more niches to talk about.
Once you're popular, you can go wider, but picking a niche and getting people to follow you for it is more viable today than ever before. Still means you have to eat it likely for a year or two while you build. Unless you're going to go for "ultra pop", "mega-trendy", "super-happy-excited", and also very low brow mass-market info. Peter Mckinnon basically got a million followers in 1 year (from zero to a million) by following that methodology. And he was deep into Gen Z YouTube culture at that point.

Most regular people it will take much longer. Heck even MKBHD took at least half a decade to get a million and now he's arguably the most well known cellphone tech-tuber (well him and the unbox therapy guy). I think more than ever before it's a viable career if you consider things like Patreon and also sponsor reads and you have a unique way of creating and talking about content that other people aren't doing. I've actually thought that no one in the space is trying to create super cinematic tech reviews. It's mostly just about monetization, posting as much as possible, and getting as many videos up to feel the algorithm as possible. And again, I'm saying that there are tons of ways to create niches that most of YouTube hasn't thought about yet.

AMD hasn't mentioned any 40 series... that is an assumption you make yourself or YouTubers conditioned you to believe.
Yeah, it wasn't AMD's own Frank Azor; you know, the chief architect of gaming solutions at AMD Frank Azor, that guy, that said the 7900XTX is not a 4090 competitor, it is a 4080 competitor. In this video interview.

Nope, never said it. You're totally right. Please stop posting without fact checking yourself. :facepalm:

Last edited:
Yeah, it wasn't AMD's own Frank Azor; you know, the chief architect of gaming solutions at AMD Frank Azor, that guy, that said the 7900XTX is not a 4090 competitor, it is a 4080 competitor. In this video interview.

Nope, never said it. You're totally right. Please stop posting without fact checking yourself. :facepalm:

if the dude from AMD said that about the 4080, good for them keeping transparency and didn't do shady/anticonsumer stuff like 3060 8GB or the 4070/80 scam.

Probably. lol They have sent cards to a few YT tech creators that have imo a pretty low number of subs. Perhaps they get good average video views I mean I guess subs are not everything.
Also to be fair... AMD hopefully factors quality of content. I mean everyone starts somewhere... and it is easier to get going if a company like AMD is going to send you review samples.

On the 7900 XTX ... has been conditioned to be seen as just an 80 competitor stuffs. Of course AMD is positioning it to compete with the 4080.
Yes even AMD shills can admit clearly AMD doesn't have a 4090 competitor. I won't try and justify that... AMD doesn't have a card on par with a 4090 (unless reviews of the XTX show its more then expected which of course it is not).
It seems clear AMD got less out of navi 31 then expected. That doesn't mean its a bad product. It appears they where shooting for 3ghz and came up 500-600 mhz short of target. I don't know why that is but I have my own theories... imo having a nothing but logic chip creates more localized heat, where a monolithic design would have more die space consumed by less heat generating bits. (anyway just a personal theory... that denser logic probably hinders freq more then AMD expected) End of the day though they priced it properly...

N31 might be lacking the freq that would bring it into 4090 territory. It appears it is going to best 4080... it some cases get very close to 4090, and AMD has decided to price it accordingly. As much as we talk up AMDs chiplet advantage, there is still at this point some advantages to Nvidias monolithic development. That advantage imo will disappear as AMD ramps up Chiplets... for now though Nvidia is really shooting at Datacenter first. Which means their perfect golden sample dies are going to be punching above consumer GPU class. The 4090 silicon is designed for the datacenter. (with less then Silicon becoming consumer parts) Nvidia is for now still in a position where they can make a product like the 4090, cherry pick the best silicon that requires almost nothing to be fused off and can handle high Freq. AMDs smaller logic chip is just not designed for heavy datacenter class compute... so even 100% perfect silicon is still not hitting that 4090 level of compute performance. Nvidia can get away for now with taking those top tier silicon for a 4090 part today because GPU pricing is allowing them too... they have no fear of being forced into a price war at the 4090 tier. yet. I know we are always talking down the road... but ya down the road assuming Chiplets pan out and AMD starts building chiplet based products for datacenter. It will probably become harder for Nvidia to assume they can claim that top tier with a datacenter part. (I mean they will be competitive on performance still no doubt... but it will start getting expensive to roll out golden sample monolithic parts to fight AMD chiplets) Today they can take a 95% complete AD102 and sell a card like the 4090, I would have been interesting and crazy if AMD had managed to get N31 up to 3ghz. Its too bad they where unable to achieve that... the next refresh will be interesting to watch. If AMD can manage a respin that can hit 3ghz, it will be interesting to see if Nvidia can match them them in a refresh gen. (also be interesting to see if they can both reduce costs, or if they both just let the pricing head north)

Last edited:
Lets be honest here. AMD could of easily gone head to head with the 4090 if they wanted too. Add on some GDDRx6, added more cache, upped the power/frequency like Nvidia did. Strap on a 3.5-4 slot cooler and call it a day.

But they decided to keep it at 355w and basically let Nvidia bring out a card that doesn't fit in a lot or normal cases, uses 95w more AND lets not even bring up having to use an adapter to plugin the damn thing (User error with all the melting of cables).

Makes sense they are a 4080 competitor to me.

“Update Dec 11th: The original tweet has been removed, for unknown reasons. It could be because the numbers were fake, or because they were in breach of AMD's NDA.”

You've fallen for fanfiction. No actual reviewer with a 7900XTX in hand would talk to a shyster like MLID.

If true (who knows, but it would be a strange and well detailed lie), there a couple of things going on

1) human nature, almost all communication are a ways to show your value/worth to the group, people that have that type of information in hands are very eager to show people that they do and do it all the time, enough to let you know (you can read some version of that on this very message board cannot go in details but I can vaguely or just hint that X, Y, Z), not enough to get in trouble.

2) What does "journo" get to speak to people and give something, that a giant part if not most of their jobs, building a network of contact that will talk to you and why anyone would ever talk to you because they gain from it, you need to give them something in exchange, you speak to me now and let me create content with it, I speak to you some other time, etc...
You need to build a network of people you can talk too and be ready to be used by them from time to time and weight the gain and benefit and filter the moment they choose to use you, otherwise your are not better than the lambda person with google and wikipedia.

Has for no one that received card to test would talk to him, at least one did because he did a long show with one of them (other possible obvious reason, I will get you on my show and plug your channels if we talk).

Finally would actual reviewer place themselve in a situation that they depends on a company and sign NDA with them, etc.... just to have a video at launch to start with ? They are content creator speaking about video game stuff that did not go in journalist school and have not a journalistic institution supervising the things

if the dude from AMD said that about the 4080, good for them keeping transparency and didn't do shady/anticonsumer stuff like 3060 8GB or the 4070/80 scam.

On the 7900 XTX ... has been conditioned to be seen as just an 80 competitor stuffs. Of course AMD is positioning it to compete with the 4080.
Yes even AMD shills can admit clearly AMD doesn't have a 4090 competitor. I won't try and justify that... AMD doesn't have a card on par with a 4090 (unless reviews of the XTX show its more then expected which of course it is not).
It seems clear AMD got less out of navi 31 then expected. That doesn't mean its a bad product. It appears they where shooting for 3ghz and came up 500-600 mhz short of target. I don't know why that is but I have my own theories... imo having a nothing but logic chip creates more localized heat, where a monolithic design would have more die space consumed by less heat generating bits. (anyway just a personal theory... that denser logic probably hinders freq more then AMD expected) End of the day though they priced it properly...

N31 might be lacking the freq that would bring it into 4090 territory. It appears it is going to best 4080... it some cases get very close to 4090, and AMD has decided to price it accordingly. As much as we talk up AMDs chiplet advantage, there is still at this point some advantages to Nvidias monolithic development. That advantage imo will disappear as AMD ramps up Chiplets... for now though Nvidia is really shooting at Datacenter first. Which means their perfect golden sample dies are going to be punching above consumer GPU class. The 4090 silicon is designed for the datacenter. (with less then Silicon becoming consumer parts) Nvidia is for now still in a position where they can make a product like the 4090, cherry pick the best silicon that requires almost nothing to be fused off and can handle high Freq. AMDs smaller logic chip is just not designed for heavy datacenter class compute... so even 100% perfect silicon is still not hitting that 4090 level of compute performance. Nvidia can get away for now with taking those top tier silicon for a 4090 part today because GPU pricing is allowing them too... they have no fear of being forced into a price war at the 4090 tier. yet. I know we are always talking down the road... but ya down the road assuming Chiplets pan out and AMD starts building chiplet based products for datacenter. It will probably become harder for Nvidia to assume they can claim that top tier with a datacenter part. (I mean they will be competitive on performance still no doubt... but it will start getting expensive to roll out golden sample monolithic parts to fight AMD chiplets) Today they can take a 95% complete AD102 and sell a card like the 4090, I would have been interesting and crazy if AMD had managed to get N31 up to 3ghz. Its too bad they where unable to achieve that... the next refresh will be interesting to watch. If AMD can manage a respin that can hit 3ghz, it will be interesting to see if Nvidia can match them them in a refresh gen. (also be interesting to see if they can both reduce costs, or if they both just let the pricing head north)

Never change hardware forum, every topic about a card launch has to devolve into bickering. Yeah it's a 4080 competitor because it's in that price range. Who cares? If you want a 4090 go get one.

Then why is it named 7900XTX instead of a 7800XTX if it's not competing against the 4090? Like every other corporation trying to market something they desperately want to sell, they are naming it to give people the impression that it's a 4090 competitor when it's not. Sadly, it doesn't work for AMD becuase it lacks the performance to even come close to it. Nvidia did it with the 4080 12GB, and people rightly complained, but AMD always get a pass somehow.

Then why is it named 7900XTX instead of a 7800XTX if it's not competing against the 4090? Like every other corporation trying to market something they desperately want to sell, they are naming it to give people the impression that it's a 4090 competitor when it's not. Sadly, it doesn't work for AMD becuase it lacks the performance to even come close to it. Nvidia did it with the 4080 12GB, and people rightly complained, but AMD always get a pass somehow.
Illuminati confirmed, if it's the 7900 XTX and the 4090, why isn't it atleast 3000% faster and compete with Nvidia 6 years from now when the 7090 comes out? It's really fun to watch people get riled up. It's in a different market segment, I don't know why they named it differently you'll have to ask Lisa. I think they should have stuck with the 7900 XT and 7800 XT, but they want people to pay for for the 7800 part.

Illuminati confirmed, if it's the 7900 XTX and the 4090, why isn't it atleast 3000% faster and compete with Nvidia 6 years from now when the 7090 comes out? It's really fun to watch people get riled up. It's in a different market segment, I don't know why they named it differently you'll have to ask Lisa. I think they should have stuck with the 7900 XT and 7800 XT, but they want people to pay for for the 7800 part.
It's about perception of the brand. an x900 series part means "the best we can do right now" and public perception will recognize that AMD's best can't compete with Nvidia's best.

"So what!??!?!?" I hear you ask. Well. Look at NVidia's dominance in the market. They've created the perception that their brand is Better™ and that translates to more sales.

"So what!!?!???!?" I hear you ask. Well. GPU prices are going up rapidly, and dollars-per-frame isn't going up really at all and hasn't been for a while. Some (Like myself) would argue that Nvidia's near-monopoly on the consumer GPU market has a not-so-small influence on this. When people refuse to buy your competitor, you can feel free to charge more. And AMD is gladly playing "me too" instead of trying to compete. They're charging four figures for a mainstream high-end gaming card, and naming it the "Best thing ever 9000" instead of sacrificing a bit of margin and trying to grab marketshare by calling it "High end mainstream". In other words, AMD are chasing easy money, not success, and will probably fail at both. This is bad for everyone, and we can expect Nvidia to continue to charge much higher for their products than before as the years go on, as AMD is purely following along and picking up the scraps of Nvidia's high-margins instead of trying to shape the market themselves.

Then why is it named 7900XTX instead of a 7800XTX if it's not competing against the 4090?
The 4090 is a bit of whole new tier of card for gaming that was just created by this generation, it somewhat with a bit of OC around double the previous 3090.

7900xtx does match the 6900xt in pricing and performance bump perfectly while (arguably exceptional so if the figure going around are true).

Why it is not a regular 7900xt is a bit more strange than why it is not a 7800xt, which would have required to either change the pricing of the 7800xt like Nvidia did on the xx80, we can be happy they decided not too, or give an abnormal boost by dollar on the x800 segment which I would imagine they were not inclined too has they can sell them for more (or make epyc cpu on that node).

Ah I see so its an industry standard the 90 means top tier... and 80 means almost but not quite top tier.
Last generation was pretty much the only time AMD and Nvidias numbers sort of aligned.
IMO the only mistake AMD has been making is even playing the game. AMD has had some great code names and should just stick with them. Zen should have kept the name Zen. (why not just Sell Zen Gen 4 16core 4.0ghz) Navi should just be NAVI... no stupid numbers. Navi Gen 3.... Navi G3 XTX. Navi G3 XT... Navi G3 X... Navi G3... Navi G3 SE. Nope out of Nvidias naming scheme. I agree with you really... by aping the same naming scheme they are inviting unintended comparisons, and sure its 100% their own fault.

Last edited:
Pointing out the obvious isn't getting riled up. But the fact that you think it does and then revel in it says so much about you. :coffee:
It's about perception of the brand. an x900 series part means "the best we can do right now" and public perception will recognize that AMD's best can't compete with Nvidia's best.
The whole point in AMDs changing the Navi naming scheme from 3 digits (RX480) to 4 digits (6900XT) is to compare them to Nvidia's offerings; if it weren't they could have happily continued naming them somenthing that doesn't even remotely resemble their competition.
And AMD is gladly playing "me too" instead of trying to compete. They're charging four figures for a mainstream high-end gaming card, and naming it the "Best thing ever 9000" instead of sacrificing a bit of margin and trying to grab marketshare by calling it "High end mainstream". In other words, AMD are chasing easy money, not success, and will probably fail at both. This is bad for everyone, and we can expect Nvidia to continue to charge much higher for their products than before as the years go on, as AMD is purely following along and picking up the scraps of Nvidia's high-margins instead of trying to shape the market themselves.
And here is the crux of any argument in defense of AMD. People around calling Nvidia, "Ngreedia" while in the same breath praying that AMD will save them from the big bad green. Even on these very forums.
The 4090 is a bit of whole new tier of card for gaming that was just created by this generation, it somewhat with a bit of OC around double the previous 3090.

7900xtx does match the 6900xt in pricing and performance bump perfectly while (arguably exceptional so if the figure going around are true).

Why it is not a regular 7900xt is a bit more strange than why it is not a 7800xt, which would have required to either change the pricing of the 7800xt like Nvidia did on the xx80, we can be happy they decided not too, or give an abnormal boost by dollar on the x800 segment which I would imagine they were not inclined too has they can sell them for more (or make epyc cpu on that node).
Except they already have a history with not naming their top teir x900. Like the 5000 series, where their top tier was a 5700XT, because that's what they could compete with. This generation they just said, "Fuck it".
Ah I see so its an industry standard the 90 means top tier... and 80 means almost but not quite to tier.
Last generation was pretty much the only time AMD and Nvidias numbers sort of aligned.
IMO the only mistake AMD has been making is even playing the game. AMD has had some great code names and should just stick with them. Zen should have kept the name Zen. Navi should just be NAVI... no stupid numbers. Navi Gen 3.... Navi G3 XTX. Navi G3 XT... Navi G3 X... Navi G3... Navi G3 SE. Nope out of Nvidias naming scheme.
The last 3 generations were the only time AMD has tried to play monkey see, monkey do with their naming scheme on the GPU side, and thus the only time both AMD's and Nvidia's numbers were even remotely similar to sort of align. And I absolutely agree that they made the mistake in trying to copy Nvidia's naming scheme.

The last 3 generations were the only time AMD has tried to play monkey see, monkey do with their naming scheme on the GPU side, and thus the only time both AMD's and Nvidia's numbers were even remotely similar to sort of align. And I absolutely agree that they made the mistake in trying to copy Nvidia's naming scheme.
Think we disagree on how many generations the matchy match goes back. But yes we are agreed its not wise for AMD to continue doing it. The 6000s more or less aligned. The 5700 XT was their high end generation before. The Vega cards for sure didn't match name for name... the 500 cards, they used similar numbers and I don't know perhaps it was just the later launch but I don't think anyone understood RX580 to translate, and 590 was a 580 refresh. I guess perhaps AMD heard enough this is confusing feedback and thought they would try and match up? I don't know but anyway imo it was a mistake for sure. Its a mistake to keep playing the game as well. Hopefully with Navi 4 they decide to stop trying to match names on boxes. I can only imagine how confusing it will be if Intel actually manages to compete at some point... imagine the confusion when Nvidia is selling a 5090 AMD is selling a 8900 XTTTX and Intel has a 890 and all of them are for sale at radically different price points. lol

Lol, AMD can name whatever they want as long as it does not encroach on anyone's trademark.

Anyways AMD top part is x9x0, does not matter how it compares to whoever else. It may or may not beat a 90 part from whoever. In this case AMD's 900 part beats the competitor 80 part. Sounds like a good pecking order or more like coincidence in the end.

AMD may have a clear price/performance advantage anything less than $1200. I hope folks just gets what best for their usage and not be concerned about names or some 1.5x+$ card that in the scheme of things will not give that much different gaming experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChadD
like this
Back