amd64 and windows xp

Beave

Gawd
i have just built an amd 64 3000+ computer with an asus a8v motherboard. everytime i try to click start then shutdown it goes into a sleep mode type of deal. i did a search for this and nothing came up on the forums and searched the web and nothing helped. is there a sp2 patch. the windows i installed had sp2 intergrated and people say to uninstall sp2.

any input is greatly appreciated.

thanks

That is weird, and this question belongs in the software or maybe even operating system forums. d-:

My guess would be that you should at least start by skimming through some of the power saving settings in the control panel. I've yet to see a version of windows come with satisfactory default settings (my personal favorite being the versions that came set to "always on" for a desktop system which would start shutting off power to hd and video after a surprisingly short period of time for a system that's always 100% on...)

Beave, it sounds like you're having a problem with one of the processes running in the background. Try searching through the list (Ctrl-Alt-Del -> Processes) to see if there's anything "unusual" listed.

It could also be a driver conflict. Maybe go through your System Devices and see if there's anything that hasn't been installed or something isn't running properly.

As for SP2, don't uninstall it. It probably won't solve your problem and it could make things worse than they already are.

P.S. - I'm running the same motherboard and possibly the same CPU (if you're running a Winnie) and I've never had that problem. Although I didn't mention it above, be sure to grab the latest VIA drivers.

this is the list of what i have in the processes in windows task manager

system idle processes-system
system-system
smss.exe-system
winlogon.exe-system
wscntfy.exe-user
svchost.ese-networkservices
csrss.exe-system
alg.exe-local service
services.exe-system
svchost.exe-networkservices
taskmgr.exe-user
spoolsv.exe-system
svchost.exe-system
svchost.exe-local service
wuauclt.exe-system
explorer.exe-user
svchost.exe-system

Nothing suspicious in that list, but, do you have it set to show processes owned by all users? By default it does neither.

Of course, spyware and such can piggyback on something else sometimes.

the computer runs fine in safe mode. this computer has never been on the internet so spyware should not play a role; it horrible in regular windows always going into sleepmode,

Beave said:
.... and people say to uninstall sp2.

Dont listen to these people. In fact, remove them from your friends list...

Go to the power options in the Control Panel. Check if there is anything out of the ordinary there.

Back