AMD X670E Mobo Details. ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte, Asrock and Biostar

Curious about MATX and ITX offerings. Always gotta wait on those though. I don't think I will build atx again.

Maybe I'm not reading carefully enough, but I didn't see any support for Thunderbolt. Did I miss something, or does Thunderbolt support need yet another 670 chipset?

Maybe I'm not reading carefully enough, but I didn't see any support for Thunderbolt. Did I miss something, or does Thunderbolt support need yet another 670 chipset?
They’re using USB4 in lieu of Thunderbolt (which is controlled by intel)

USB4 is compatible with Thunderbolt but as mentioned if it isn't officially licensed they can't say that. I am curious however if some of the higher end boards will be sure to include not just 20gbps but 40gbps USB4 for parity with top end Thunderbolt 4. USB4 is capable of doing this, but not every implementation is necessarily 40gbps; hopefully it will be on next gen hardware.

USB4 is compatible with Thunderbolt but as mentioned if it isn't officially licensed they can't say that. I am curious however if some of the higher end boards will be sure to include not just 20gbps but 40gbps USB4 for parity with top end Thunderbolt 4. USB4 is capable of doing this, but not every implementation is necessarily 40gbps; hopefully it will be on next gen hardware.
So if I have an external drive case that has a Thunderbolt connector, could I plug that drive into a USB 4 port and get Thunderbolt/USB 4 transfer speeds?

I'm going to be watching these (and new Intel boards) pretty closely next month. I'm noticing that only a few of these are listing built-in Bluetooth as a feature. Is it normal for that to be included and simply not mentioned? I've had a lot of BAD history with USB Bluetooth adapters, so that's actually a sticking point for me.

I'm going to be watching these (and new Intel boards) pretty closely next month. I'm noticing that only a few of these are listing built-in Bluetooth as a feature. Is it normal for that to be included and simply not mentioned? I've had a lot of BAD history with USB Bluetooth adapters, so that's actually a sticking point for me.
BT usually only comes on the "wifi" editions, that ive noticed anyways.

So if I have an external drive case that has a Thunderbolt connector, could I plug that drive into a USB 4 port and get Thunderbolt/USB 4 transfer speeds?
i think so....

Ok. Kind of feeling some hype despite not wanting to. We are getting a Gene.

E8D4668F-4008-402F-8579-CCE98AD38243.jpeg

https://www.reddit.com/r/mffpc/comments/wwvwyp/asus_announces_matx_x670e_motherboard_the_rog/

Nice to see indeed. GENE boards have traditionally been at least equal to other "named" ROG boards (usually parallel to full size boards with the Hero suffix at least and tend to be some of the best mATX overclockers/enthusiast use ones in that generation.

I am surprised though to see a GENE mATX board announced/leaked first as opposed to a mITX one. Unless I am mistaken, these days mATX, while still viable, is somewhat less popular than it used to be compared to either full size (or larger) ATX, or the smaller mITX for those seeking a compact form factor. While I'm glad to see mATX X670E getting the respect from Asus with a high end ROG Crosshair GENE, I am curious if it will be accompanied by a ROG X670E Crosshair IMPACT, its smaller parallel. IMPACT boards tend to be mITX sized or often more accurate, the mDTX standard which is slightly longer allowing for 2 full sized PCI-E lanes when mITX is usually confined to one. Given that the mounting layout is still very similar to mITX and the various ATX standards, it seems like Asus expects that SFF users who are interested in ROG "Named" (Crosshair, Maximus, etc) board level features are more likely to prefer a slight size increase to mDTX to allow for additional board features and quality. I'm guessing we'll see IMPACT before long, perhaps announced after the official Zen4 announcement in a few days.

Edit: One major feature noted in the Asus presentation a few days ago - the exceptional "Dynamic OC" ability , previously only available on the X570 Dark Hero, that allows users to get the best of boost/PBO overclock for single/few core usage but also swap over to a manual many/all core turbo overclock when needed, will be on ALL X670E (not sure about non-E, but I saw definitely E boards) Asus boards! If this is not something that other manufacturers can provide their own implementation, then Asus will be much more desirable for anyone interested in OCing and I have to give Asus credit for rolling it out across the lineup and not keeping it exclusive to a single board or only the top end lineup.

Last edited:
I am not upgrading, since I am already set for a long while on my 5900X Asus Tuf X570 board. However, these super high end boards do look exciting to me.

Nice to see indeed. GENE boards have traditionally been at least equal to other "named" ROG boards (usually parallel to full size boards with the Hero suffix at least and tend to be some of the best mATX overclockers/enthusiast use ones in that generation.
I guess I missed the memo. What is a GENE board? A web search turned up lots of medical topics.

its just one of the mobo series' names. add asus to your search....
OK got it. But what exactly does GENE stand for? What problems does it solve better than all the other ASUS sub-brands? Or is this yet a bit more of sales fluff to confuse us into spending more money?

its usually a slightly lower spec than the strix series, going by a google search...
a few less ports and not as fancy/beefy

its usually a slightly lower spec than the strix series, going by a google search...
a few less ports and not as fancy/beefy
I suck at search so I’ve never found one, but has anybody seen a hierarchy for the different mobo series from all the manufacturers? It’s fucking alphabet soup out there…

I suck at search so I’ve never found one, but has anybody seen a hierarchy for the different mobo series from all the manufacturers? It’s fucking alphabet soup out there…
Why can't the motherboard manufacturers do what WD has done in drives, with the different colors intended for different market segments. Makes buying WD a lot easier. (And I avoid Seagate.)

Back