AMD Zen 4 microprocessing units to destroy Intel thanks to their 5nm designs

erek

[H]F Junkie
More of the same rumors or anything actually new here?

"Recently, however, things have slowed down noticeably, and Moore’s Law doesn’t seem to apply as much these days, especially when it comes to Intel. This is ironic as Moore was once CEO of the company.

With AMD looking to move to 5nm and reap those performance rewards, the pressure is on Intel to catch up. As we mentioned earlier, while Intel has been producing 10nm laptop processors, we’re still waiting for 10nm Intel desktop processors. At the moment on the desktop side, Intel is still on 14nm.

According to AMD’s roadmap, we could see Zen 4 before 2022 – so if it does indeed release at that point with 5nm designs, then Intel could find itself even further behind its competition."

https://www.techradar.com/news/amd-zen-4-processors-could-destroy-intel-thanks-to-their-5nm-designs

One thing's for sure, AMD definitely won't start raising prices with this next generation. They're the faceless multinational corporation with a heart.

Plus the fact that the prices on their previous generation are fantastic. :)

Why is TechRadar still using an archaic website design that doesn't utilize percentages? This isn't 2005 (seriously, whos making/using non-responsive website designs anymore?). Viewing this on a full screen web browser with a DCI-4k resolution monitor is a waste of screen real estate.

On topic, it's really all rumors and hearsay until we have a 5nm part in our hands. If that happens in 2022 then it isn't. But there are no guarantees that any company will precisely have a part out.

Last edited:
Why is TechRadar still using an archaic website design that doesn't utilize percentages? This isn't 2005 (seriously, whos making/using non-responsive website designs anymore?). Viewing this on a full screen web browser with a DCI-4k resolution monitor is a waste of screen real estate.

On topic, it's really all rumors and hearsay until we have a 5nm part in our hands. If that happens in 2022 then it isn't. But there are no guarantees that any company will precisely have a part out.
I much prefer fixed-width websites on my desktop. I use custom CSS to fix this forum at 980px in fact. I don't like my eyes having to track side to side so much while reading text when my browser is maximized.

anyone here think amd is going to jack the prices of it's cpus up more than current gen or add more cores to its cpus and jack the prices up on those?

Plus the fact that the prices on their previous generation are fantastic. :)

actually i think that was satire, they straight up tried to scalp with the new RX series despite being way late with stable drivers. thankfully NV dropped the Super series to bring prices down. they also are charging more for some of thier higher core count chips Coreteks did a video with actually costs vs charged costs on some of this stuff. AMD is trying to get more revenue these days more so than be the the under dog everyone loves.

anyone here think amd is going to jack the prices of it's cpus up more than current gen or add more cores to its cpus and jack the prices up on those?

Not until they pull more marketshare away from Intel. Remember that outside of the geek bubble, Intel is still the big dog. They are what you see in most business systems, servers, prebuilts, etc. They are the "default" for people and despite all the fanboying on places like here, they are still fast and work really well. So AMD wants that to change, and the main way they can do that is price. Performance matters, but absolute performance is something only a few people care about. For most it is getting the job done for a good price. Thus it makes sense for AMD to push hard on pricing to try and unseat Intel as the default in most people's minds. If they succeed at that, if they get their marketshare up, then ya, expect to see price increases. Until then though, they will probably try and keep price as low as possible for most of their parts to really turn the screws on Intel.

even if performance beats intel, it's still a long way for AMD to be a majority of the market share ..so prices will remain what they currently are in terms to how it relates to intel until that situation changes.

It's not who's fastest that dictates price. It's market share.

edit: in short. amd users will continue to reap the benefits of being the overperforming underdog for a long while.

even if performance beats intel, it's still a long way for AMD to be a majority of the market share ..so prices will remain what they currently are in terms to how it relates to intel until that situation changes.

It's not who's fastest that dictates price. It's market share.

edit: in short. amd users will continue to reap the benefits of being the overperforming underdog for a long while.

AMD is never go to overcharge for the processors, regardless of what market share they have. They are entirely aware that it was Intel's pricing scheme that damaged the PC market over the previous 9 years prior to the release of the Ryzen CPU's and they have no desire to destroy their very own market.

I'm betting on or around april 2022 we'll start seeing engineering samples and/or benchmarks of almost ready chips.

Back