AMD Zen 4 CPUs Rumored On Track For 2021 Release As Early TSMC 5nm Yields Impress

erek

[H]F Junkie
Zen4 on 5nm sounds pretty baller! (I suppose, but feels weird for anyone who only just barely managed to get a Zen3 to have a much higher IPC improved Zen4 come out maybe mere months later? bogus perhaps, especially for those who don't always upgrade annually!)

"AMD will be using this 5nm process node with its Zen 4 architecture, which will be a die shrink of Zen 3. AMD has already indicated that Zen 3 will be an all-new architecture compared to Zen, Zen+, and Zen 2. Forrest Norrod, AMD's General Manager for the Datacenter and Embedded Solutions Business Group, recently said that Zen 3 would provide a performance uplift "right in line with what you would expect from an entirely new architecture."

So that means that the 5nm-based Zen 4 will likely rely on the smaller process node and evolutionary architectural improvements to continue ramping performance. If AMD is able to maintain its breakneck pace of development/release for new Zen processors, the first Zen 4 products should start shipping in 2021."

https://hothardware.com/news/amd-zen-4-cpus-on-track-for-2021-tsmc-5nm

Zen4 on 5nm sounds pretty baller! (I suppose, but feels weird for anyone who only just barely managed to get a Zen3 to have a much higher IPC improved Zen4 come out maybe mere months later? bogus perhaps, especially for those who don't always upgrade annually!)
Who's gotten Zen 3? Zen 2 was what was just released as the Ryzen 3000 series. Still, Zen 4 in 2021 at 5nm? When Intel is excited about finally being able to release a full product stack on 10nm at the same time? The juggernaut has had to shift course, but its size and momentum is making it hard to outmaneuver the smaller and more nimble, albeit weaker, opponent.

stop-stop-hes-already-dead-14229240.png

Obligatory AMD/Intel meme

Who's gotten Zen 3? Zen 2 was what was just released as the Ryzen 3000 series. Still, Zen 4 in 2021 at 5nm? When Intel is excited about finally being able to release a full product stack on 10nm at the same time? The juggernaut has had to shift course, but its size and momentum is making it hard to outmaneuver the smaller and more nimble, albeit weaker, opponent.

err, whoops, i meant Ryzen 3rd Generation

first Zen 4 products should start shipping in 2021.
I would read that as Epyc 4, They always do the high margin pipe cleaners first. Would say 2022 for desktop stuff, probably early 2022 if this is true.

Zen3 EUV mid-late 2020 (production has already started..) for Zen 3 based Epyc and Zen4 Epyc 2021...

Intel is in for an interesting next 3 years.

And if Amazon's 64 core Graviton 2 shakes out well both AMD and Intel are in for some rough times. Intel more so as they have a larger presence in the server market.

Amazon can outspend both AMD and Intel combined with one hand tied behind the back..sorry..make that both hands..

https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/graviton/

Back