AMD's $50 Athlon 3000G Vs Demanding AAA Games

erek

[H]F Junkie
With nothing but two cores, integrated Vega 3 graphics and a 3.8GHz overclock, I'll be attempting to play some demanding modern titles on the newest Athlon APU from AMD. This is the 3000G CPU review

I want more than a quad core (certainly more than a 2C / 4T that this is). Thankfully the 6C / 12T APUs should arrive in 2020. They won't be $50 however.

even an OC'ed 2C / 4T?

Might as well buy a Raspberry Pi. I mean really, a 2 core CPU has no place in a desktop anymore

Might as well buy a Raspberry Pi. I mean really, a 2 core CPU has no place in a desktop anymore
As much as I like the ARM ISA and CPUs, the two cores in this Athlon 3000G CPU would curb-stomp the quad-core A72 in the Raspberry Pi 4.
The Jaguar in my thin client is a quad-core, and this Athlon 3000G dual-core CPU is around 1.5 times faster in SMP general performance, and over 3 times faster in single-threaded performance, at each CPU's respective clock speeds.

It depends on how powerful the cores are, and how many threads this can handle, and what applications need the processing capabilities.

Last edited:
Nope.jpg. For basic browsing and office tasks, it's still usable.

agree, i mean hell all of the our work computers are shitty ass lenovo mini pc's with intel i3 3210's at 3.2Ghz that instantly throttle to 2Ghz just opening excel let alone some of the 5-10 page excel sheets we get on a daily basis... i'd take an athlon 3000g over that pos any day. if an oem starts using them i'm going to annoy the crap out of our IT department to make them switch over to it because these systems we have now are a joke.

If you're 14 years old and manage to scrap $50 in a week's worth of work like I did back in the day then that was a way more amazing value than what I could get for $50 back in the late 1990s! A CPU and GPU? Even at bare minimal settings at 720p you're looking at a basic rig for maybe $200-$300 range? That is a roughly month and a half of scrapping together money doing odd-jobs. There are lots of people who would love to build something like this. Obviously I'm not interested as I'm buying a 3800X in two weeks though I think AMD did a great job putting so much value in to an APU that will work wonders for people with ridiculously budget-contained lives. It's also more than acceptable for a basic browsing computer.

If you're 14 years old and manage to scrap $50 in a week's worth of work like I did back in the day then that was a way more amazing value than what I could get for $50 back in the late 1990s! A CPU and GPU? Even at bare minimal settings at 720p you're looking at a basic rig for maybe $200-$300 range? That is a roughly month and a half of scrapping together money doing odd-jobs. There are lots of people who would love to build something like this. Obviously I'm not interested as I'm buying a 3800X in two weeks though I think AMD did a great job putting so much value in to an APU that will work wonders for people with ridiculously budget-contained lives. It's also more than acceptable for a basic browsing computer.

you could spend an extra 20-30 bucks and get a quad core with a better vega.

2 cores just do not cut it anymore.

it's a 2c4t chip but i mean yeah sure lets just ignore that the highest selling processors over the last 6 years including 2019 were dual core i3's clocked below 3.5Ghz. sorry to break it to you bud but even a dual core cpu can still watch youtube and netflix and that's about the most demanding thing those processors will ever do in their lives.

I used to like the CPU underdogs like this for game servers that gain more from single threaded speed than core count. Now I'm more about buying a gen or two ago used laptops, since it means I don't need to worry about yet another UPS, and I can fit quite a few of them on cantilever shelving. Not too bad for a smaller vdev ZFS box that'll be only gigabit it's entire life either, especially on the rare occasion that the motherboard vendors grant us something with ECC scrub implemented.

Even Core2 is still fast enough for a lot of computing tasks the typical non-gamer home user has, and this gives double the headroom, as well as newer SIMD extensions to enjoy better quality codec playback.

edit: and let's not forget that games like Sims 4, are probably the target for this type of thing

Last edited:
it's a 2c4t chip but i mean yeah sure lets just ignore that the highest selling processors over the last 6 years including 2019 were dual core i3's clocked below 3.5Ghz. sorry to break it to you bud but even a dual core cpu can still watch youtube and netflix and that's about the most demanding thing those processors will ever do in their lives.

he was talking about gaming not grandma and grandpa productivity.

he was talking about gaming not grandma and grandpa productivity.
No, he's right, and that is extremely mainstream average-person usage, which these CPUs will exceed at.
For gaming, this should do well in all but AAA games, and even then it would be sufficient for many AAA games on lower settings on a cost-efficient build or embedded system.

Don't get me wrong, I agree, even with four threads there is no way I'd cheap out especially since I do production work. That being said when I was 14 that would have been a dream entry level CPU. I would then have worked my butt off to save up likely for the 6c/12t 3600 since I then had a working rig of some kind. That is how it worked back then; any computer was better than none though there just wasn't any value back then like what there is out these days.

For gaming? Obviously almost everyone here would scoff (except those few 14 year olds, not sure how many are around / don't care) but not everyone can go out and drop money on nice hardware.

Back