AMD WRX80 Threadripper PRO Platform Breaks From OEM Shackles, ASUS WS WRX80 SAGE Spotted

erek

[H]F Junkie
"Here's the first picture of the ASUS WS WRX80 SAGE, a no-holes-barred workstation motherboard based on the AMD WRX80 chipset, supporting Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3000 series processors. This board wires out each of the processor's eight memory channels to its own DIMM slot (1 DIMM per channel), and spreads the processor's lavish PCIe 4.0 lane budget among seven PCI-Express 4.0 x16 slots, three onboard (and possibly four by AIC) M.2 NVMe slots, a pair of U.2 NVMe slots, and I/O that very likely includes a pair of 10 GbE connections. Getting the board is the easy part. You'll need to hunt down a Ryzen Threadripper PRO sWRX80 processor, and a PSU that can feed the board's three 8-pin EPS, and two 6-pin PCIe, besides the 24-pin ATX."

1610376137505.png

https://www.techpowerup.com/277066/...-from-oem-shackles-asus-ws-wrx80-sage-spotted

With a monster price tag to boot. I have no doubt that motherboard is $1,000 or more.
That is cheap for a mother board on this class. Hell there are x570 and z490 boards going for $700+

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Interesting that we now see WRX80! I'm guessing it doesn't even support normal Threadripper 3000 series chips, only Threadripper PRO? Seems a little curious at this point but I'm guessing even at what is sure to be a considerable cost it is likely to fit somewhere between a standard Threadripper and EPYC in terms of price. If these processors and motherboards were basically exclusively for Lenovo for quite some time I wonder why they're doing this now?

I'm hoping tomorrow we'll hear something about Zen3 powered Threadrippers (Threadripper 4000 series? ). If this is the case, I wonder if they're going to use a new chipset, or stay with some version of TRX40 for Threadripper? However, maybe they're also planning to launch Threadripper PRO procs that could be compatible with WRX80 boards too? Otherwise, it seems like a very particular niche to what has been exclusively a Lenovo OEM platform for a generation. Guess we'll see.

Back