AMD's ATI 10.3a Catalyst Driver Update @ [H]

I think so of you conspiracy theorist overlook what kind of testing it takes to get WHQL certification on a driver. Not a simple checkbox.

I think ATI held these drivers back...they were supposed to be released 'early' this month...my guess is that they purposely delayed the release to put a damper on Nvidia's upcoming luanch...since Nvidia has delayed retail availability until April now ATI will have the spotlight all to themselves

Of course they were delayed. They want people to second guess their choice on going with Nvidia.

uh.. you mean that big bang driver? that thing does not really boost fps at all.. its a myth..

and it was a disaster .......

Uhhhhh a myth? And a disaster? Ok, now what you smoking dude? Must be something that I've never smoked before haha! :D Yeah, now I remember the name, thanks! The Big Bang driver was only one of them. I cant remember if there was two other similar driver boosts or just one other that equaled the big bang.

was just trying to prove a point, keep kissing kyles balls everyone, nice forum and membership

was just trying to prove a point, keep kissing kyles balls everyone, nice forum and membership

Hey, I've come to appreciate the way Kyle is. Many of the other forums will just ban you outright if you argue with the mods/admins. Kyle lets you argue with him quite a bit, and he actually talks to you. He actually responds to you in his honest way. This, I appreciate, man! No BS here on [H] as compared to other forums where some of the mods/admins either ban you or avoid you like the plague if you dare disagree with them.

EDIT: I mean, for maybe 1/2 of the computer hardware forums out there, the "top" Admin usually does not even bother to talk/discuss or argue with most of the members. It's like as if the top guy is too good to even talk to you (especially if you do not agree with him). That's just my experience. If you dare insult the Admin saying something like "kissings his balls", that'd be the only time you hear from the Admin, with a simple infraction/ban and a few words explaining the reason.

Last edited:

Prove what point? That you have a reading comprehension issue? The information you were asking for was clearly spelled out in the article.

If finding Kyle's retort humorous is equivalent to kissing his balls, then guilty as charged.

What point where you trying to prove exactly? That Kyle will harp on people that act like morons and don't correctly read articles?

Did they enable bezel compensation for non identical monitors in this version?

I can't imagine how old it would get to try to answer people who ask about things clearly stated in the article. I laughed at Kyle's response too:)

From what I can see, the difference between the driver version screenshot Kyle posted and the leaked 10.3 drivers is newer OpenGL and CCC versions. D3D and 2D drivers appear to be the same.

What is your point? That you need to be spoon fed like my 3rd grader when it comes to comprehending what you are reading?

Uhhhhh a myth? And a disaster? Ok, now what you smoking dude? Must be something that I've never smoked before haha! :D Yeah, now I remember the name, thanks! The Big Bang driver was only one of them. I cant remember if there was two other similar driver boosts or just one other that equaled the big bang.

no, there is no fps boost in overall game play from nVidia drivers..

no matter what they say on the changelog, it doesn't change the fact it just a myth.

some even note that it need to push the AA to extreme in order to see a 2% difference.
which is no big improvement at all... far from your 15% claim
and lots of people including me are having issue with the big bang driver...

what a bunch of dicks indeed

thanks for the fucking help.

you need to get a better reading comprehension skill

^ Um duh, 10.3 Beta driver, the one we used, the one that was leaked on the web, is not 10.3a Performance driver. Performance driver is new, no one has it yet, well, we do :p All our evaluations from here on out will use this driver until 10.4. We have a 5830 eval next week that will use this new driver.

I am using the 10.3 previews... and have been waiting for the 10.3(a) to come out, I wish it was tomorrow, NOW! :D

Reading the thread, those having Bad Company 2 issues, and hoping for something fixed in the driver (i'm hearing long load times), email your issues to me please and I'll make AMD aware [email protected]

I need to see what happens with the 10.3a driver in regards to that load time.

I hope when they say '10.3a out 3/17' they mean midnight!

All these small % boost in their drivers is going to add up. Can't wait to see what 10.4 will bring.

Thanks for the update! Any word on whether or not this update will include the 2D hotfix?

I love this enthusiast stuff, I'm excited about Eyefinity, but sometimes I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when I read about AMD's driver updates. They're working on getting six (SIX!!!) displays working in 3D gaming while they sit on a driver update that will finally make the 5000 series on par with four year old GPUs when it comes to Photoshop, Illustrator, AutoCAD, Acrobat and every other 2D app that we spend 90% of our time on a PC using. Using to make money.

Kyle - guys like you keep these firms honest. I'd love it if you could get on their case about this pretty glaring fault in their driver execution strategy. Maybe add a 2D bench (even if its only subjective) to your test suite? It's simply unacceptable that my 5770 is outperformed by my ancient 7800GTX in the programs I actually NEED to use.

Thanks for the update! Any word on whether or not this update will include the 2D hotfix?

I love this enthusiast stuff, I'm excited about Eyefinity, but sometimes I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when I read about AMD's driver updates. They're working on getting six (SIX!!!) displays working in 3D gaming while they sit on a driver update that will finally make the 5000 series on par with four year old GPUs when it comes to Photoshop, Illustrator, AutoCAD, Acrobat and every other 2D app that we spend 90% of our time on a PC using. Using to make money.

Kyle - guys like you keep these firms honest. I'd love it if you could get on their case about this pretty glaring fault in their driver execution strategy. Maybe add a 2D bench (even if its only subjective) to your test suite? It's simply unacceptable that my 5770 is outperformed by my ancient 7800GTX in the programs I actually NEED to use.

Over at THG, AMD mentioned working on getting the drivers right for 2D acceleration. Currently using an 8800GTS 512mb for my CS4 work :/

Yeah, I don't really need to benchmark my system to know that it sucks a unlubricated horse cock. All it takes is selecting an object in Illustrator to make me long for the days of 2D hardware acceleration. (That is one sentence I NEVER thought I would write.)

What I need is for all the enthusiast sites that pride themselves on keeping these manufacturers honest to include some of this basic stuff. Obviously the blame lies with AMD - I mean, who imagined they'd fuck this up? - but the fact that it took awhile for anyone to notice indicates a systemic fault in how we evaluate GPUs as an enthusiast/technical community.

Also, I want a pony.

I can't wait to get the 10.3A performance drivers! Woohoo 30% improvement in Dirt 2 for 5970! Does this mean I get 60% for 2x5970? Hehehe. Probably doesn't scale as much as I'd want but I guess I can dream until then!

Reading the thread, those having Bad Company 2 issues, and hoping for something fixed in the driver (i'm hearing long load times), email your issues to me please and I'll make AMD aware [email protected]

Yeah it is kinda disappointing when you have specs like these and youre always mid/last to load in, haven't stopwatched it yet to figure out how long it actually takes though.

AARGH! I just RMAed my ASUS 5870 due to displayport issue. I am big fan of Dirt 2 and I cannot wait to install the new drivers.

Yea they really need to fix the GUI for Catalyst Control Center. I wanna stab myself using those menus.

More people take Brent up on his offer, please. I'm going to upgrade to a 58xx card and to have it load slower than my 8800GTX would be a disaster.

I've been running the catalyst 10.3 preview on my T400, and it has been working flawlessly! It seems that they did more than just focus on the 4 and 5 series cards...this is the first official ATI driver that I am able to run on my lenovo with full switching capability between the ati mobility 3470 and intel x4500. I had to use lenovo's outdated, buggy switching driver previously. This driver even added extra functionality: it automatically switches between the discrete and integrated graphics when I go from AC power to battery, and vice versa. I noticed a significant performance boost in BF2 and TF2, enough that I was able to bump up the settings from medium-high to maxed on both games and maintain smooth frame rates.

AFAIK this driver supports most ATI mobility cards, which is a godsend for mobile gamers. Normally, ATI mobility cards require the user to use proprietary (read: outdated) drivers from the manufacturer because previous ATI drivers have offered no support for mobility cards.

Nice :)

Btw.: I just heard rumor that HardOCP already recieved their Fermi card(s) for review - any comments about this rumor from Kyle?

Great! Free performance even for use on 4800 series cards. Go ATI :cool:

Can't wait for these drivers..
btw alot has been raised on the performance increases in the new drivers but I'm particulary interested by the added Eyefinity improvements.
  • ATI Eyefinity Technology Multiple Display Groups - more display groups to give further control of your desktop with three displays or more connected
  • ATI Eyefinity Technology Display Configuration Switching - easily switch from one display mode to another

What I am really hoping to see with Eyefinity (besides the active DP) is support for different monitor setups ie 1x27"(2650x1440) paired with 2x23"(1920x1080) for example.

I was hoping these drivers would fix the horrible load times in BfBC2 or have a workaround for them, otherwise i guess i have to wait until DICE fix it.

For anybody who doesnt know, ATI load times under DX10/11 mode are horrible, anywhere from 40-60 seconds per map change......in DX9 mode, or using the same system with a Nvidia card, load times are about 10 seconds.

I hate to be a dick, but what hard drive do you have? I am spawned into the next map before everyone else about 9 times out of 10.

PS: Dear ATi, great job including a performance boost for the hottest new game out on PC (Bad Company 2) /sarcasm.

Last edited:
Back