AMD vs Nvidia; GTX 1060 vs. RX 480 - An Updated Review.

You have to calculate the margins before you decide.

The constant expansion of your terminology exponentially increases the validity of your argument. I concede.

Exponential increase, your ability to over exaggerate through embellishment, doesn't do you justice. I suggest using a word like articulate, to the point, understanding the nuances of what words to use will help you get the point across a bit better

So which one is better? I'm lost in the dialogue and my case will be here tomorrow.

Either one is fine, both cards do well and about the same performance (API's with standing, D11 goes in favor of 1060, DX12, its a wash, but some can say its DX12 advantage for the 480 but if you look at those games those specific games do better than the 1060 in DX11 too, so that came about by developers being a bit more keen on AMD optimizations), just check what games you like and look at benchmarks for those games. Just don't look at this review, because it doesn't show anything meaningful or valid for that matter.

Just keep in mind price vs power consumption, the 1060 most likely will be a bit more, but its power consumption is less.

Last edited:
So which one is better? I'm lost in the dialogue and my case will be here tomorrow.
Whichever model you go for, check the size of the card as I missed if you say you used medium or medium-to-large case, some of the cards can be rather lengthy and that is the nice thing with the a few of the 1060 models and also the 480 Sapphire Nitro/OC (still think this is the shortest 480).
Cheers

This thread is depressing. People arguing about science which has pretty absolute rules on things and people defending companies based on some misguided loyalty. The article posted was poorly executed and valid points made against its conclusion. Regardless of the error the point that hardware improves with better software stands no matter which hardware may get the best improvement. Speaking from experience my 290xs are way faster than when they were released. Just turning on Vulkan in Doom alone made me feel like I bought a new GPU. Both nVidia and AMD are still on some old architectures so driver improvements are going to continue.

I know people should just buy the best deal they can find for their budget. There is has been alot of great sales on GTX1060's and RX480's. I just happened to find a great deal on Rx480 so i went with that and i don't regret my purchase at all.

Not sure we are reading the same thread here :)
The point is they are only using some of the measurements they did earlier and ommitted ones that would strengthen Nvidia end conclusion, and they also changed the settings from earlier in 2 games, hence the debate why the end conclusion is skewed...
I think you're Reading too much into the test sets.

Here's my take on it:
Objectives for choice of games and settings:
Overall: Reflect the current status in typical use, meaning...
1. Current games with the latest patches applied.
2. Latest hardware drivers installed.
3. Settings typical for use with the hardware tested.

"... only using some of the measurements they did earlier and ommitted ones that would strengthen Nvidia..."
I say: Skipped tests that are no longer considered "current", as per point 1. I think the test suite as a whole reflect the current gaming scene quite well.

"... they also changed the settings from earlier in 2 games..."
I say: Adapted settings to better reflect reality, as per point 3.
Even the testers here at [H]OCP don't use the same "best playable" settings now that they did in august with these cards.

Given the amount of tests run having a few that happen to decidedly favour one card or the other don't influence the mean values much. Therefore I don't think the conclusion is skewed.

I think you're Reading too much into the test sets.

Here's my take on it:
Objectives for choice of games and settings:
Overall: Reflect the current status in typical use, meaning...
1. Current games with the latest patches applied.
2. Latest hardware drivers installed.
3. Settings typical for use with the hardware tested.

"... only using some of the measurements they did earlier and ommitted ones that would strengthen Nvidia..."
I say: Skipped tests that are no longer considered "current", as per point 1. I think the test suite as a whole reflect the current gaming scene quite well.

"... they also changed the settings from earlier in 2 games..."
I say: Adapted settings to better reflect reality, as per point 3.
Even the testers here at [H]OCP don't use the same "best playable" settings now that they did in august with these cards.

Given the amount of tests run having a few that happen to decidedly favour one card or the other don't influence the mean values much. Therefore I don't think the conclusion is skewed.
Literally arguing against logic wtf? The [H] never directly compares to old benchmarks using % they always compare to whatever they are testing against at that time. Also the benchmarks here are stated to be based on subjective not objective settings which makes them less comparable to previous results, which is fine as it's clearly states. The linked article fails to use basic science and that can't be argued unless you are one of those anti vaxers and believe fake science too.

What about the latest RX480 review from [H]? The 1060 still destroys the 480.

What about the latest RX480 review from [H]? The 1060 still destroys the 480.
Missed that review. Please link. Last review I saw on the front page was for an Asus RX 480 that got a Gold award when compared to a GTX 1060.

Does anyone notice a pattern here?
When ever PR/benches fail and thus get countered...suddenly a lot of posters appear...with what seems to be a clear agenda:
Pollute the thread, make facts disappear in a clutter of FUD (and perhaps get the thread locked)

I have noticed that their "argumentation" always is very similar, VERY focused on posters, not the post they make.

Try and keep an eye out for it...it's almost feels like some sort of "guerilla-marketing"...this is not the only forum I see this on

Wow, talk about not being able to see that what you just said is exactly what you are doing. Oh well, at least it keeps the thread entertaining.

If you're not interested in VR, pick the one that's cheaper. If you are interested in VR nVidia is your only real choice as per the reviews on this site.

XFX RX 480 GTR edition i own this card and it is very well made.I think it has the best cooler out of all the rx480's

I vividly recall the disappointment from the PC community during the 480's launch week. People were just expecting too much, I guess.
Most of the people expecting too much were the same people that wanted the damn thing to fail. And its pretty easy to call something a disaster if you set false expectations.
About the only truly misleading thing that AMD with the RX4x0 series was the Premium VR ready BS.

Missed that review. Please link. Last review I saw on the front page was for an Asus RX 480 that got a Gold award when compared to a GTX 1060.
However it was a review of the Asus RX 480 and received a Gold as being the best 480 to date and in the right game traded blows with the 1060 or beat it (such as Doom Vulkan), not because it was 'vs' the MSI GTX 1060 that provided a baseline and with both at pretty comparable pricing (may swing a bit depending upon deal at the time).
If it was Vs the MSI 1060 then of course that also would be Gold because not only did it trade blows very well with the Asus but also came in with better power and higher performance per watt.

Cheers

However it was a review of the Asus RX 480 and received a Gold as being the best 480 to date and in the right game traded blows with the 1060 or beat it (such as Doom Vulkan), not because it was 'vs' the MSI GTX 1060 that provided a baseline and with both at pretty comparable pricing (may swing a bit depending upon deal at the time).
If it was Vs the MSI 1060 then of course that also would be Gold because not only did it trade blows very well with the Asus but also came in with better power and higher performance per watt.

Cheers

I stand corrected on this. I did not realize the 1060 was also OC'd, I thought only the 480 was. For the price compared to the 1060 it seems like the best bang for your buck in that regard.

I stand corrected on this. I did not realize the 1060 was also OC'd, I thought only the 480 was. For the price compared to the 1060 it seems like the best bang for your buck in that regard.
Although this is specifically about the recent HardOCP review for the Asus Strix 480.
Those two models are pretty closely matched in pricing, albeit swinging depending upon short term deals.
Remember the context is the Asus Strix 480, with a baseline from the MSI 1060 Gaming X.
As an example Newegg has both at $289, with the Asus 480 having $5 better rebate, yeah can find cheaper if hunting short term deals but that swings both ways.
So bang for the buck possibly is slightly leaning towards the MSI 1060 Gaming X, depending if more interested in certain games though that will swing it back to the Strix 480; but then there are other factors that can be critical to buyers.

Cheers

So if a game developer patches in say DX12 suddenly out of the blue then it is WRONG to test it in a follow up test? If a card's drivers or a game patch alleviates a performance bug then it is wrong to use different settings in a followup test of a game? That's kinda weird don't you think? So what WOULD you be testing in that scenario? It would be disingenuous to run the same settings if something has changed to make the situation better. That's the whole point of showing what was possible then and what is possible now.

Test the updated game with both old and new drivers.

Edit: Looks like I'm a little late to tge discussion.

Most of the people expecting too much were the same people that wanted the damn thing to fail. And its pretty easy to call something a disaster if you set false expectations.
About the only truly misleading thing that AMD with the RX4x0 series was the Premium VR ready BS.

they also screwed up with power consumption ;) that <150 watts slide hard to forget that hehe.

Back