AMD Working on their version of DLSS

tangoseal

[H]F Junkie
According to reports AMD is working on a DLSS Alternative to use on their GPUs.

Source: Verge

Link: AMD’s new Radeon RX 6800 XT promises to go head to head with Nvidia’s RTX 3080

Excerpt:
While AMD is promising to go head to head with Nvidia in 4K gaming and more, the one big missing piece of this battle is a lack of an equivalent to Nvidia’s DLSS. Nvidia’s AI-powered super sampling technology has been transformative for the games that support it, bringing great image quality and higher frame rates by simply toggling a game setting.

AMD tells me it has a new super sampling feature in testing, which is designed to increase performance during ray tracing. The company is promising its super sampling technology will be open and cross-platform, which means it could come to next-gen consoles like the Xbox Series X and PS5. AMD is working with a number of partners on this technology, and it’s expecting strong industry support. Unfortunately, this won’t be ready for the launch of these three new Radeon RX 6000 Series cards.

Yeah the news about this new tech is kind of cloudy and unclear. We can assume they are different and at the same time they are the same thing haha

I guess we can assume its an extension of what they developed on the 5XXX series cards.

Yeah the news about this new tech is kind of cloudy and unclear. We can assume they are different and at the same time they are the same thing haha
This is a sharpening tech. I expect it is one of the many they will use in addition to DirectX ML SuperResolution.

Last edited:
Well CAS already exists, this super sampling is definitely something new.

I wouldn't be surprised if they combined it with other features, but my guess is that it is a real competitor to DLSS.

What AMD absolutely must do is make it a driver feature that works with any game. That would be insane.

if dlss is turned off in nvidia. is the amd raw power beating nvidia?

Not sure if this is the same but I posted this earlier.

This is their existing Fidelity FX upscaling, with the CAS (contrast aware sharpening) combo'd with it, as one setting. But you can adjust the strength of CAS, with a slider.

This is not their new Supersampling tech.

Fidelity FX upscaling is solid. But I wish they didn't force you to use TAA along with it. I prefer Death Stranding's FXAA. The anti-aliasing probably isn't quite as good. But, DS' FXAA implementation is a lot less blurry than TAA. I don't like to trade aliasing for blurry details.

According to reports AMD is working on a DLSS Alternative to use on their GPUs.

Source: Verge

Link: AMD’s new Radeon RX 6800 XT promises to go head to head with Nvidia’s RTX 3080

Excerpt:
While AMD is promising to go head to head with Nvidia in 4K gaming and more, the one big missing piece of this battle is a lack of an equivalent to Nvidia’s DLSS. Nvidia’s AI-powered super sampling technology has been transformative for the games that support it, bringing great image quality and higher frame rates by simply toggling a game setting.

AMD tells me it has a new super sampling feature in testing, which is designed to increase performance during ray tracing. The company is promising its super sampling technology will be open and cross-platform, which means it could come to next-gen consoles like the Xbox Series X and PS5. AMD is working with a number of partners on this technology, and it’s expecting strong industry support. Unfortunately, this won’t be ready for the launch of these three new Radeon RX 6000 Series cards.
AMD's super sampling technology is supposed to be ready in the December time frame.

I think AMD's benchmarks show the 6800XT and 6900XT having a very slight edge over their competitors.

I was compensating for their past benchmarks vs reality. ;)

Given Raja is gone, lets see how it pans out.

You guys are using the word “super sampling” for AMD’s version of DLSS. Isn’t upscaling a more appropriate word? Given DLSS can do both, it’s generally used for AI upscaling.

AMD definitely needs an answer to DLSS, and hopefully one that's both universal for most/all games and is as effective as DLSS 2.0. Because I'll be honest in that this tech alone is one of the things I've enjoyed considerably on my 2080 and will definitely keep my on team Green for my next card even if it's only available on most major titles.

Personally DLSS is a much larger perk than ray-tracing as well, as it allows these cards to punch well above their weight with little to no (or in some instances improved) hit on image quality. It still amazes me that a RTX 2060 can play Wolfenstein YB at 4k/60 with DLSS 2.0 and it looks as good or better than native resolution. While I know that's probably the best example of DLSS in games still, most other DLSS 2.0 titles aren't much behind that kind of performance. I also know that no 2060 owner is likely to be running a 4K display, but that translates well to a more common/likely 1080p/240Hz or 1440p/120Hz config as well. Regardless, it can definitely add a lot of longevity to a card as more games support it. But of course not all games support DLSS and that is where AMD can capitalize if they can implement a comparable universal solution.

You guys are using the word “super sampling” for AMD’s version of DLSS. Isn’t upscaling a more appropriate word? Given DLSS can do both, it’s generally used for AI upscaling.
The "SS" in "DLSS" stands for super sampling. You're right though. They are both used for upscaling, but I think that word has a bad connotation so probably not best for marketing.

The "SS" in "DLSS" stands for super sampling. You're right though. They are both used for upscaling, but I think that word has a bad connotation so probably not best for marketing.

DLSS was originally intended to do both. It was supposed to do the equivilant of 1.83x SSAA for freeeeee or you could pick speed for same quality but more fps. We know how that turned out...

I think they should try to make some more unique names for this stuff.

AMD is calling their new thing "super resolution". But they already have VSR, Nvidia has DSR, and there is a now classic, very good upscaling method known as the super resolution method. Calling their new thing "Super Resolution" is confusing and belies that its actually something different.

What kind of answer is nope? An opinion? Subjective? What is the contextual foundation of nope?

I ask because if DLSS is turned on and AMD is still beating it then DLSS turned off and AMD is absolutely destroying nvidia.

I would not get too hyped about a rumored or promised tech until it is launched. It took Nvidia 2 years to get DLSS to point where people would actually want to use it. Variable Rate Shading may make DLSS obsolete for performance reasons, DLSS does not work well when VRS is being used. VRS can increase performance 20%-40% rendering at native resolution which should help when doing RT. Could be at a point if you use DLSS on Nvidia and VRS on AMD you may end up with very similar performance for a given quality level. Now if AMD can have upscaling that plays better with VRS that may create a huge performance increase. If an effective open standard is available for upscaling, current method DLSS would most likely be pointless or not used.

DLSS was a great idea, and it does work great... in the 2 games with good support after 2 years. The issue is that it's proprietary and requires developer programming.

If AMD can make a general solution that works without having to pay developers, and also leverages standards, then they will win out (just like FreeSync won).

if dlss is turned off in nvidia. is the amd raw power beating nvidia?
So far the leaked benchmarks and AMD slides (taken with a grain of salt) show that it does indeed beat nvidia, so not sure were the nope came from. Obviously we won't know exactly where it ends up, but all indications to this point have shown that the 3080 gets outperformed by the 6800xt and the 3090 gets outperformed by the 6900xt in raster games without DLSS. Early indications show raytracing is still behind the 3080, but have the 6800 RT > 3070... but again, these are early indications, so we still aren't exactly sure where everything is going to fall until cards get tested by reviewers.

Back