AMD Will Reportedly Launch the X570 Chipset, with PCIe 4.0, at Computex

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
A gamer.com.tw user has posted an alleged slide from Gigabyte regarding AMD’s upcoming X570 chipset, which will support both past and next-generation Ryzen processors: the graphic indicates it will launch at Computex (May 28 to June 1, 2019) and represent the first consumer platform supporting PCIe 4.0, which offers a 16 GT/s bitrate. An additional slide provides insight on Intel’s Glacier Falls HEDT CPU release, which seems slated for the third quarter of 2019.

The launch of the X570 chipset and respective motherboards is pitted for Computex 2019, which makes a lot of sense. As the biggest consumer PC hardware trade show, AMD may hold an event where they announce their new Ryzen 3000 series family. At the previous Computex event, AMD unveiled their Ryzen Threadripper 2000 series processors. This would also allow motherboard manufacturers to showcase their new X570 solutions to attendees of the event.

Wonder if this will work out like Sandy Bridge-E for PCI-3 for those of us, atleast, on Ryzen 2000, that would be nifty.

All ROADS LEAD TO ROME

ROME is actually AMD'S 14NM CONTROLLER CHIP with 3 different memory controllers with two revisions of pcie on die with the infinity fabric links then its a mix and match game of chiplet + memory + interface. this would make a single chiplet die be able to address any market segment the customer desires.

Last edited:
Woah, PCIe 4 is happening?

I expect to wake up and find out this isn't real anytime now....

If AMD releases a 16/32 Ryzen 3700x, the odds will be good that the PS5 and the next XBox will have 8 Zen2 cores. Intel is releasing a 10 core beast to desktop soon, I know HEDT has had 10 cores for a while, so they must know something.

Damn, AMD is really going at it for real! :D Guess it is true what was said that reports of their death were greatly exaggerated.

Dr. Su is an incredible CEO and engineer, but Rory Reed did create the semi-custom division and opened up AMD's patents to partners which gave them much needed cash.

If AMD releases a 16/32 Ryzen 3700x, the odds will be good that the PS5 and the next XBox will have 8 Zen2 cores. Intel is releasing a 10 core beast to desktop soon, I know HEDT has had 10 cores for a while, so they must know something.

This. Been looking for the reason to upgrade as im getting close to my normal cycle. Delayed a year because i was unimpressed with how little thigns have changed since i got my i7 in 2013. Honestly. I would be happy with an 8/16 at 4.5 ghz for around 300$

That to me seems like the sweet spot and anything above that in core count or clock speed for the same price is would just sweeten the pie.

Isn't PCI-E version a CPU feature for the main 2 slots ? Sure, PCI-E 4.0 for the rest of slots can be helpfull too, but those are just x1/x4 slots.

Isn't PCI-E version a CPU feature for the main 2 slots ? Sure, PCI-E 4.0 for the rest of slots can be helpfull too, but those are just x1/x4 slots.
It could allow more bandwidth for the other slots, meaning those could be all x4 or x8 slots, depending on how it's implemented.

W61vIfc.png

Guys you are missing the point of and the genius of 7nm chiplets design let me elaborate

all the interfaces will be on the large 14nm io die in the middle. amd can include all the things they want in this io die. this would include different generations of pcie bus, memory controllers for hbm&ddr&gddr and infinity links the 14nm io chip will be cheap to produce and yields will be near very high this would also allow them to retain socket and chipset compatibility with older am4 boards and future am4 boards.

What this means is amd can make 7nm chiplets for cpu's, gpu's, and accelerators with just infinity links on them and connect them to the io die and essentially mix and match for the prospective buyer, one waffer could yield chips for any market segment and customer.

Customer A wants a 8c/16t ryzen 3xxx with 6 navi chiplets running on gddr6 ok done

Customer B wants a 8c/16t ryzen 3xxx with 6 navi chiplets running on hmb3 ok done

Customer C wants a 4c/8t ryzen 3xxx with 4 navi chiplets and a custom ai chiplet running ddr4 ok done

all can be done w/o huge r&d time sink its like playing with legos and you have your product

Last edited:
If pcie 4 is the x570 gotcha, I think I'll pass. Just don't need that extra bandwidth yet. Ill probably be better off sinking the money into a custom loop and 3700x.

If pcie 4 is the x570 gotcha, I think I'll pass. Just don't need that extra bandwidth yet. Ill probably be better off sinking the money into a custom loop and 3700x.
I would imagine it is for new purchase. X370/470 already offer some nice boards that we are using. But if buying new I know I would spring for the X570.

I would imagine it is for new purchase. X370/470 already offer some nice boards that we are using. But if buying new I know I would spring for the X570.

Same here, AMD should be releasing PCI-E 4.0 consumer GPU's at some point as well.

With NVME and possibly 10GbE pushing into the consumer space the extra bandwidth could be useful.

Another big consideration would be USB3+ and thunderbolt connectors consuming a lot of bandwidth.

thankfully with zen 1/+/2 you're not locked into requiring a x570 motherboard to use zen 2 so anything from b350/x370 to b550/x570 is available to you.

Same here, AMD should be releasing PCI-E 4.0 consumer GPU's at some point as well.

my guess is all 3 (zen 2, consumer pcie 4.0, and navi/or what ever it ends up being called) will be announced at the same time.

In other news, you can now get a Honda Civic with a 4" exhaust....

First off, the Honda Civic is a great car and therefore, what you are attempting to claim does not work. :D :rolleyes: Second off, AMD is kicking butt, finally, and you seem to have an issue with that. (Did not see a /s on your post so I can only assume.)

First off, the Honda Civic is a great car and therefore, what you are attempting to claim does not work. :D :rolleyes: Second off, AMD is kicking butt, finally, and you seem to have an issue with that. (Did not see a /s on your post so I can only assume.)

Ford said the Edsel was a great car too. Honda, pffff. :)

Does it have nbase-t built in? More PCI-e lanes like the Threadrippers?

My computer is pretty new, so I'll try to hold out for a while. If the Ryzen 3xxx is faster and uses less Watts, I might upgrade just for that. I love that crap. I'm weird like that...

Sounds okay but the details are more important then just X570 in this case and PCI-E 4.0 sounds good but what hardware is there to saturate bandwidth unless you running a gpu farm ?

I was the one that had posted this first what do i need to do again please to get credit for this article please thank you sir :)

Sounds okay but the details are more important then just X570 in this case and PCI-E 4.0 sounds good but what hardware is there to saturate bandwidth unless you running a gpu farm ?
The short answer mGPU to reduce the latency of such configurations. There are other use cases like NVMe raid card devices and high end NIC cards.

PCIE 4.0 should really help the viability of CF for AMD so it makes a lot of sense just based on that, but will also double the bandwidth potential for new NVMe devices to take advantage of the additional bandwidth. What's also interesting is PCIE 5.0 is expected to pretty quickly replace it. This ultimately bodes well for AMD to transition toward a chiplet GPU design and probably some sort of I/O hub for it like they've done with the newest Ryzen chip that in conjunction with the newest PCIE spec and infinity fabric should big significant to multi-gpu configurations latency/bandwidth they could both decrease latency while improving performance over PCIE 3.0 in such scenario's. If AMD really wanted to do something clever they'd create a infinity fabric between the x16/x8 PCIE slots to communicate directly. That would be great for HBCC. AMD could do something really unique actually since they are a CPU maker they could make a add in PCIE embedded encrypted ramdisk card with it's own Ryzen CPU which can directly communicate via infinity fabric to a compatible HBCC GPU.

Last edited:
Guys you are missing the point of and the genius of 7nm chiplets design let me elaborate

all the interfaces will be on the large 14nm io die in the middle. amd can include all the things they want in this io die. this would include different generations of pcie bus, memory controllers for hbm&ddr&gddr and infinity links the 14nm io chip will be cheap to produce and yields will be near very high this would also allow them to retain socket and chipset compatibility with older am4 boards and future am4 boards.

What this means is amd can make 7nm chiplets for cpu's, gpu's, and accelerators with just infinity links on them and connect them to the io die and essentially mix and match for the prospective buyer, one waffer could yield chips for any market segment and customer.

Customer A wants a 8c/16t ryzen 3xxx with 6 navi chiplets running on gddr6 ok done

Customer B wants a 8c/16t ryzen 3xxx with 6 navi chiplets running on hmb3 ok done

Customer C wants a 4c/8t ryzen 3xxx with 4 navi chiplets and a custom ai chiplet running ddr4 ok done

all can be done w/o huge r&d time sink its like playing with legos and you have your product

"Chiplets" = new drinking game.

I did not realize Zen2 was going to be PCIe4 based.

Beating!

I wonder how soon there will actually be expansion cards that can use it!

Edit:

Apparently "Neato" autocorrects to "Beating".

Reactions: Nobu
like this
It's still the same socket though, which means that even though we'll be getting PCIe 4.0, well still be stuck at only 16 native direct to CPU lanes :(

Hmmm. Being a x370 user. I doubt I will upgrade the motherboard unless it really allows me to expand my options.

Granted I am just assuming I will be able to drop in a Ryzen 3xxx series cpu and go. I saw no reason to upgrade to the 2700x when it came out over my overclocked 1700. I hope the 3XXX series can provide some solid gains in performance. Intel is still running around like a chicken with their head cut off.

Don't miss that this means you can double Thunderbolt bandwidth (another time) which would make it the equivalent of 8x in 3.0 terms. Laptops with external GPU boxes based on high end GPU's can become a reality. High bandwidth external arrays for storage on a notebook also are possible.

And not to miss the point, but this is yet another reason why $1.2K prices on 2080 Ti's are crazy. When 4.0 gets here the resale on 3.0 is going to take a hit. I also think the quick leap to 5.0 isn't really going to happen all that fast despite the claims the spec is ready. Now the question will be when is Intel really going to join in with mainstream and mobile solutions? AMD is leading - and that is good for everyone.

Looks good, I am more excited about Ryzen 2, but will hopefully be in the market for a new board at the time as well.

Don't miss that this means you can double Thunderbolt bandwidth (another time) which would make it the equivalent of 8x in 3.0 terms. Laptops with external GPU boxes based on high end GPU's can become a reality. High bandwidth external arrays for storage on a notebook also are possible.

And not to miss the point, but this is yet another reason why $1.2K prices on 2080 Ti's are crazy. When 4.0 gets here the resale on 3.0 is going to take a hit. I also think the quick leap to 5.0 isn't really going to happen all that fast despite the claims the spec is ready. Now the question will be when is Intel really going to join in with mainstream and mobile solutions? AMD is leading - and that is good for everyone.
AMD would be foolish not to transition to 5.0 quick. They can use it to make mGPU better hell even NVMe M.2 HBCC storage built onto it's Radeon Pro cards. AMD could even make a embedded ramdisk card with a Ryzen CPU on board SenseMi and LPDDR 4 dimm slot or two that has infinity fabric directly linked to their PCIE 4.0 GPU slot to use with HBCC. Now where that ramdisk design makes sense over a software based one CPU utilization and memory bandwidth in a system are shared so having that all offloaded to a embedded card is a real positive since it doesn't have to compete and fight over usage of shared resources in the same manner.

AMD would be foolish not to transition to 5.0 quick.
No reason not to with the Rome design. Infinity Fabric is based on PCIe signaling and speeding up the interconnect obviously has benefits. Secondly they only have to spin a new IO die to integrate the new standard without bothering with the chiplets if they arrive for consumers.

Yep, probably gonna upgrade to a new CPU next year... X570, here we come!

Back