AMD’s ‘Big Navi’ graphics cards have hit North America for testing

There is mixed thought on the patent. It may be much more efficient than current Turing execution if the software can back it up. Their patent states it is flexible enough to use what is dedicated RT hardware on NV architectures as both RT or raster for AMD. Then bandwidth/feeding the architecture becomes the limiting point, or maybe another point.. who knows. But also allows good scalability either way..
Considering they probably had a golden shower from microshaft and sony, it's likely to be pretty damn good.
But who knows till they get it out.

This might have already been covered, but sometimes I forget to ask as it can take me hours to read a thread lol...

But, correct me if I'm wrong, AMD doesn't usually make much on the sale of chips for consoles... Don't they have a hard time barely breaking even on it?

This might have already been covered, but sometimes I forget to ask as it can take me hours to read a thread lol...

But, correct me if I'm wrong, AMD doesn't usually make much on the sale of chips for consoles... Don't they have a hard time barely breaking even on it?
I think this is false. Those sales kept the company afloat. They were getting like $100 per console, It was outlined somewhere on their yearly statement or something.

AMD didn't make much of $ because they had to use the $ somewhere else.

Consoles are in the Enterprise, embedded, and semi-custom division, this will pick up dramatically 4th quarter this year with new models.

"EESC’s revenue fell 5% YoY (year-over-year) in the third quarter but rose 6.7% sequentially to $715 million."
(not on the chart)
It is Sony and MS that lose money or make nothing, because of the game sales are gravy. AMD is not giving consoles away.

tors_AMD-EESC-YoY-rev-growth-rate-Q119.png?auto=compress%2Cformat&fit=scale&h=auto&ixlib=php-1.2.jpg

Last edited:
I think this is false. Those sales kept the company afloat. They were getting like $100 per console, It was outlined somewhere on their yearly statement or something.

AMD didn't make much of $ because they had to use the $ somewhere else.

$100 would be revenue, not profit, and that isn't very much for a console APU which is typically bigger than AMD laptop APUs.

ESCC's profit is not broken out, we can only analyze AMDs earnings per share projection below. Interesting to note, 4th quarter isn't there - yet.

upload_2020-1-23_17-50-37.png

That is an interesting take on the patent tech. When I looked at it, I thought the patent sounded more efficient than Nvidia implementation, not less.

I think that’s consistent with what I said. In theory the approach described in the AMD patent will result in better performance overall if the additional flexibility and control can be used to skip unnecessary work. Work smarter not harder.

Of course it remains to be seen how it actually pans out in real applications.

$100 would be revenue, not profit, and that isn't very much for a console APU which is typically bigger than AMD laptop APUs.
I think it was clean profit after expenses. But i might be wrong, still if we take it as revenue over all consoles they've sold its been a gold mine (even if they get $100 for each chip) I think thats more revenue than they got from polaris cards.

~41 million xbone sold
~102.8 million ps4's sold

judging from ryzen based apu 2200G (can be retail msrp seen for $100)

It should be much stronger, and more expensive to produce than old Jaguar @16nm with polaris module. Producing them in such quantities should cost amd like 10-20$ per apu.

Last edited:
Reactions: N4CR
like this

I have no idea what their deals are like for their console relationships. But, even if their profit per unit is small------Consoles sell tens of millions of units. They make some money.

Back