AMD Video Card Shortage

SKiTLz

2[H]4U
Not sure what the situation is like in the states but I can't buy an AMD video card anywhere in Canada right now. 7950, 7970, R9 280x, R9 290x. Everything is out of stock at all the major online retailers.

Anyone know what the hell is going on? Quite frustrating.

Yes sir. i quit mining bitcoins late last year and sold off my 7 radeons before asic devices shipped (YES I AM AN IDIOT) Now I just snagged a 7950, and two R290's!! here comes the money! wooot woot. this time im going to horde my coins like a dragon. cant believe i sold 300 bitcoins for like $6 each :-<

Yes sir. i quit mining bitcoins late last year and sold off my 7 radeons before asic devices shipped (YES I AM AN IDIOT) Now I just snagged a 7950, and two R290's!! here comes the money! wooot woot. this time im going to horde my coins like a dragon. cant believe i sold 300 bitcoins for like $6 each :-<

Ouch, I though I was bad for selling 3 coins for $100 each, I made back the cost of all the hardware and ordered a new ASIC miner with that money.

Wow that's gotta hurt, ehh what's $300.000 anyway ?

Literately, it's almost like Litecoin mining took off right on Black Friday. Was some major change made in the last week of November to popularize it?

Not sure what the situation is like in the states but I can't buy an AMD video card anywhere in Canada right now. 7950, 7970, R9 280x, R9 290x. Everything is out of stock at all the major online retailers.

Anyone know what the hell is going on? Quite frustrating.

The situation is the same here. Talk to a sales rep from Superbiiz, provantage or Newegg. Provantage and Superbiiz say no ETA on deliveries.

When the retailers get a shipment, it's small, perhaps only 10-30 cards. There's going to be a shortage for a while as long as Litecoins are profitable.

I'm getting 4x sapphire 280x cards delivered today. I ordered them last week right before everything sold out.

The situation is the same here. Talk to a sales rep from Superbiiz, provantage or Newegg. Provantage and Superbiiz say no ETA on deliveries.

When the retailers get a shipment, it's small, perhaps only 10-30 cards. There's going to be a shortage for a while as long as Litecoins are profitable.

I'm getting 4x sapphire 280x cards delivered today. I ordered them last week right before everything sold out.

Are you mining as well you greedy bastage! :D

Any point getting a single r9 270x for mining/gaming?

Its a decent step up from my gtx 470 and about the only thing I can find in stock local. I figured I could mine until it pays for itself and then use it for gaming. No clue how long it would take to cover the cost though.

Last edited:
Spoke to some reps as well and there are practically no high end AMD cards left in North America. Allotments are blown out of the water, and at least those retailers I spoke with are scrambling like crazy trying fulfill orders they already have.

Unbelievable!

Are you mining as well you greedy bastage! :D

who me? nah...

oh what's this?

you guys missed the train. Now please go back to your geforce cards and let the difficulty decrease again so I can get more LTC!

And this shortage is helping keep prices high on the Nvidia cards is seems. Amazon took away the games voucher codes yesterday on me, so I had to buy my 780 from the Egg. (codes showed up in cart with them) Amazon CSR said "looks like that offer is not available right now...."

Kid

Shit like this is why I know no matter what I decide to do with my litecoins I will fuck it up.

You assume you can actually sell a bitcoin for real money.

Its really easy to exchange bitcoins for "real" currency. I never had any trouble converting bitcoins into cash.

I started when they were $15 and heading down to about $2.25 and quit when they were back up to $15 under the assumption that video card mining was coming to an end. I always sold the coins as i earned them.

This time, even if it fails -- i am holding long term, i cant tell you how much it burns that I sold bitcoins for $5~ when they are going for $1000 now. If ltc coin reaches $300 ill sell, but not before then. (just want to pay off my wifes student loans so we can be debt free)

Ok, I have a complete noob question, who buys the bit/lite coins off you? Is it possible to use them as actual currency to buy things?
I know absolutely nothing about any of it. I've spotted a few headlines on diff sites, but never took any notice. I'm intrigued now.
Anyone recommend a good blog/read/website to swat up on it and find out wtf its all about?

Ok, I have a complete noob question, who buys the bit/lite coins off you? Is it possible to use them as actual currency to buy things?
I know absolutely nothing about any of it. I've spotted a few headlines on diff sites, but never took any notice. I'm intrigued now.
Anyone recommend a good blog/read/website to swat up on it and find out wtf its all about?

MT. Gox is the largest exchange, but you can use the coins directly to buy things.

One more question (sorry for hijacking thread), is internet speed important for any of this? (I have crappy 4MB down and about 0.4MB up on a good day)
Thanks.

Its really easy to exchange bitcoins for "real" currency. I never had any trouble converting bitcoins into cash.

I started when they were $15 and heading down to about $2.25 and quit when they were back up to $15 under the assumption that video card mining was coming to an end. I always sold the coins as i earned them.

This time, even if it fails -- i am holding long term, i cant tell you how much it burns that I sold bitcoins for $5~ when they are going for $1000 now. If ltc coin reaches $300 ill sell, but not before then. (just want to pay off my wifes student loans so we can be debt free)

I think trying to sell $300,000 worth of BTC/LTC might not be as easy as trying to sell a couple hundred dollars worth. Remember there is an exchange. Someone on the other end has to want to by $300,000 worth of BTC/LTC so you would need an institutional investor with a large bankroll who thinks that BTC/LTC will go higher than $1000/BTC. Virtual currency is the most volatile investment there is right now and I think you would be hard pressed to find someone that wants that many BTCs.

Literately, it's almost like Litecoin mining took off right on Black Friday. Was some major change made in the last week of November to popularize it?

Yeah... Would you believe that my Radeon 7950 sold for close to $400 on ebay on Black Friday? Its like I went to bed Thursday night and the card was at like $50 and woke up Friday to see it over $350. And that's with them selling on newegg for like $175ish all that week. With promo codes and the free BF4 key I got with my Radeon 290, I actually made $9 on the deal to upgrade. LOL.

Where do you guys easily sell bitcoins? I have .8 that I'd like to get rid of, from back when I mined for a few weeks in 2011 (I sold the rest unfortunately for like 25 bucks each)

I think trying to sell $300,000 worth of BTC/LTC might not be as easy as trying to sell a couple hundred dollars worth. Remember there is an exchange. Someone on the other end has to want to by $300,000 worth of BTC/LTC so you would need an institutional investor with a large bankroll who thinks that BTC/LTC will go higher than $1000/BTC. Virtual currency is the most volatile investment there is right now and I think you would be hard pressed to find someone that wants that many BTCs.
Conversely it's probably not that hard to sell 300 x $1000 individually.

There are caps on accounts for fraud protection unless lifted with further documentation but the exchange can be done quite instantaneously. People are buying/selling millions of dollars in BTC daily. I saw a $150K sell order for LTC just this morning. The money is definitely moving and there's a possibility for a quick million doing this.

Its not hard at all. Have you cared to take a look at one of the many exchange feeds? There was a 1500BTC sell earlier today... price unchanged, after the initial dip. Right now you could sell 8k coins on MtGox alone before the price goes below $1000. To be more precise, ~8800 coins, or 9.7M USD.

Newegg has some 280x's for $299 right now - I bought the max of 2 off their site and 5 more off of ebay. Expect them to be OOS shortly... get them while you can!

That's not too far out of whack of some of the ebay prices I've seen. I bet it actually sells.

Now I just snagged a 7950, and two R290's!!
When litecoins bust or become too impractical to mine for you don't sell those. Wait a while for the next *coin to pop up and start mining again. That way you end up saving money in the long run by avoiding the need to shell out "investment" money for new GPU's each time a new *coin pops up.

While you wait for that to happen you can enjoy your sweet CF rig while gaming. Or join the Milkyway distributed comuting program and crunch some work units for a good cause. ;)

Are we going to see an exponential difficulty rise with ltc like happened with btc? Without asics is this possible?

I don't think exponential, no. But it'll definitely increase as people get their rigs up and running!

Are we going to see an exponential difficulty rise with ltc like happened with btc? Without asics is this possible?

As people and companies start building larger and larger mines, it is possible.
Not to the same extent as Bitcoin but Nov 1st-Dec 1st Litecoin difficulty doubled.

Back