AMD vs. Nvidia vs. Reshade, Who Has the Best Game Sharpening Feature?

5150Joker

Supreme [H]ardness
HWUB delivers yet again with a comparison between ReShade, FreeStyle and AMD RIS. RIS comes out on top w/the least performance hit with FreeStyle taking the largest hit. But the quick and dirty CAS ported to ReShade has a minimal hit (~3-4%) and when used between 0.5-0.8 gives the same quality as run on Navi (which I also noted in my video I posted on HardOCP). And they concluded the same thing I did, that RIS has no reason to be restricted to just Navi as it works just fine on ReShade (minus the scaling RIS can do but that's not really important IMO).

Summary (not just the video but my opinion too):

NV FreeStyle:
Pros: Works in DX 11 which RIS does not and has way more filters to choose from.
Cons: Bigger performance hit, not as good as RIS for sharpening.

RIS:
Pros: Works w/a global toggle (on NAVI only) and has the best sharpening w/least perf. hit
Cons: No DX 11 and limited to Navi for AMD

ReShade:
Pros: Many types of filters to choose from including CAS and CAS levels can be adjusted unlike AMD RIS. LumaSharpen doesn't work as good as CAS but has a small perf hit. Works on a wider range of games and not limited like RIS is right now.
Cons: Some anticheats do not let you use it and has to be installed for each game rather than a simple global toggle like RIS.

I personally use CAS w/ReShade for my games as I prefer the image it gives and has a minimal perf impact w/my Titan X Pascal.

Last edited:
I believe Freestyle also requires specific support for each game. Could be wrong, however. Maybe some of the effects work with "any" game?

I believe Freestyle also requires specific support for each game. Could be wrong, however. Maybe some of the effects work with "any" game?

Freestyle works in a lot of games but not all unfortunately. NVidia controls which it works with but quite a few work.

Back