AMD's EPYC 7713 64-Core 128-Thread Zen 3 Server CPU Makes Monster Benchmark Debut

erek

[H]F Junkie
"Sorting SANDRA's processor arithmetic test by individual results, the EPYC 7713 clocked at a modest 2.45GHz jumps up to fourth place, only coming in behind benchmark runs obtained with four Intel Xeon Platinum 8280L processors. Very impressive.

Even more impressive is that in some instances, it actually beats systems equipped with twice as many or more Xeon CPUs, including four Xeon Platinum 8180 chips and eight Xeon E7-8860 CPUs. Of course, the combined core and thread counts on those Xeon setups is less than the combined core and thread count on the dual EPYC 7713 setup. But then we starting getting into things like performance per watt and overall cost, both of which look like they will favor Milan.

We'll have to wait and see, but in the early going, things are looking really well for Milan."

https://hothardware.com/news/amd-epyc-7713-zen-3-server-cpu-benchmark

Man I'm eyeing these Epyc CPU's for Vmware cluster rebuilds. Dual 32 core Epyc's... 128 threads a host... All with only 2 sockets of Vmware licensing. (Edit: per host) MmmmMmmm good.

Last edited:
Reactions: erek
like this
Man I'm eyeing these Epyc CPU's for Vmware cluster rebuilds. Dual 32 core Epyc's... 128 threads a host... All with only 2 sockets of Vmware licensing. (Edit: per host) MmmmMmmm good.
me too. But they'll fuck me on Windows Server and SQL licensing though. That stuff is per core these days.

me too. But they'll fuck me on Windows Server and SQL licensing though. That stuff is per core these days.
At least they only charge per core assigned to the VM that SQL is running on. Run it in Hyper-V then just play with the vNUMA and core allocations so that your average load is like 70% utilization and license based on that. You will have some big weeks where you pin it sure but you can either have them deal with it or maybe allocate an extra 8 cores or so for the day they are running the report than roll it back.... just don’t tell your MS rep. And if it becomes a recurring issue I can assure you that accounting will find the money for the license once you show them that it makes their problem go away.

Back