amd will loan you chip

that's what has worried me the most about getting the 2400g is getting screwed on the bios update, but if this is the case i'm ordering mine today before some assholes abuse this crap and AMD stops doing it.

from what I have read, you have to ship the processor back to AMD once you are done? Any confirmation on that? Haven't seen any concrete info on that.

from what I have read, you have to ship the processor back to AMD once you are done? Any confirmation on that? Haven't seen any concrete info on that.

pretty much an honor system but i'm sure they'll be paying close attention to fleabay or amazon if all of a sudden a bunch of their processors start showing up there. also wouldn't surprise me if they were unstable processors but good enough to at least boot up to update the bios..

Yeah probably have to turn em back in, but that's pretty cool they do that to get 3XX compatibility!

You ship the chip back, but not the cooler. The chip if I recall correctly is the slowest dual core they offer. Basically good for just this job and nothing else at this point.

Might as well get some use out of them.

I Doubt they are flying off shelves at this point.

yes as stated in the other thread aboot this, you get a chip and hsf, use it to update and ship just the chip back. no hsf return saves them shipping.

yes as stated in the other thread aboot this, you get a chip and hsf, use it to update and ship just the chip back. no hsf return saves them shipping.

Thats pretty cool you get to keep the HSF. I was wondering if you get the CPU for free. Either way good on AMD for this IMO.

im assuming its gonna be the cheapest pos alu block they can find in the rma bin :)

im assuming its gonna be the cheapest pos alu block they can find in the rma bin

It does not have to be much. Just enough to keep the CPU from thermal shutdown during the BIOS flash process.

huh....the more I think about it....why wouldn't they let the chip just throttle itself to a few hundred mhz...I thought they had that under control (I think back to when installing the HSF slightly wrong cost you a CPU!)

*EDIT* Or just have it already crippled to operate incredibly slow (unless they just have a shit town of overstock for these chips)

Wow, this is pretty awesome.

Anyone who works with PCs know that new Intel CPUs on old architectures (I.E 7700Ks on Z170 mainboards) require the same exact BIOS updates, and will completely fail to POST without a pre-update chip.

But because AMD does the same thing, it's news worthy. not only that, but AMD now offers loaner chips to get the BIOS updated. Thats freaking insane.

Good on AMD, that's customer service!

It's mostly because AMD charges out-the-ass for their dual-cores, even though they get raped by Intel in everything except games.

Intel Celerons start at $40. Bristol Ridge starts at $65. That's a much higher price to acquire a backup core.

Hey this is a new refreshing to see AMD show some form of caring of their customer's needs! I'm game!

pretty much an honor system but i'm sure they'll be paying close attention to fleabay or amazon if all of a sudden a bunch of their processors start showing up there. also wouldn't surprise me if they were unstable processors but good enough to at least boot up to update the bios..
I am sure they are good cpu. Why take the risk sending them a dud cpu that could cause you to brick your MB? Too much of a risk and headache for them to deal with.

It's mostly because AMD charges out-the-ass for their dual-cores, even though they get raped by Intel in everything except games.

Intel Celerons start at $40. Bristol Ridge starts at $65. That's a much higher price to acquire a backup core.
Depending on stock (currently OOS), Newegg had the 35W dual-core for $60 the other day. [through antonline]

This is stock that will have to be written down or written off as the Raven Ridge processors ramp. Better off writing the stuff off as margins on those are in the tank.

Maybe you're now on the "honor system" because you have a new Ryzen, and it knows where you live, your passwords, etc.??

(I'm just suspicious whenever a company "loses its mind" and offers up something to good to be true)

(or maybe, they've just "lost their mind".... memories of AMD around 2005-ish, when they shot themselves in the head, but apparently not a fatal shot.)

Maybe you're now on the "honor system" because you have a new Ryzen, and it knows where you live, your passwords, etc.??

(I'm just suspicious whenever a company "loses its mind" and offers up something to good to be true)

(or maybe, they've just "lost their mind".... memories of AMD around 2005-ish, when they shot themselves in the head, but apparently not a fatal shot.)

while offering chips is new, amd's done other similar things like when they had they had the issue with cpu's crashing during high computational loads(just woke up so i can't remember what people were calling it) AMD was shipping the new processor first before requiring you to send in the old one so that you weren't cpu-less for a week but people abused the hell out of the system so they were forced to go back to the old way of you having to send your processor first before they would send you a new one.

while offering chips is new, amd's done other similar things like when they had they had the issue with cpu's crashing during high computational loads(just woke up so i can't remember what people were calling it) AMD was shipping the new processor first before requiring you to send in the old one so that you weren't cpu-less for a week but people abused the hell out of the system so they were forced to go back to the old way of you having to send your processor first before they would send you a new one.

It's a pretty friendly policy. Not good business, but still, hope it works out for them ... for the best.

Back