AMD's 30 Years Of Graphics & Gaming Event Live Stream

HardOCP News

[H] News
Just a reminder that AMD is commemorating 30 years of graphics and gaming this Saturday at 9am EDT. AMD has a bunch of cool stuff lined up for the live broadcast. Trust me when I say that you guys definitely don't want to miss this. The embedded Twitch stream will go live at 9am CT.

1408743899DGxeVL4i55_1_1.jpg

thanks for the autoplay video whether I wanted it or not.

Lol some peoples children, Here's a hint... Click the little symbol in the bottom left corner that looks like this [][] and the video will magically cease!

So... it was for the largely underwhelming processor and video card? Sad face.

They announced a price drop on the FX 9590, did anyone catch what its new price is supposed to be?

I didnt know what it was going to be for. As a previous AMD fanboy I really hope AMD makes some moves in the next year or two. Even a price drop on the 9590 is underwhelming.

Thought there was going to be some sort of announcement.

Was hoping for a gpu announcement where they possibly had something to compete with 780's or even the 880's on the horizon.

We all know they are no longer in the cpu bizz unless you want a low end console cpu.

Compete with 780s? Im pretty damn sure they already have that... :confused:

Not from an overclocking perspective. The 780's with custom bios's and water cooling still wipe the 290x's off the map.

Sure air cooled they might compete.... But.... this is HardOCP I thought?

Not from an overclocking perspective. The 780's with custom bios's and water cooling still wipe the 290x's off the map.

Sure air cooled they might compete.... But.... this is HardOCP I thought?

but you wouldn't be bias at all with your 780 now would you. :rolleyes:

I don't think I've ever seen Kyle so fresh. I look forward to your 285 review. About to build another computer for a friend and if the price point of 249$ is real then that would fit his budget.

When he said $329 like it was a great price I yelled "blow it your ass!". When he said 249, I whispered it instead. That's a $199 graphics card and could have really been a game changer and forced Nvidia's hand on next gen pricing. Specially both on an older 28nm process. And nothing on its 285X part. Blahhhh. Give me my hour back.

That jackass in the blue shirt needs to calm down.

Isn't that Josh Brolin ?

Streisand effect!! I am going to start seeing Josh Brolin/Kyle Bennett everywhere now!!

Like Intel bringing out the Pentium 20th anniversary CPU after it has been around 21 years or Steve saying he has been the property of [H] for 44.7 years, someone doesn't know how to count birthdays/anniversaries. ATI was founded in 1985 and didn't put out a video card until 1987!! So, for all I know, this could be a celebration of any of Kyle's shirts.. it makes as much sense as what is reported to be celebrated!!

Below is one of Kyle's shirts.. let's celebrate the old FrgMstr's shirt!!

cali_fragmaster.jpg

Just a reminder that AMD is commemorating 30 years of graphics and gaming this Saturday at 9am EDT. AMD has a bunch of cool stuff lined up for the live broadcast. Trust me when I say that you guys definitely don't want to miss this. The embedded Twitch stream will go live at 9am CT.

1408743899DGxeVL4i55_1_1.jpg

Thats what Kyle looks like o_O

I watched for 20 minutes, and it bored the crap out of me

Engineers do not make charismatic people in front of a camera, but I still respect them

What was the significance of 30 years ago?

1984, as far as x86 PCs went, weren't really anything as far as gaming or graphics goes. It would be another 4 years before even a lowly blitter was added to PC graphics cards.

fake edit: I looked up what could possibly align with that and I guess it's supposed to be for ATI, which was founded in 1985 and 29 years is oddly not round as an even 30. :p Funny is maximum pc has an ATI history page and it uses a photo of my ATI EGA Wonder that I posted here many years ago. Check out the TV output... that card had everything! ;)

The link to Commodore is interesting, but I can't figure out exactly what ATI supplied to Commodore. Despite what a few sites are posting, the Commodore 64 (VIC-II) and Amiga graphics chips (in the OCS) were both designed before ATI existed. However ATI seems to have had early experience in VLSI integration and ATI may have been involved with later updates on the Amiga chipset to reduce cost (Commodore was buying the chips from ATI, which was fabless, so it was likely a re-working for the OCS). ATI's first actual products were a Hercules MGA clone and a Plantronics graphics clone (see clones sections on both pages) in 1986. Copying 4 year old cards isn't exactly innovative. /snark

I used to attend the AMD events when they would hold them in the SF Bay Area, where I happened to live at the time. I was at one where I got a copy of Vista Ultimate, a great swiss army knife (Which I still use) and an FX cpu in 2007.Then I went to another one where I got an awesome Ruby doll, swords and everything, and an ssd drive.

I have switched between AMD and Nvidia over the years. I was sporting a set of Titans in SLI, but went tri-fire because of the performance increase at 4k. I was able to get $1650 for my Titans and only ate $450 out of pocket for the 295x2 and 290x. AMD def wins this round IMHO.

The events themselves are usually a lot of fun. Make sure you bring a DD, or take public transit. Because you can get a tad drunk while there (Free Booze for the evening events) :D

I used to attend the AMD events when they would hold them in the SF Bay Area,
I went to one in Burbank when the bundle was an A64 CPU + motherboard + 64-bit Windows XP. Great stuff. There weren't very many booths and the main presentation was kind of boring otherwise.

Like how Kyle was being courteous by saying "your competitors", instead of Nvidia. :p

I loved it when the interviewer got a little uncomfortable when Kyle said that SLI worked better than Crossfire initially....

"Okay....."

But then Kyle helped him out and said the current Crossfire is a better gaming experience. Way to help him out Kyle. :D

I loved it when the interviewer got a little uncomfortable when Kyle said that SLI worked better than Crossfire initially....

"Okay....."

But then Kyle helped him out and said the current Crossfire is a better gaming experience. Way to help him out Kyle. :D

When the guy asked him what he had in his current rig I was thinking "Well he's got an i7, this should be interesting", but he left the CPU part out. :p

For those who cannot count, I will make it easy for you, you must also count the year 1985 in you math. It really does work out to 30 years. Nice video. :D

Back