AMD's best Big Navi GPU may only be a match for Nvidia Ampere's second tier

True it's to the point where I'm just like just show me your cores Lisa I don't about your gpu.

The tweet was literally for that. Wait until we talk to you in October. AMD is on some bullshit.
Meh i wouldn't call it bullshit. I want to stable package. Aleast we have a date. Expect plenty of leaks now, nothing stopping that.

I feel that's too late to counter Nvidia. Everyone that was waiting will just get an Nvidia card unless they show something before 3000 series launch.

I feel that's too late to counter Nvidia. Everyone that was waiting will just get an Nvidia card unless they show something before 3000 series launch.

I would have to disagree, with how VERY LIMITED the new 3000 series of Nvidia will be. This might be perfect timing for AMD. Remember Samsung yields suck ass, TSMC 7nm yields are fantastic. This means AMD will be able to produce more chips to sell.

Sure Nvidia's cards will be constantly sold out, but thats because they can't produce the chips.

I expect that there will be very few people that will be able to get the upcoming Nvidia cards on launch, and then we will see these cards on price gouging specials soon after. I really doubt everyone would be able to get a card before AMD cards are released.

Last edited:

They will be just fine. This was probably the plan all along and do a proper launch. I would rather have them be ready then rush a product. Lisa won’t let them f it up like Raja used to with hype and rushing lol.

I think they just announced it earlier then suspected. They probably would have announced the GPU event after Zen 3.

This is actually a good sign I think. If Big Navi was a turd they would have announced it with zen 3 towards the end and it would have not been the spotlight hidden behind zen 3 launch. Looks like they want to hold a separate launch which is a stronger signal.

Given nvidia is likely to have low inventory until next year and AMD likely having decent inventory given yields at TSMC. It’s not bad of a start. Given the true competition at 3070 won’t begin until October anyways.

Given nvidia is likely to have low inventory until next year and AMD likely having decent inventory given yields at TSMC.
I've seen allusions to Nvidia's yields, but it's not like AMD isn't under their own pressure at TSMC, right? High-end GPUs are large and require quite a bit of connectivity for wide memory channels, system links, and power.

And if AMD is trying to get Zen 3 out of TSMC at the same time, they may be throttling their own production to favor what they consider to be the more important product. Could be either, but I'd expect AMD to be prioritizing Zen 3 while Intel is playing catch up in a number of markets, versus Nvidia who continues to dominate the discrete GPU market, and appears to have decided to be aggressive with their pricing right out of the gate this generation.

I've seen allusions to Nvidia's yields, but it's not like AMD isn't under their own pressure at TSMC, right? High-end GPUs are large and require quite a bit of connectivity for wide memory channels, system links, and power.

And if AMD is trying to get Zen 3 out of TSMC at the same time, they may be throttling their own production to favor what they consider to be the more important product. Could be either, but I'd expect AMD to be prioritizing Zen 3 while Intel is playing catch up in a number of markets, versus Nvidia who continues to dominate the discrete GPU market, and appears to have decided to be aggressive with their pricing right out of the gate this generation.

Well you don’t really sell shit load of big chips anyways so I doubt it hurts AMD production elsewhere. Plus AMD is in bed with tsmc and most of mobile chips should be moving to 5nm soon. Also they have been doing it with RDNA 1 without any issues.

Dont see how a month later then Nvidia amounts to much difference in sales for AMD.

Well, if Zen 3 launches first, and there are a portion of customers building new systems, they would have to wait another month to go full AMD.

I don't think that number is nothing.

Combined with the extra capacity coming online, and what Apple is freeing up with their move to 5nm, AMD should be in a good position. Their chiplets are small, and the current Navi dies are relatively so. That leaves the console apus and "Big Navi" as the large chips being built.

Consoles will be in retailers hands by the beginning of November, while I'm sure demand will be brisk at a $500 price point, they should have had the apus already finished and either in units or waiting to go into them by that point.

Point being, they were reported to be up to 30,000 wafer starts by this time, double what they had access to earlier in the year. It should all line up nicely.

Good to see you back.

I agree a month doesn't matter for either as both initial production runs will both sell out. Nvidia probably be done in first day and probably AMD. At worst for AMD a few days. The delay between major gpu releases means a lot of people been waiting to upgrade.

I agree a month doesn't matter for either as both initial production runs will both sell out. Nvidia probably be done in first day and probably AMD. At worst for AMD a few days. The delay between major gpu releases means a lot of people been waiting to upgrade.

Nvidia has to provide upgrades to 80% of the market...that's hard to do. AMD provides upgrades to 20% of the market. The fact AMD runs out of inventory just as soon as Nvidia is telling. If they were confident of their competitive nature they would have plenty of inventory compared to Nvidia. IMO they are prioritizing Ryzen wafers and this is the smart move. RDNA 2 isn't going to take significant market share from Nvidia for this reason. IMHO.

Of course time will tell and my opinion isn't even worth .02

Nvidia has to provide upgrades to 80% of the market...that's hard to do. AMD provides upgrades to 20% of the market. The fact AMD runs out of inventory just as soon as Nvidia is telling. If they were confident of their competitive nature they would have plenty of inventory compared to Nvidia. IMO they are prioritizing Ryzen wafers and this is the smart move. RDNA 2 isn't going to take significant market share from Nvidia for this reason. IMHO.

Of course time will tell and my opinion isn't even worth .02

huge oversimplification, the vast majority of the market does not upgrade with every generation. I have no doubt the 3000 series will make inroads, but I doubt it will be that large as a %.

Well you don’t really sell shit load of big chips anyways so I doubt it hurts AMD production elsewhere.
If the yields aren't great, same difference, right?

If AMD has to make a larger GPU to compete with Nvidia's, they still have to deal with fab capacity and yields at TSMC.
Plus AMD is in bed with tsmc and most of mobile chips should be moving to 5nm soon.
We know that Nvidia has 5nm allocation too... and their mobile GPUs actually ship to OEMs. Been a while since I've seen an AMD GPU in something that wasn't sold by Apple.
Also they have been doing it with RDNA 1 without any issues.
This really doesn't apply, at least we hope it shouldn't, because RDNA 2 should be a new architecture! Otherwise people are being way too optimistic for AMD's GPU performance.

If the yields aren't great, same difference, right?

If AMD has to make a larger GPU to compete with Nvidia's, they still have to deal with fab capacity and yields at TSMC.

We know that Nvidia has 5nm allocation too... and their mobile GPUs actually ship to OEMs. Been a while since I've seen an AMD GPU in something that wasn't sold by Apple.

This really doesn't apply, at least we hope it shouldn't, because RDNA 2 should be a new architecture! Otherwise people are being way too optimistic for AMD's GPU performance.

Hey can we wait until there are confirmed reports? Amd is not going to stop making GPUs. There are reports of nvdiia shortage and also miners buying up all stocks of 3080 on TweakTown because it is 4 times faster than 2080 lol. Good luck.

Hey can we wait until there are confirmed reports? Amd is not going to stop making GPUs. There are reports of nvdiia shortage and also miners buying up all stocks of 3080 on TweakTown because it is 4 times faster than 2080 lol. Good luck.
That's... actually the point I'm making. We know too little about the supply for either vendor, nor do we know what the real demand is for that supply, which as you note with Coiners, consists of more markets than gaming.

That's... actually the point I'm making. We know too little about the supply for either vendor, nor do we know what the real demand is for that supply, which as you note with Coiners, consists of more markets than gaming.
The rumors have been that Samsung 8nm is having yield issues which may or may not be bullshit but we do know that TSMC 7nm has been producing well for some time now.

Back