AMD's Matt Skynner Talks New Radeon Cards

HardOCP News

[H] News
Forbes sat down with Matt Skynner and got the lowdown on AMD's upcoming video cards, next-gen consoles and Radeon 7990 criticism. Thanks to Kelly Grant for the link.

I recently had the opportunity to sit down and chat with AMD’s Matt Skynner. As the company’s Corporate Vice President and General Manager of AMD’s Graphics Business Unit, he had insights to share on meaty topics like next-generation consoles and PC game development. Naturally, the conversation also headed toward AMD’s upcoming Radeon HD graphics card series. But Skynner was also in a teasing mode, specifically about the inclusion of Battlefield 4 in the Never Settle Forever program, and the possibility of an answer to Nvidia’s GeForce Experience software.

I like how he suggests checking out the Newegg reviews. The latest review on the Sapphire 7990:

Pros: -Most every game at max settings run very smooth on three monitor system.
-card maintains acceptable temperature, but water cooling is an added plus.
-8 game promo is a steal at these prices.

Cons: New models coming very soon, so you might experience remorse upon seeing the new specs. Then again, at these price levels, who cares!

Other Thoughts: Please remember to download the latest BETA drivers for best performance!
Contact AMD directly at [email protected] with issues concerning the free games promo.

Last part sounds a little shilly...especially coming from a user named Karl7990s. Try harder, AMD.

Well any company is going to tell you to check reviews that favor them, that much was obvious. And Newegg seems to remove negative reviews sometimes, so I stopped really looking there for reviews.

Well any company is going to tell you to check reviews that favor them, that much was obvious. And Newegg seems to remove negative reviews sometimes, so I stopped really looking there for reviews.

Product Reviews are the same any where you go. You have read a lot of them to weed out the retards from the actual customers that know what they are talking about to get an accurate review.

It’s also extremely efficient. [Nvidia's Kepler] GK110 is nearly 30% bigger from a die size point of view. We believe we have the best performance for the die size for the enthusiast GPU.

You know I've been into gaming on computers since the punchcard days and consider myself a computer junkie, but not once, in all these years, have I ever been interested in performance by die size.

Maybe I've been doing it wrong all these years, why look at raw performance when performance by die size tells you so much more. I mean yeah you might not be able to crank all the settings to ultra, but take satisfaction in knowing how much smaller your GPU is then those who can run everything at ultra! ;)

You’ve been frequently criticized for your driver support. How will you address this moving forward?

I really wish someone who smack ATI/AMD in the head about their drivers, for more then 20 years ATI, and now AMD have basically said "Yeah, our drivers used to suck, but from here on out they'll be much better!"

Ironically, they have been using this claim longer then nVidia has existed. lol!

What he says about having the chip in both consoles and all pc games just being console ports is all true so his conclusion that they will have an edge in the long run does make a lot of sense.

However, i'm in the market for a card right now and I'm pretty much set on a GTX 770 since it seems like crossfire is a mess, even with the new drivers.

You know I've been into gaming on computers since the punchcard days and consider myself a computer junkie, but not once, in all these years, have I ever been interested in performance by die size.

Maybe I've been doing it wrong all these years, why look at raw performance when performance by die size tells you so much more. I mean yeah you might not be able to crank all the settings to ultra, but take satisfaction in knowing how much smaller your GPU is then those who can run everything at ultra! ;)

If an AMD GPU with a 30% smaller die has the same performance as an NVIDIA die then AMD are doing something right.

Fluff article, the average GPU discussion on this forum is more interesting and informative. Not worth reading.

And yet it will still be a dual-slot card.

With consoles launching soon, it would be nice for AMD to redistribute some dev resources to their PC driver division. They spread themselves pretty thin there for a while...

Firefox+noscript+adblock plus. Just allow all from [H].

Some people don't do this?

If an AMD GPU with a 30% smaller die has the same performance as an NVIDIA die then AMD are doing something right.

Yes, but that's not how I read his comment, to me it seemed like he was saying, sure our chips aren't as fast but the rate better then nvidia if you compare the die size to performance.

Following his comment he would consider it a win if their GPU was 50% of the size and 60% of the speed of an nVidia chip GPU.

Now yes, if he was saying our chips are just as fast but much smaller your right, they would be on the right track, but I don't know of anyone whose main factor in selecting a GPU is die size and performance be damned.

Yes, but that's not how I read his comment, to me it seemed like he was saying, sure our chips aren't as fast but the rate better then nvidia if you compare the die size to performance.

Following his comment he would consider it a win if their GPU was 50% of the size and 60% of the speed of an nVidia chip GPU.

Now yes, if he was saying our chips are just as fast but much smaller your right, they would be on the right track, but I don't know of anyone whose main factor in selecting a GPU is die size and performance be damned.

This is how I read it as well, he seems to be making a pre-launch excuse for why it won't beat GK110. Only time will tell, and I hope I'm wrong on this but the way he presented the info made made me suspicious.

This is how I read it as well, he seems to be making a pre-launch excuse for why it won't beat GK110. Only time will tell, and I hope I'm wrong on this but the way he presented the info made made me suspicious.

Yep exactly, I can already hear it now. Why yes we are 20% slower then nVidia cards, but our die is 30% smaller, so our performance per die size exceeds that of nvidia."

They would have to try pretty hard to be 20% slower than nvidia cards... since in most games the 7970 GE is closer than that now.

Back