AMD x570 chipset

fightingfi

2[H]4U
According to the slide posted at Gamer.com.tw, AMD is planning to introduce Matisse-based chipset already at Computex. The slides have Gigabyte watermarks.

This X570 chipset would be the first to support PCI Express Gen 4, a technology supported by Zen 2 and 7nm Vega. This is interesting because AMD was not very eager to confirm that consumer parts, such as Ryzen or Radeon RX, would also support PCIe 4.0. If this leak holds true, then it would be very strange if Navi and Ryzen 3000 were not capable of supporting PCIe 4.0 as well.

The slide is clearly a few months ago, as B450 and Athlon 200GE series are still marked in red. That said, it is possible that the launch could be planned for a different event now.

Don't be surprised if we don't see consumer 7nm AMD Ryzen 3000 CPU's and X570 motherboards until Q3 2019. AMD has already made it clear that the first 7nm batch is not for consumers. CES 2019 would be too soon for such a consumer release. Computex in June 2019 at the earliest.

AMD has been quite vague about a specific release date for consumer release, and based on AMD's release history I'm remembering the Vega GPU that was announced at CES 2017 but didn't get released until Q3 2017 - like 9 months late.

AMD has been clear that the first round of 7nm AMD CPU's will *NOT* be for consumers. CES seems to early for such a release - I hope I'm wrong but again, based on AMD's release history it could be announced at CES but still not be released for 9 months.

And we won't see PCIe 4.0 on consumer boards until 2020. Btw, PCIe 4.0 will be for consumers while PCIe 5.0 will not be for consumers. PCIe 5.0 will only be for AI and science, medical research etc.

There is a CES announcement not a launch :)

And Q3 of 2019 for the new Ryzen 3000 series APU.

Last edited:
I am hoping for a CES 2019 announcement followed by a Computex 2019 (at the very latest) release...

I am looking forward to building up the following:

ASRock B450 ITX motherboard
Ryzen 5 3600 GPU
16GB DDR4-3200 RAM
500GB M.2 NVMe SSD
Radeon RX 3080 GPU
600 watt SFX PSU

Last edited:
I don't know whether to get a B450 mobo, semi-cheap X470 mobo or just get a decent X470 (like the Taichi or Gaming 7) and just get a 3600X or 3700X when it comes out? Which is the best alternative or option there?

I really do wonder if 16 lanes of PCIE 4.0 lanes could be bifurcated into something more practical like 32 lanes of PCIE 3.0?

A possible 16 core AM4 Zen 2 CPU coupled with 32 PCIE 3.0 lanes would basicly be a mini threadripper.

Or perhaps I'm thinking of this incorrectly. I suppose motherboard designers could opt to make the PCIE slots all electrically PCIE 4.0 x4 or x8 so that they would be able to make better use of its throughput potential.

I really do wonder if 16 lanes of PCIE 4.0 lanes could be bifurcated into something more practical like 32 lanes of PCIE 3.0?

A possible 16 core AM4 Zen 2 CPU coupled with 32 PCIE 3.0 lanes would basicly be a mini threadripper.

Or perhaps I'm thinking of this incorrectly. I suppose motherboard designers could opt to make the PCIE slots all electrically PCIE 4.0 x4 or x8 so that they would be able to make better use of its throughput potential.

A Mini Threadripper would be pretty cool, more NVMe SSDs straight to the CPU...

And if they could add a higher RAM capacity, that would be great...

Back