AMD's GPU '14 Product Showcase Webcast

They already bypassed stating the price of the top R9 card....hell their slide didn't even state the VRAM or the benchmark score.

I know, but from a bunch of tech sites I've been reading over the past hour, they all predict a $600 price point. Which would make sence, since it's just under the 780GTX and waaaay under the Titan, but still high enough to squeeze the hardware enthusiast market for all it's worth.

I know, but from a bunch of tech sites I've been reading over the past hour, they all predict a $600 price point. Which would make sence, since it's just under the 780GTX and waaaay under the Titan, but still high enough to squeeze the hardware enthusiast market for all it's worth.

500 or 550 is my guess.

ARGH!
You would think this is more of a GenAudio product launch.
I really want to know more about the 290X.

ARGH!
You would think this is more of a GenAudio product launch.
I really want to know more about the 290X.

What this guy is overlooking is that...well...humans SUCK at hearing in 3 dimensions.

Go outside and wait for a bird to chirp in a forest. Try to figure out where it came from with only your ears.

What this guy is overlooking is that...well...humans SUCK at hearing in 3 dimensions.

Go outside and wait for a bird to chirp in a forest. Try to figure out where it came from with only your ears.

I can tell where it is just fine though.

will the audio engine use the same resources as video rendering, or separate circuits altogether?

Apparently this new AMD audio card will do graphics too, but AMD has not got around to that yet.

They are really out of touch if they think anyone gives two shits about another virtual surround solution.

No kidding, all that's left is for Creative to get on stage and announce a new SoundBlaster.

This one sounds interesting, though. (Bahahaha)

Unless I'm mistaken, when a sound goes off, say a generic sword swing, the sound would vary depending on in-game environment. A sword hitting a wall outside would sound different than it hitting a wall in a cave.

That's kinda cool, actually.

No kidding, all that's left is for Creative to get on stage and announce a new SoundBlaster.

I didn't know audio was such a big deal on graphics cards, I figured most audiophiles just bought a board with a nice sfx built in or bought a pci-e card.

I just want to hear more about he gpu power.

Oh, and I'd imagine coupling that 3D audio with Oculus Rift would mean lots of browned underwear.

All video cards have changed, I've changed...
The time has come for a new future!
PROGRESS!
I now also do...
AUDIO...

I think it's pretty cool they're doing this audio stuff. I've been secretly hoping HRTF audio is pushed harder and harder. If they can make cool effects like quieter high frequencies when being blocked by an object and seamless reverb and echo effects moving from area to area that would be pretty cool too. However, I think HRTF really works best with headphones, and doesn't work as well with speakers. I am also concerned how much resources it takes (uses gpu power? uses separate chip? if so how much cost that chip add, etc etc)

If they wanna impress me with this audio tech, they better add some of the features that my old Asus A7N8X Deluxe w/ an NForce2 chipset had like real-time dolby digital encoding. :D

I don't think dolby digital encoding is as important as it used to be.
Now that I can get 7.1 uncompressed sound to my sound system through HDMI, I don't miss it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking that right now. Jeez...

OMG.........

Eidos, okay because Thief was a great series.

But a Xaviant, what the hell is that company?!

Where's the GPU benchmarks after an hour?!

The benches and prices/dates apart from the top-tier audio card were all rattled through in the 1st 5 minutes.

Just asked Raja and it is a seperate DSP on the card.

The benches and prices/dates apart from the top-tier audio card were all rattled through in the 1st 5 minutes.

does anybody on hard care about anything other than the r9 290x ? :p

thatd be pretty soft if they did ;)

From all the comments thus far, I'm glad I'm NOT able to view this. Is it really that much of a snooze-fest?

I'm glad these guys are talking about how they are hardcore and "midcore"

this has so much to do with the new cards.

Ok, so let's get this straight.

They're releasing the $299 card without any new features, with the exact same performance as the 7970 Ghz, that you can buy today for <$280....

and not putting the DSP on the 280x?

So they're giving the $300 market NOTHING?

The one card they didn't publish pricing and benches on...was guess which one?

Uhhh.... the Radeon 7999? :)

I don't think we're the only people who are yawning at this presentation though. Is it me or does the audience sound like they're just as bored with this as we are?

On AT's liveblog:

05:09PM EDT - So an interesting aside on sound: starting with Windows Vista, MS took out hardware audio acceleration to move the audio stack into software for stability and consistency purposes. With Win8 and Xbox One, hardware acceleration is back in the name of power savings and being able to use XB1's own audio DSPs

05:10PM EDT - The return of hardware audio is why AMD can make any of this happen, and why 2006-2013 was essentially at a stand-still for PC audio technology progression

That might also explain the crappy DPC latency that Win8 has

Back