AMD Vega Frontier Edition Available for Pre-Order at Newegg

I know this card isn't designed for gaming, but can you acually play games on it?

It seems to be an amd version of a titan type card, so would say so.

Pc per mentioned the following:

Before you pre-order, however, there’s one big caveat. Although AMD touts the card as ideal for “innovators, creators, and pioneers of the world,” the Radeon Vega Frontier Edition will lack application certification, a factor that is crucial to many who work with content creation software and something typically found in high-end professional GPUs like the Quadro and FirePro lines.

For those hoping for Vega-based professional cards sporting certification, the Vega Frontier Edition product page teases the launch of the Vega-powered Radeon Pro WX in Q3 2017.

I have a few customers who use Radeon FirePro cards for solidworks style material engineering and geology simulations. Alot of those programs will ONLY work on Pro series cards, and simply don't even try to run on consumer level cards, even if the horsepower is there. Trust me, there IS a market for these cards, its just a verry specifc one.

I have a few customers who use Radeon FirePro cards for solidworks style material engineering and geology simulations. Alot of those programs will ONLY work on Pro series cards, and simply don't even try to run on consumer level cards, even if the horsepower is there. Trust me, there IS a market for these cards, its just a verry specifc one.

I don't know about other programs, but Solidworks has features that can only be enabled if you have a workstation card.

Or you can get a program called RealHack that unlocks those setting even if you have a normal card. I tried it myself.

Well, the trick here is that Vega FE won't be certified for any workstation work, it will just be capable of using pro drivers.

So WTH? It will be beat by the gaming Vega cards at a much lower cost and is not Certified for (Tested and Approved) any professional program? ? ? At least the Titan are the fastest Gaming card a.k.a Nvidia reference designs. What does AMD mean by Content creators as in more specifically what is done and what software is used?

So WTH? It will be beat by the gaming Vega cards at a much lower cost and is not Certified for (Tested and Approved) any professional program? ? ? At least the Titan are the fastest Gaming card a.k.a Nvidia reference designs. What does AMD mean by Content creators as in more specifically what is done and what software is used?

These are not cheap. They are expensive. The gaming cards will be less.

Well, the trick here is that Vega FE won't be certified for any workstation work, it will just be capable of using pro drivers.

Well, the drivers are ALL that separate the pro cards from the consumer cards. The programs and applications just read what driver type the user has and runs certain features based on that alone. This is why hacking the bios on radeon cards to run pro drovers was such a big deal back in the day.

I ordered a couple. I don't know why. They look pretty cool, brushed aluminum is nice. Maybe I'll do a fallout themed machine... or just sell them on eBay.

Not sure why they would pull the listings, OCUK still has them listed for pre-order.

Not sure why they would pull the listings, OCUK still has them listed for pre-order.
Believe it has something to do with expected arrival of new stock, ie if they have no idea when they're getting more of an item.. it leaves the storefront. That's my theory anyway.

I tried to pre order one (air cooled) in canada, for mining.

no dice

nowhere to be found as of last night.

Are there any specviewperf benchmarks on this?
I was planning on geting 2 aircooled ones.One for maya and the other to aid in gpu rendering in maya.Im also looking at the option for 2x radeon pro duo (polaris ones) for the same job as its cheaper.The frontier edition and new pro duo shoud come out at the same time?

I was waiting for frontier edition, but i am glad i didnt. I picked up a brand new gigabyte 1080 for $439.

Interesting that both these are the same size as a titan x, one of hbm's big talking points was how they could shrink the size of the cards easily as the regular memory interface and masses of traces weren't needed. Suppose its possible that the air-cooled one is that size due to needing to support a blower fan, the third party fury cards for the most part sort of extended the pcb with a framework to support the cooler (except asus and their strix version with a mostly blank pcb). Doesn't explain why the water-cooled one looks to be the same size as the air-cooled one.

Yes we already know this, a pro card with pro drivers against a non pro card with non pro drivers ;)

Technically the pro card with pro drivers to an extent is coming later according to pc per.

Before you pre-order, however, there’s one big caveat. Although AMD touts the card as ideal for “innovators, creators, and pioneers of the world,” the Radeon Vega Frontier Edition will lack application certification, a factor that is crucial to many who work with content creation software and something typically found in high-end professional GPUs like the Quadro and FirePro lines.

For those hoping for Vega-based professional cards sporting certification, the Vega Frontier Edition product page teases the launch of the Vega-powered Radeon Pro WX in Q3 2017.

Just waiting on the gaming versions to drop and bench and im getting 2 to stuff on my hopefully superior performing Threadripper. Gonna run these 2 gpus hard when im sleeping protein folding @ home.

So, 1200$ for the air-cooled version & 1800$ :eek: for the liquid-cooled one? !!!
After all these critical comments about TitanXp's price as a HALO product, i'm waiting to see if there will be similarly critical comments for AMD as well (*we are talking about a product that its liquid-cooled version will be +600$ more expensive than a TITAN :wacky:!! (*i say again, a supposedly HALO & overpriced GPU!! )

So, 1200$ for the air-cooled version & 1800$ :eek: for the liquid-cooled one? !!!
After all these critical comments about TitanXp's price as a HALO product, i'm waiting to see if there will be similarly critical comments for AMD as well (*we are talking about a product that its liquid-cooled version will be +600$ more expensive than a TITAN :wacky:!! (*i say again, a supposedly HALO & overpriced GPU!! )

Workstation/Pro cards tend to be more expensive because of validation and the realization that people buying cards of this caliber are supposedly making money with them instead of boasting about e-peen in regard to FPS or how much detail you can see in your games now. My company didn't even blink twice when I had a K5000 installed in a Xeon workstation because the GPU was so much more efficient at rendering Camtasia screencasts than the CPU contained therein. These cards are a bit less expensive than the K5000 was when it was purchased, so I don't really see the pricing issue here.

Workstation/Pro cards tend to be more expensive because of validation and the realization that people buying cards of this caliber are supposedly making money with them instead of boasting about e-peen in regard to FPS or how much detail you can see in your games now. My company didn't even blink twice when I had a K5000 installed in a Xeon workstation because the GPU was so much more efficient at rendering Camtasia screencasts than the CPU contained therein. These cards are a bit less expensive than the K5000 was when it was purchased, so I don't really see the pricing issue here.

ROFL

But Vega FE is not a workstation card. Besides it loses to similarly priced Quadros.

Except if you look at the release articles, you'll see there's no application validation list. This is a Titan-quality release, not a Quadro/FirePro. So yeah, the liquid-cooled model is a little overpriced for the segment.

Wasn't the original titan somwhat of a pro card?

Are you just trolling?.....looses where?

That was nV's reasoning for the pricing (bad excuse on their part), but Titan series never had any optimizations for professional software.

That was nV's reasoning for the pricing (bad excuse on their part), but Titan series never had any optimizations for professional software.

Kepler Titan had full-unlocked FP64 (discount developer's edition). But it was up to you to provide the software, since you didn't get the pro-optimized drivers.

But every subsequent Titan has just been a gaming halo card.

Even the Pascal Titan doesn't have double the ram of it's Ti counterpart (like previous Titans). There's so little difference between PTitan and 1080Ti it's amazing the cards sold at all.

Last edited:
Back