AMD Will Reportedly Launch the X570 Chipset, with PCIe 4.0, at Computex

No reason not to with the Rome design. Infinity Fabric is based on PCIe signaling and speeding up the interconnect obviously has benefits. Secondly they only have to spin a new IO die to integrate the new standard without bothering with the chiplets if they arrive for consumers.
Just the transition to 4.0 has huge implications for mGPU and one thing AMD could do beyond CF is having a dedicated post process injection GPU die directly wired to the main GPU or even several of them designed in mind to do certain post process techniques very efficiently and well. The Ryzen I/O was a really clever thing from AMD that I see coming to GPU's quickly to do so much more.

Just the transition to 4.0 has huge implications for mGPU and one thing AMD could do beyond CF is having a dedicated post process injection GPU die directly wired to the main GPU or even several of them designed in mind to do certain post process techniques very efficiently and well. The Ryzen I/O was a really clever thing from AMD that I see coming to GPU's quickly to do so much more.
Agreed, however a GPU could be interesting. Ideally they could get MCM working, but a design similar to Rome with say 3 processing chiplets and 1 front-end/cache chiplet could be interesting. See if that allows them to really push clocks on the front-end around the serial issues they have now. Would be a huge chip, but could be workable with chiplets. Just a theory, nothing to support it.

I still think they could get mGPU working if primitive shaders were functioning.

Back