AMD XP 2800.. stuck at 2200. 1 more request (long)

FastAttack

Limp Gawd
Ok I have a little bit of a small problem:

First my system specs:

Athlon XP 2800+ Barton Core
Motherboard is a Asus A7N8X delux Revision 1.XX using the latest bios.
RAM ( dual channel)

First stick is a Geil 512 meg PC3200 RAM Stick runninc at FSB 4:6 Cas 2.5 , RAS Delay at 4 clocks , Precharge at 4 clocks and Cycle at 8 clocks.
2nd stick is a Samsung PC3200 RAM running the same as above.
Video Card is a Visiontek Geforce 4 Ti 4400
Power Supply Antec 300W PSU
( irrelevant stuff)
running 2 maxtor HD 7200 RPM 80 gig HD's
1 lite-on CDRW drive 48X12X48
4 system fans.

The problem:

I have to force my computer to run on a FSB of 133mhz for it to be stable under windows.. if I bump up the FSB to 166 the computer will take random crashes and random restarts.

I tried formatting the HD , changed the CPU voltages , I can't do any multiplier changes as I think my cpu is locked.

Anyone got any ideas why I am stuck at this speed?

Do you think my PSU is the culprit?

Last question.

I know that there is a lot of stuff coming out.. like new videos cards new processors, etc.

Question is .. is it a good idea to buy a new motherboard now..( I am going to build up in steps) or wait.. since i keep hearing that they want to use diffrent sockets later this year?.

Its gonna hurt me to say this because I LOVE my GEIL ram but I think it's your memory. Geil is known to be VERY hit and miss. I thankfully got a hit (running it at 2-3-3-6 same as my MUCH more expensive HyperX) you obviosly got a miss. I say return the memory and get either Kingston, Corsair or Mushkin memory. Your MoBo is fine its one of the best (right behind the NF7-S and DFI Lanparty!) First I'd want to make sure its the Geil, it could be the Samsung, run each chip by themselves and see what happens. My money is that it's the Geil (I really love mine tho)

Your AMD 2800 is only at 2.2 GHz??

LOL, my AMD 2100 is at 2.3 GHz

Oh, it's even worse, you meant your Athlon 2800 is at model 2200 speeds?

Are you saying that you are trying to run dual channel with two differnt sticks of ram?

Try running with one stick and see if it works at a higher fsb.

I got 2 sicks of geil 3200 512 each and the same mobo as you and when i put it in the Default timings were 8-4-4-3t but I changed mine 6-3-3-2.5t and it runs great and make sure and give it plenty of power i have mine at 2.8V

From what I have heard and read the 1.xx arent so great. That's why they came out with revision 2.0.

Secondly, have you updated your bios to the most recent version? Do you have the most recent mobo drivers installed?

Thirdly, dont mix different RAM even if they are the same speeds. The different latencies may cause problems.

Not sure about the PS, but you might need more juice (doubt it though). I had issues with 300W and I dont know why. I picked up a Enermax 350w and everything worked fine. Dont ask!

As for upgrading, if you decide to wait, you will wait forever since there are always new things around the corner. The best advice is figure out what you want, figure out a budget and then hop on the market when things suit it. If you really want, get a new mobo now then go for it. Most of the new boards will more then likely have problems until they come out with the next revsions. Piece of advice, if you can wait for the revisions then do it. You'll save yourself from alot of problems.

I hope this helps.

Cheers!

Originally posted by zupadupa
From what I have heard and read the 1.xx arent so great. That's why they came out with revision 2.0.

Secondly, have you updated your bios to the most recent version? Do you have the most recent mobo drivers installed?

Thirdly, dont mix different RAM even if they are the same speeds. The different latencies may cause problems.

Not sure about the PS, but you might need more juice (doubt it though). I had issues with 300W and I dont know why. I picked up a Enermax 350w and everything worked fine. Dont ask!

As for upgrading, if you decide to wait, you will wait forever since there are always new things around the corner. The best advice is figure out what you want, figure out a budget and then hop on the market when things suit it. If you really want, get a new mobo now then go for it. Most of the new boards will more then likely have problems until they come out with the next revsions. Piece of advice, if you can wait for the revisions then do it. You'll save yourself from alot of problems.

I hope this helps.

Cheers!

Yes I have the latest drivers and bios settings on it. Although having diffrent memories.. I tried just using 1 of each and it still happens.

Now as far the upgrade goes.. what I meant is that in the past you would just get a motherboard and it would last at least 1-2 years of upgrades.. like the Socket A has been around for a while.. so I don't want to buy a motherboard now.. and 2 months later they change the socket size of the processor ( meaning that I am stuck if they no longer produce processors for the socket I just bought)

anyhow I am going to try the diffrent ram settings :)

You need to test using Memtest86. Make a floppy, boot from it, and come back to the computer in ~2 hours. If your memory is not running stable, you'll get errors.

Happy shopping and good to know about the MemTest86 stuff. I think i may need to try that for my ram. BAH stupid ram!

I have the same problem from time to time. (once or twice a day) I run an AMD 2800+ on an A7N8X 1.XX model.

I thought it was the memory for myself first so I got memtest86 and it runs for hours through its tests with zero errors.

I then thought maybe I had a bad processor and at the time I had an xp2400+ so I upgraded it to the 2800+ and still happened.

I then thought maybe I just had a bad install of XP. (my errors would make XP go into bluescreen mode and then reboot before I can read the error) I did a total format and started over and it still has problems.

I think I've narrowed the problem down to the motherboard for myself so far. It hasn't bothered me enough to get a new motherboard but since the AMD 64 3000+ procs are getting cheaper I've been considering upgrading to that soon. I hope that solves my problem, even though it doesn't bother me much.

just did a 6 hour mem test on both chips.. no errors :(

I am guessing I will have to jump into the AMD 64 pretty soon

Back