AMD X570-successor to be Third-Party Sourced

erek

[H]F Junkie
The MyDrivers report predicts that the successor to X570, the supposed "X670," could be sourced from a third-party firm, much like the B550, and implement PCI-Express gen 4.0, not just as chipset-bus, but also putting out PCI-Express gen 4.0 general purpose lanes. A possible design goal of the X670 could be to implement PCIe gen 4.0 switching fabric without running too hot, resulting in a cooler chipset than can make do with fanless cooling solutions, much like the X470. AMD will continue to make "chipsets" in the form of I/O controller dies for use in its MCM processors, although the relatively low-margin motherboard chipset business could be axed.

https://www.techpowerup.com/261761/amd-x570-successor-to-be-third-party-sourced

Didn't ASMedia make the B350/B450? I mean it's already better than VIA with the old Athlon XP. Even the old NF2 was a pretty decent 3rd party chipset, so there's no reason to hate just because it's 3rd party as long as it is decently done (aka "NOT VIA").

Reactions: erek
like this
The MyDrivers report predicts that the successor to X570, the supposed "X670," could be sourced from a third-party firm, much like the B550, and implement PCI-Express gen 4.0, not just as chipset-bus, but also putting out PCI-Express gen 4.0 general purpose lanes. A possible design goal of the X670 could be to implement PCIe gen 4.0 switching fabric without running too hot, resulting in a cooler chipset than can make do with fanless cooling solutions, much like the X470. AMD will continue to make "chipsets" in the form of I/O controller dies for use in its MCM processors, although the relatively low-margin motherboard chipset business could be axed.

https://www.techpowerup.com/261761/amd-x570-successor-to-be-third-party-sourced
Whats up with B550 anyways. Ever coming out?

FYI the 570 chipsets are same as the I/O die... that's why they can make them cheap. But obviously not cheap enough.

So basically we have the bulldozer of chipsets with X570? Hot and Power hungry....

So basically we have the bulldozer of chipsets with X570? Hot and Power hungry....
15w maxed out with everything used up? That's less than chipsets in past.
Look at idle use on zen2 it's as good or better than Intel lol.

not really.. it runs ~50C with no fan and uses about ~9w full load, 7w idle.. the issues with the chipset are more underlying and has more to do with there being no idle state on the chipset so it runs full clock speed 100% of time and has no overtemp protection thus the reason for the fan. if you run into a situation where there's a runway heat issue the chipset will literally cook it self(basically a rehash of the old days of chipsets if you happened to disable auto restart on a BSOD). i still highly doubt they'll move to a third party since the chipset was more than likely part of the agreement with glofo to allow AMD to use TSMC. their only real option would be asmedia but since they're not even doing gen 4 chipsets for b550 i doubt they'll be doing gen 4 x670.. but there's also the option that they move to gen 5 and push x670 to zen 4 and skip releasing a new chipset for zen 3. then maybe i could see asmedia doing it.

Soundstorm was probably the first time onboard audio was taken seriously.

Yup and the Abit board with nforce1 I had was what drove me to use only usb mics since 2005. 5.1 audio onboard was nice though.

...and ALi - We had VIA, SiS, nForce, ALi - There may not be good profits in chipsets, none the less Intel was always at work to make solid new gen chipsets - to which lead them to many years of having solid products vs 3rd party/class product.

Reactions: dgz
like this
Back