2nd_Gen_AMD_Ryzen_Desktop_Processor_Page_50.jpg

2nd_Gen_AMD_Ryzen_Desktop_Processor_Page_51.jpg

2nd_Gen_AMD_Ryzen_Desktop_Processor_Page_52.jpg

2nd_Gen_AMD_Ryzen_Desktop_Processor_Page_53.jpg

2nd_Gen_AMD_Ryzen_Desktop_Processor_Page_54.jpg

2nd_Gen_AMD_Ryzen_Desktop_Processor_Page_55.jpg

2nd_Gen_AMD_Ryzen_Desktop_Processor_Page_56.jpg

2nd_Gen_AMD_Ryzen_Desktop_Processor_Page_57.jpg

_________________________________________________________________________________

Today we bring you the world exclusive that will be the official presentation of the AMD Ryzen 2000 (also known as Ryzen 2), and this translates to let you know all the models that we will have available on the day of its release, its specifications, performance , release date, and prices .

Model Cores / Threads Freq.Base Freq.Max Boost TDP
Ryzen 7 2700X 8/16 3.70 GHz 4.35 GHz 105W
Ryzen 7 2700 8/16 3.20 GHz 4.10 GHz 65W
Ryzen 5 2600X 6/12 3.60 GHz 4.25 GHz 95W
Ryzen 5 2600 6/12 3.40 GHz 3.90 GHz 65W
As you can see there will be four models, where the " X " variants include the Precision Boost 2 and Precision Boost Overdrive technology , the " No X " variants do not have Boost overdrive. The Ryzen 7 have a Smart Prefetch Cache of 20 MB compared to 19 MB of the Ryzen 5. All CPUs have 16 PCIe lines and a DDR4 @ 2933 MHz memory controller .

AMD-Ryzen-2000-modelos.png

These processors, in addition to having the Precision Boost Overdrive technology, also have the XFR2 Enhanced automatic overclock. In both cases, in order to use said technology, the use of one of the new motherboards equipped with the AMD X470 or AMD B450 chipset will be required , they are the only existing changes compared to the current generation of motherboards.

AMD-Ryzen-2000-tecnologias-1.png
AMD-Ryzen-2000-tecnologias-2.png
AMD-Ryzen-2000-tecnologias-3.png
Placas-base-AMD-400-Series-1.png
Placas-base-AMD-400-Series-2.png
Placas-base-AMD-400-Series.png

Official benchmarks

AMD itself tells us that the final performance improvement was not as good as we expected, since the Ryzen 7 2700X only offers a 5% improvement over the Ryzen 7 1800X , a test that has been conducted with more than a score of games run at Full HD @ Ultra resolution with a GeForce GTX 1080 . In a direct comparison with the Core i7-8700K, the Ryzen 7 2700X is 7.7% slower .

Ryzen-7-2700x-vs-Ryzen-7-1800X.png
Ryzen-7-2700x-vs-Core-i7-8700K.png

Availability and price

As you can see below, Ryzen 2000 processors will reach prices that will move between 199 and 369 dollars , prices very similar to those of Intel Core, which helps us extrapolate that in euros the thing will be very similar . While the Ryzen 7 2700X will be almost 8 percent slower than the Core i7-8700K , selling it for 1 dollar less does not make up for seeing AMD as a good option if we only think about using it to play.

As for the release date, we should find them for sale on April 19 at 15:00 p.m. GMT +1 in Spain.

AMD-Ryzen-2000-Precios.png

nombres-ryzen2000.jpg

Attachments

• v9ge0wj-jpg.jpg
    v9ge0wj-jpg.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 753
Last edited:
i'm going to guess we'll see threadripper in july or august once they've collected and tested enough binned chips.

as far as the "optimized" for 2nd gen statement for the x470 i'll wait and see what actually happens.

AMD 12nm Ryzen launches in April

AMD has confirmed in official press slides that second-generation Ryzen high-performance CPU will launch in April 2018. AMD promises that first 12nm Zen+ processors will have higher clocks and support Precision Boost 2 technology.

Additionally, AMD has confirmed that X470, second-generation chipset for Ryzen CPUs will also launch in April 2018. According to AMD, X470 platform is to be optimized for 2nd Generation Ryzen CPUs.

mhwshf.jpg

2djayw.jpg

AMD 2nd Gen Ryzen Threadripper in 2H 2018
The official roadmap confirms that while Ryzen 2nd Gen will launch in Q2 2018, the enthusiast desktop Ryzen Threadripper series will be released in the second half of 2018, along with 2nd Gen Ryzen PRO series.

2z4db0y.jpg

https://videocardz.com/74685/amd-zen-12nm-ryzen-and-x470-motherboards-to-launch-in-april

Last edited:
Reactions: Nobu
like this
Hoping for actual specs on this Ryzen refresh but those slides aren't giving a "launch" impression sadly. I'll settle for a hint on max clock speed rise. Hopefully we finally make it past 4.0ghz.

Hoping for actual specs on this Ryzen refresh but those slides aren't giving a "launch" impression sadly. I'll settle for a hint on max clock speed rise. Hopefully we finally make it past 4.0ghz.

I don't know what you expect in a year.

Look at Intel:

2008 - Nehalem

2010 - Westmere

2011 - Sandy Bridge

2012 - Ivy Bridge

2013 - Haswell

2015 - Broadwell/Skylake

2017 - Kake Lake/Coffee Lake

Kaby Lake/Coffee Lake isn't a even a real improvement over Skylake.

We have really been stuck on Skylake since 2015.

Meanwhile, Cannon Lake, which is suppose to succeed Skylake, is stuck in development hell somewhere.

I don't know what you expect in a year.

Look at Intel:

2008 - Nehalem

2010 - Westmere

2011 - Sandy Bridge

2012 - Ivy Bridge

2013 - Haswell

2015 - Broadwell/Skylake

2017 - Kake Lake/Coffee Lake

Kaby Lake/Coffee Lake isn't a even a real improvement over Skylake.

We have really been stuck on Skylake since 2015.

Meanwhile, Cannon Lake, which is suppose to succeed Skylake, is stuck in development hell somewhere.

if amd can increase clock speed without increasing power usage then they have a winner.

my 1700x won't go to 4ghz until well after 1.5 volts.

During AMD’s CES 2018 Tech Day, CEO Lisa Su announced the plans for the second-generation Ryzen processor roll-out in April. This is the revised design that has been rumored for months, with a process technology change and slight tweaks to features.

Details are expectantly short, but what we know is that these parts will move from a 14nm process technology to 12nm from GlobalFoundries. AMD is calling the design “Zen+” and this is NOT Zen 2 – that is coming next year. You should expect higher clocks for Ryzen 2000-series processors and improvements to Precision Boost that will enable more consistent and gradual clock speed shifts in workloads of interesting like gaming.

Also on the roadmap now are updated Threadripper processors with the same “Zen+” enhancements, coming out in 2H of 2018.

The great news for enthusiasts that have already bought into AMD’s current generation platform is existing motherboards will support this processor update, as long as you have the associated BIOS. Motherboards are already being updated today for the channel (to support the Ryzen APU launch) so there should be little concern with compatibility come April.

However, there IS a new chipset coming with “Zen+”, the AMD X470. Information on it is also slim, but it includes some optimizations and fixes. AMD had growing pains with the initial set of motherboard releases including power concerns and routing issues, both of which are addressed with the new design.

That’s all we know for now, but I am excited to get my hands on the Ryzen second-generation processors this spring to see how much performance and behavior has changed. Intel has definitely changed the landscape since Ryzen’s first release in March of 2017, so enthusiasts should welcome the back and forth competition cycle once again.

https://www.pcper.com/news/Processo...eration-Ryzen-CPUs-April-Threadripper-2H-2018

Node shrink, right. Gotta be at least 10% bump.
4.4 GHz OC.

Dear god the universe as we know it is in trouble everyone this is incredible after:

Once again... there is no Zen+ on 14nm+

Only Zen on 14nm+

And there is more :
I know that "Zen in 14nm+" (aka Pinnacle Ridge) is not "Zen2 in 7nm".

The sequence is

1) Zen on 14nm (2017)
2) Zen on 14nm+ (2018)
3) Zen2 on 7nm (2019)
4) Zen3 on 7nm+ (2020?)

roadmap-AMD-para-Zen2-y-Raven-Ridge-00.jpg

AMD-Zen_3.png

Now continue saying I am "in denial", whereas you are the only one negating the existence of Zen on 14nm+ :rolleyes:

Well all I can say is that it is entertaining :)

x86_to_2020_575px.jpg

From the horse's mouth. Dr Lisa Su herself. 12nm is based off of 14nm and promises clock and ipc increases of 10 - 15 percent which should allow the 4ghz barrier to be broken.

x86_to_2020_575px.jpg

From the horse's mouth. Dr Lisa Su herself. 12nm is based off of 14nm and promises clock and ipc increases of 10 - 15 percent which should allow the 4ghz barrier to be broken.

Glofo 12nm is Glofo 14nm with minor tweaks. Fin Pitch, Gate Pitch, Interconnect Pitch are the same...

IPC doesn't change with a process node change. IPC is a microarchitectural element.

Last edited:
Dear god the universe as we know it is in trouble everyone this is incredible after:

And there is more :

Well all I can say is that it is entertaining :)

I agree entirely with you: this is entertaining. :D

So the marketing people first relabeled Zen+ as Zen2 and Zen++ as Zen3. And now relabel Zen as Zen+. So now there are two completely unrelated Zen+ concepts in the Internet. Now if we search for "Zen+" we find older slides showing the IPC increase of the Zen+ core (aka Zen2)

08052503983l.png

and we find the new slides where Zen+ (aka Zen) and the IPC of the core hasn't changed.

So what almost everyone has been naming "RyZen 2" (aka Pinnacle Ridge) doesn't use Zen 2 cores, but only uses Zen cores on 14nm+, as internal and external roadmaps showed

AMD-Zen_3.png

before roadmaps were retouched by marketing guys and stuff relabeled. So nothing has changed except marketing labels.

This piece from Anandtech coverage of CES called my attention:

Finally, AMD expects to implement Zen 3 by 2020. Just to be clear, if AMD did launch in Q4 of 2020 that would still be within AMD’s target window. Zen 3 will be built on an improved 7nm process called 7nm+. It is our understanding that the 12nm process is essentially a 14+ process for GloFo, so the 7+ process might be renamed at a later date perhaps. But if the Zen 2 design is complete, I would expect more of AMD’s microarchitectural engineers to be on the Zen 3 design now.

Any bet that 7nm+ will be relabeled as '5nm' to give false impression of greater advancement?

REFERENCES:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Zen_2&oldid=776589059
https://wccftech.com/amd-zen-ryzen-naples-processors-four-years-roadmap/
https://cpugrade.com/articles/amd-zen-core-complexes-and-configurations/
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1223...ealed-with-ryzen-apus-zen-on-12nm-vega-on-7nm

he wont appear here, he it's probably in intel damage control due spectre and meltdown.. lol.

The company in full damage control is the one that did break the embargo it had signed with rest of vendors affected. Wait to see next sales/marketsale numbers; I am watching the second, and I will soon post data about that.

Glofo 12nm is Glofo 14nm with minor tweaks. Fin Pitch, Gate Pitch, Interconnect Pitch are the same...

IPC doesn't change with a process node change. IPC is a microarchitectural element.

They my have tweaked the processor design, you have no idea so just stop saying stuff. You keep getting things wrong so its getting old to keep fixing it. So I guess that vaunted coffeelake you love so much got 0 IPC increase as well since it was just a node tweak....

They my have tweaked the processor design, you have no idea so just stop saying stuff. You keep getting things wrong so its getting old to keep fixing it. So I guess that vaunted coffeelake you love so much got 0 IPC increase as well since it was just a node tweak....

The IPC of Coffelake cores is the same than Kabylake/Skylake cores. The microarchitecture is the same.

I agree entirely with you: this is entertaining. :D

So the marketing people first relabeled Zen+ as Zen2 and Zen++ as Zen3. And now relabel Zen as Zen+. So now there are two completely unrelated Zen+ concepts in the Internet. Now if we search for "Zen+" we find older slides showing the IPC increase of the Zen+ core (aka Zen2)

08052503983l.png

and we find the new slides where Zen+ (aka Zen) and the IPC of the core hasn't changed.

So what almost everyone has been naming "RyZen 2" (aka Pinnacle Ridge) doesn't use Zen 2 cores, but only uses Zen cores on 14nm+, as internal and external roadmaps showed

AMD-Zen_3.png

before roadmaps were retouched by marketing guys and stuff relabeled. So nothing has changed except marketing labels.

This piece from Anandtech coverage of CES called my attention:

Any bet that 7nm+ will be relabeled as '5nm' to give false impression of greater advancement?

REFERENCES:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Zen_2&oldid=776589059
https://wccftech.com/amd-zen-ryzen-naples-processors-four-years-roadmap/
https://cpugrade.com/articles/amd-zen-core-complexes-and-configurations/
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1223...ealed-with-ryzen-apus-zen-on-12nm-vega-on-7nm

The company in full damage control is the one that did break the embargo it had signed with rest of vendors affected. Wait to see next sales/marketsale numbers; I am watching the second, and I will soon post data about that.

thank god they did break the embargo or else we'd still be in the dark.

saw something about 10% clock mentioned by Lisa Su, or maybe a combo clock/ipc inc.

Thanks, been grading packages since I’ve left work and haven’t had a chance to sit down and absorb CES 2018 yet.

A 10% clock speed would be pretty darn good IMO. 4.4ghz would be a pretty damn good proc and be able to close the gap with Intel.

But you know how rumors are, ill believe it when i see it.

A 10% clock speed would be pretty darn good IMO. 4.4ghz would be a pretty damn good proc and be able to close the gap with Intel.

But you know how rumors are, ill believe it when i see it.

It is based on what can be found on Global Foundries website/roadmap where the process described as 12nm would allow this.
https://www.globalfoundries.com/new...-technology-for-high-performance-applications

The new 12LP technology provides as much as a 15 percent improvement in circuit density and more than a 10 percent improvement in performance over 16/14nm FinFET solutions on the market today. This positions 12LP to be fully competitive with other 12nm FinFET foundry offerings. The technology leverages GF's expertise at Fab 8 in Saratoga County, N.Y., where its 14nm FinFET platform has been in high-volume production since early 2016.

Interesting, so we expect at LEAST 10-15% very nice. Imagine a Ryzen 2 8c/16t CPU getting 4.6ghz would be pretty badass!

Lets put it this way it is not totally out of the ballpark ;) ..

** keep in mind that it is the same thing all over again the "perfect" dies will likely end up in the server space rather then the consumer (last time around it did not matter much ...)

Last edited:
Lisa did say ~10% performance uplift, so this could be a combined clock advantage as well as or a "tweak" of the core for the 12nm refresh giving optimization of the core design to also increase IPC, no one knows till we see it "in the flesh"

If anything, AMD has show they are very full of surprises mostly for the positive since Dr Lisa took the helm of the ship and set it on a good heading ^.^

I can see AMD doing the very best they can to keep momentum going, ramping clocks, adjusting IPC and so forth, all in all I call Ryzen likely Zen+, Zen 2 and the AM4 chipset far more fleshed out products CONSIDERING
by most folks accounts AMD was dead in the water not that long ago

whereas Intel has been shown IMO to be scrambling i.e the rushed out core i9 x2xx chipsets, higher core counts, the blame game for "glues together cores" which they themselves had done not so long in the distant past,
pretty cruddy excuses for thermal paste/solder, thinner dies which has led to many a problem (higher temps for a "more efficient" design) etc

^.^

Decades later and nothing has changed....as the node shrinks occur certain parts of the design get denser increasing performance. Not all of the circuitry needs to be at 12nm so it is a mix 12nm/14nm as it has always been for AMD or Intel....maybe that is why you keep saying Zen + is 14nm. More than minor tweaks in the design but we will see when the new chips come to market.

An uplift is an uplift. This isn't Zen 2. Its Zen on steroids. It might have better memory support to get the memory clocks higher on the X470 Motherboard.

At least they are pumping out CPUs unlike what RTG has been doing.

They did explicitly mention changes/improvements to the cache and memory controller for zen+, probably won't result in major performance improvements but more towards increasing memory compatibility and latency reduction.

Well clearly Juanrga works for AMD as a engineer on Zen, so he knows for sure ;)

If I can get at least 4.2ghz with 3200mhz RAM with low Vcore. I will be a happy camper.

Anything after market for my GB X370 Gamer 7? Or is it really needed. I hit 3.9 GHz with out stressing. Or is this a combined MB maker/AMD boost?

I wouldn't call it a boost or anything better than what is out there now, I just like the older styling of heatsinks and i miss the heatpipes running all over the motherboards. Everything is too flashy now, it hardly reminds me of a computer component because its all covered up or stylized. The heatsink and pipe style on that motherboard reminds me of the older style which I personally like.

They did explicitly mention changes/improvements to the cache and memory controller for zen+, probably won't result in major performance improvements but more towards increasing memory compatibility and latency reduction.

The memory controller is not part of the core and for the cache, don't they mean the L3?

Well clearly Juanrga works for AMD as a engineer on Zen, so he knows for sure ;)

It is not needed to be part of the Zen team to know that a change in a memory controller is not a change in the core microarchitecture itself. Remember CoffeeLake has an improved memory controller (2666 vs 2400) compared to Kabylake. The core is the same in both chips. ;)

Seems pretty expected and the performance is dependent on the test used.

If it is assumed the clocks are 10% higher, that is a 4ghz base and 4.4-4.5 turbo, that would be interesting, definitely sizable performance gains will be seen in the rendering bench suites. Optimizing a perfect system state the current 1800X can break 1900 marks multi though generic would land 1800-1900 scores in MT test, the ST ranges from 160-165 marks. Added clocks would seem to raise scores pretty nicely.

ST ~175-180
MT ~2050-2100

Back