AMD's ATI Eyefinity Technology Review @ [H]

Seems like a nice idea. I do wish I had more times for games, law school rather kills that though...

btw, lol @ hating on the apple dongle.

Love the video reviews, this was a perfect display of the technology. Thumbs up.

Love the video too. In fact I am copyrighting the [H]ardOCP drinking game.

Kyle says "IMMERSION: = drink!

Kyle says "EYEFINITY" = down it!

Love the video too. In fact I am copyrighting the [H]ardOCP drinking game.

Kyle says "IMMERSION: = drink!

Kyle says "EYEFINITY" = down it!

I passed up drinking beer on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday for this damn video! I hope some of you get more alcohol use out of it than I did. ;)

I think it's a field of view/aspect ratio problem. Near the beginning for instance he set it to 16:9 aspect ratio for a 5760x1200 resolution. Obviously that's nowhere near correct (it's more like 24:5 aspect ratio). Not saying it's Kyle - the game simply isn't capable of automatically realizing what field of view or aspect ratio it's at when dealing with such extreme wide screen resolutions.

I hear some games already are capable of simply showing you MORE on the side screens, rather than stretching the picture on the side screens. WoW in particular I hear works without the fish eye effect, I'd bet EQ2 and various other MMOs do too (the MMO genre seems to handle gaming in windows, and other odd window sizes better than most genres) RTS games should probably work without the fish eye look right off the bat too.

I'd bet over time people will find ways to modify older games, and it'll become public knowledge.

Kyle could open up the Half Life 2 console, type "sv_cheats 1" and then "fov XX" with XX being a number (try 90 and go up from there) to try to see if it helps at all with the fish eye effect.

Very good points. I hope WoW does it correctly with no fish eye effect, and RTS's like StarCraft2 would be awesome with three monitors, way easier to control your army while building it up.

I hope popular titles like Source engine games come out with a patch to set the FOV correctly to the resolution.

Very good points. I hope WoW does it correctly with no fish eye effect, and RTS's like StarCraft2 would be awesome with three monitors, way easier to control your army while building it up.

I hope popular titles like Source engine games come out with a patch to set the FOV correctly to the resolution.

Between you and Ualdayan, you kinda answered the questions I had. It seems like the fish-eye effect merely is a product of incorrect FoV. I was one of the skeptics of this technology, but seeing it in action is pretty damn impressive.

My birthday is coming up.......

Oh, and great review Kyle. Thanks for donating a weekend. We appreciate it.

First and foremost, thank you Kyle for a very informative review. Despite the sound issues (which I thought weren't really an issue) you've conveyed the advantages and disadvantages of Eyefinity technology and future improvements in a great presentation.

I watched the video three times before commenting. The real gaming implications of Eyefinity technology leave me dumbfounded and completely amazed at the same time. It's like opening up a whole new world of gaming experience.

Most informative review I've seen on the net to date. Thank you for your hard work and efforts to produce this review. Very beneficial not only to AMD/ATI but more importantly to the consumers. :)

Sorry if my comments are fragmented. Had to to to San Diego and back in two days. Yeah, I'm freaking tired. :(

I see Kyle answered the questions about window placement on the triple screen.

I wonder if AMD's Linux drivers for this will run a custom Xinerama implementation like they seem to do now.

Wow...just wow. My only suggestion Kyle would be to partner up with Lendingtree or some other loan site and put a link at the end of the video; you'd make a killing :)

Wow...just wow. My only suggestion Kyle would be to partner up with Lendingtree or some other loan site and put a link at the end of the video; you'd make a killing :)

Thats no joke, I bet he could make a nice profit, and have happy [H]ard gamers :D

Excellent Review!!:D

Like Kyle's friend, I'm a hardcore TF2 gamer and that short segment of gameplay just looked fucking AMAZING!!!:eek: Time to bust the piggy bank..:D

It seems like wider aspect ratios would be something game devs could easily be able to support, then again, we saw how long it took some devs just to support 16:10/16:9.

killer app IMHO.

this is going to give alot of gamers real gameplay advantages (bigger view angles etc) .

now we just need seamless monitors...

Unlike Kyle's experience I was able to successfully use with my Apple Active Mini-Display Port to DVI adapter with this http://estore.circuitassembly.com/pr...ter-Cable.html which looks like the same cable Kyle used

I'm using DVI+HDMI+DP and it works and the 3x 1 option appeared.

Tested out with Wow just now. looks great.

With MSI drivers and Win7 x64

Kyle, does AMD plan on making it to where you can use a passive dp to dvi adapter instead of an active one with current 5870's?

There are some excellent sites for tweaking games for widescreen settings and triple head displays. http://www.widescreengamingforum.com has FoV calulators and ini tweaks. There are other similar sites, just search google for widescreen gaming. :)

I think ati might win me over on my next computer build with this.

Great job and thanks for making it a video review.
As said, you do make it tough not to start hitting the purchase button for new monitors. :D

To be honest.
I think this is one of the best computer hardware/software reviews I have ever seen. truely impressive work.

I really didnt think that upping the resolution would be a smart thing for amd to promote. I just keep thinking of the masses of people who struggle to run things at 2560x1600 or even 1920x1200, but I was clearly wrong.

5760x1200 and games running like butter on that HD 5870. The whole 1/2 hour I had a smile on my face. NFS:Shift was the most impressive to me. There was so much visibility. TF2 also looked just amazing. I hope I get to experience something like this in person some time. I could see the bevel thing annoying me in some of the games that I play. I am interested to see what AMD puts out as a solution. :)

Oh and I would like to add that you pick the perfect soundtracks to go along with your video's.

I was telling myself that my recent HD 4870 purchase was going to be the last upgrade for a while...... until I saw the video.

Now I just need two more monitors and the 5870. :)

damn how did he get all those new u2410's?????

how about using 3 3008WFP's and show me. that would be impressive, EH?????

Nvidia has just shit their pants.

i agree 1000%. and to think i just purchased a 295 2 months ago.....:(

i doubt if they have anything like this up there sleeve. can't wait for the next intel retail edge bundle. damn my monitor choices are going to be expensive!!!!!

The hard work on this video paid off, Kyle. Eyefinity is a game-changer (no pun intended) and you've given us an excellent demonstration of what it can do. This has me re-thinking the setup of my whole computer room...

Thanks.

this reminds me of a demo years ago where there was 1 montor in front of you, 1 on each side, 1 behind. and 1 above and below. they were showing a flight sim and it was the most unbelievable thing i have ever seen. this is going to change the future here folks. it has me rethinking just about everything right now. you would be amazed if you have never used dual monitors how productive you can be. NOW THIS!!!!!

thanks amd, you have my next purchase unless nvidia pulls a rabbit out of the hat!

Hell of a review, Kyle! Great work. Very informative. I now know things I didn't before, like where to spend all my money. Though I am new to this stuff, it definitely peeked my interest. ATI should owe you greatly. What a selling feature. Anyone in a gaming competition, with that on their side, would be at a distinct advantage against those sans that tech.

Dear left nut,

You've been a great friend, but unfortunately I have to sell you to get the funds to feed my insatiable lust for three new monitors and a 5870.

Signed,
Me

Well this video review is more impressive to me than any screen shot, any review, I've seen about Eyefinity to date.

Question: In your first review you guys noticed that the card used more power (when idle) when driving 2 displays vs just 1 display. Did you guys notice the same phenomena with 3 displays at idle/load?

I think 5 monitors in portrait mode will really be kick ass setup.

But before that, I would love to see Kyle do a eyefinity setup using multiple 1080p front projectors. Each screen doesn't have to be wall size but each being 40~60" level

That would really be awesome fun project to do.

I have a business venture for you Kyle to go with this Eyefinity:

Have Eyefinity, but have a bunch of friends that just can't seem to control themselves when they see it?

SpoogeGuard(tm) from the makers of Ratpadz
"Because no one likes spooge in their Eye.. finity"

Hey.. I have to get the money for more monitors somewhere..

They've gotta get a 2x 20" portrait plus 1x 30" landscape going with this, that and the bezel trick and I'm sold!

Mmmmm...

2x Professional P2010H 20-inch Flat Panel Monitor
1x Dell High Color 30 inch UltraSharp Widescreen Digital Flat Panel

That and damn guys...3x 1080p projectors...I already rock a 126" Carada for the home theater, but two more...I would need to upgrade my house! Imagine if they started tossing in 3D tech....HOLODECK!

:eek:

Excellent job on the all the good and the bad of triple head gaming. I myself found a massive improvement on my laptimes while playing on the projector, sadly its not entirely practical for casual gaming. These cards should inspire developers to sort out issues in games.

Back