AMD's ATI Radeon HD 5870 Video Card Review @ [H]

Well, I upgraded to a Sapphire 5870 w/3 Dell u2410 monitors from a EVGA GTX 285 and a single 24...so far I'm not happy. I think I might just sell the 24's to buy a single 30". I know there are a lot of people here that swear by thier eyefinity setup, but the peripheral screens and the lack of game support are killing it for me. I can't stand how World of Warcraft is the only game that I'm allowed to move the HUD/character info on...and that's with the use of a mod called moveanything. Anyway, I hope I'm not the only one disappointed with eyefinity.

Nice review for a sweet card. After a few days testing a single 5870 was enough to replace my kickass gtx295. If you find it, buy it!

Anyway there air NO aftermarket hsf out for 5870....at least that are capable of cooling everything needed to be cooled aka VRM, you can cool the gpu and ram np but VRM will go nuts without active cooling or the big hunk of metal the stock hsf is to displace the heat....I went through this same thing when I got the 4870 and a V-2, core temps was great but measely sinks couldn't keep the card's VRM cool enough and it contiously locked up....spending $400 on a WC system as I post this.....VENT/

True, cooling the GPU itself is not a problem, there are lot of choices. But unless you want to "play" Furmark, which brings VRM to 100C range, then one long cooler from TR GTX cooler pack was enough to keep them in sub-80C range while gaming.

Also all we need now is a little bit of time :
http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/product_page/vga/vrm/product_vga_cooler_r3_r4.html

My supplier said they will be available at end of this month here in Europe, that means it is not a typical TR launch (like in case of S1156 kit, which wasn't available for 2 months).

Kyle and/or Brent, have you experienced this "gray screen with black lines" crash on your 5870??

Im so glad I bought this instead of a 5970. This barely fit as it is, a 5970 would be sitting outside my case and taunting at me.

Kyle and/or Brent, have you experienced this "gray screen with black lines" crash on your 5870??

I'd like very much to get a 5870 right now, but all the reports of this "gray screen" issue isn't to comforting.

I'd like very much to get a 5870 right now, but all the reports of this "gray screen" issue isn't to comforting.

For those who haven't noticed the threads on this issue. It appears to have been resolved in the 10.1 drivers. I just recently installed my 5870 and immediately started using the 10.1 Catalyst driver and I have had no issues at all.

@ Brent_Justice,

I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to compose such thorough reviews for these cards. [H] has been my number 1 source for hardware reviews and though it's been a long time since I owned an ATI card (Radeon 9800 PRO, like 5 cards ago for me), I felt confident making the purchase of the 5870 due to the diligence you put into your work on these reviews.

For all of those who are sitting on the fence, yea waiting for Fermi is not a bad idea since it's right around the corner, but I upgraded from a GeForce 280 GTX and I noticed an immediate improvement. If Fermi is all that and a bag of potato chips (and [H] confirms it) I will resell this card, but for now I am happy to be rocking on the red side. ;)

Well I have gray/striped screen issue and it is highly irritant. It happens random. Not on highest GPU load or highest temperature. 10.1 drivers does not solve this issue. But as today AMD/ATi made a patch (hardly a patch it's 112 MB download) and it should help out with this issue.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/Grey-screen-and-vertical-line-corruptions.aspx

Patch solves issue just on 58xx models. It is not for 57xx models.

I haven't tried it so I wil take it with a grain of salt.

MD

Well this patch solves issue of gray screen and striped screen. Now PC crashes more often and screen is black. Thanks ATi.

MD

Back