Become a Patron!

AMD Will Show off Radeon RX Vega at Computex

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Megalith, May 19, 2017.

1. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

Radeon VP Raja Koduri participated in a reddit AMA this week and revealed some nuggets of Vega-related info. While he would not discuss price or launch date, he did reveal that the consumer product will be shown off during Computex. It is not clear whether we will get solid release information at that time, however. Mr. Koduri asks prospective buyers to be patient, as RX Vega includes novel, limited technologies such as HBM2 that “can’t be mastered overnight.”

We’ll be showing Radeon RX Vega off at Computex, but it won't be on store shelves that week. We know how eager you are to get your hands on Radeon RX Vega, and we’re working extremely hard to bring you a graphics card that you’ll be incredibly proud to own. Developing products with billions of transistors and forward-thinking architecture is extremely difficult -- but extremely rewarding -- work. And some of Vega’s features, like our High Bandwidth Cache Controller, HBM2, Rapid-Packed Math, or the new geometry pipeline, have the potential to really break new ground and fundamentally improve game development. These aren’t things that can be mastered overnight.

2. Space_Ranger

Space_Ranger Limp Gawd

Translation: We know we're screwed, we're just trying to find the best way to make it more palatable to the general public.

DPI, KazeoHin and oROEchimaru like this.
  3. cyclone3d

cyclone3d [H]ardForum Junkie

Or they just don't have it quite ready yet.

Still rocking an R9 390 here and I have absolutely no desire to upgrade yet.

4. Mugato

Mugato Gawd

Sure isn't a warm and fuzzy is it.

5. Zedicus

Zedicus Limp Gawd

this reminds me of the PS3. at some point they are either going to have to start shaving features, or add another 0 at the end of the price.

6. HeadRusch

HeadRusch Limp Gawd

Like Ryzen, their boards may only perform with patches and specific coding to their architecture........so they're going to sit on them until the fall. They have to launch their stuff in that dark window when 1080 Ti is 'old news' and Nvidia's 2018 new architecture is still far enough away (Q1/2?) to give impatient people a reason to jump ship, maybe capitalize on the Holiday shopping.....and hope SCORPIO isn't causing any PC upgraders to take a different path. Hopefully their big announce won't try to impress the PC gaming world with Ashes Of The Singularity numbers :p

7. iolair

iolair Limp Gawd

I want them to succeed....I have a Free Sync monitor.....but my translation: Our Radeon RX Vega has the most advanced techology and really rocks on paper, but...ah, we haven't quite figured out how to transition from pie in the sky to real world performance.....please be patient.

8. Hypergreatthing

Hypergreatthing [H]ard|Gawd

Lol whut?

9. Nukester

Nukester Gawd

"Please don't suck"

10. JosiahBradley

JosiahBradley [H]ard|Gawd

If this is close to a 1080ti at similar prices I'm down for 2. I keep 2 1080Ti's in my cart waiting for Vega and it is so tempting to jump ship except for my awesome Freesync monitor.

11. oROEchimaru

oROEchimaru [H]ardness Supreme

come on now... alot of people (especially younger folks) will have 600$ all summer and have to determine if they want a pc or scorpio its a real thing. the other side of it is ... will scorpio fail all together.

12. gigaxtreme1

gigaxtreme1 2[H]4U

HBM2 scarcity is the problem to develop inventory. Some stories were circulating about less the 20K units a few weeks ago. HBM is ramping, but only now available in quantity. Lower speed too. Higher speed HBM2 is 4th quarter availability.

13. HeadRusch

HeadRusch Limp Gawd

Holiday launches mean you're competing with Santa, so that $500 bucks you had set aside for your new AMD Vega card might be $200, with $300 being spent on that Fruit-Of-The-Month Club subscription for Mom, and that case of Michelob for Dad, and on and on it goes.

14. RogueTadhg

RogueTadhg Gawd

Wait for Vega?

Wait for Volta.

DPI and GoldenTiger like this.
  15. Hypergreatthing

Hypergreatthing [H]ard|Gawd

Do parents really buy 500$ video cards for xmas? Does that happen a lot?
    I mean a 300$ xbox would be the max for me and that would be a really expensive gift.

16. DPI

DPI [H]ardForum Junkie

Not a chance in hell. It's like you guys learn nothing from the past three major AMD launches (Bulldozer, Fiji, Ryzen). Temper your expectations.

17. Syntax_Error

Syntax_Error n00bie

So a paper launch then? I personally don't think HBM2 is worth the delay (or the cost), regardless of the sheer novelty. I mean how much of its bandwidth does the Fury X use?