AMD Vega Frontier Edition Available for Pre-Order at Newegg

The question is can it game well too? I guess AMD will just wait and let the reviewers spill the beans on gaming performance or lack there of for the price. I am sure it will game well except maybe not as well as a cheaper 1080Ti.

Don't get me wrong I' excited about these but...well, first of all they're on "auto notify" now for me, so I can't see the prices. If they're really $1200 for Air and $1800 for liquid that seems like an insane jump from one to the other for...what kind of actual performance gains? I don't suppose with a card like this there will be non-reference designs and whatnot hm? Though even if not, I can still imagine there will be water-blocks made for them which you could stick onto an AIO GPU style loop for less than the bloody $600 it would take to go from one to the other. Hell, for less than $600 you could probably buy an aftermarket EKWB or similar block and set up an entire loop just to cool the thing better than whatever integrated, single-rad AIO they're using on it?

I've been waiting for Vega for ages and I just can't see the place for this card, however. So its not the "real" Pro card, its not the gaming card, its ...somewhere in between kind of like a Titan? Okay. However, if the projection that it is basically similar in performance to a 1080 Ti is spot on, then the price is way too much for a faux-pro card? How does it stack up to the current Titan even? I didn't think there was even much focus on the NV Pascal Titan currently because of how close the 1080 Ti is in just about every way. If the point of this thing is simply an ultra high "Founder's Edition" price for gamers, that doesn't make sense either the way it is marketed to professionals etc.

So what will be the difference between this Frontier Edition and the "gaming high-end Vega"? If they cut down the RAM from 16gb to 12gb then they loose the only real benefit they have over Nvidia don't they? If the performance doesn't absolutely wipe the floor with the 1080 Ti , coming in anywhere from the 1080 to the 1080 Ti,, then they'll have to sell it for less than $500 (maybe even $450) to really pick up a lot of users I'd figure. However, won't the question be regarding power consumption differences between Titan Pascal / 1080 Ti and Vega? I see that the NV Pascal cards mention 250w and by default require 8 pin + 6 pin connectors to PSU (though I see some non-reference designs make it 8 + 8 like the better cards from EVGA and Asus ). Vega Frontier seems to be 300w for air, 375w for the water-cooled version? What are you getting for that additional power consumption? When it comes to cards like the 1070 / 1070 versus AMD RX a little more power draw on still very efficient cards is okay, especially regarding price and performance, but these are $1200+ cards right - so maybe people won't care about power draw (except possibly miners) but it has to be for a purpose. I'm just not sure what these Frontier Editions are set out to do

I guess we wont' know for sure until we see the benchmarks for gaming, mining and whatnot, but I'm not sure what can justify the price of these Frontier Edition cards. For that matter, I'm unsure of how the more "common gaming" Vega options will perform for gaming/mining versus existing NV gaming cards. I've been waiting for Vega for a long time and I'm glad its coming closer. I really, really want to support AMD for a number of reasons including their ideals regarding openness (source, spec etc), FreeSync (2), the way they seem to get better over time and also thrive when mining/ GPGPU use, etc... when Nvidia seems to do the opposite. Having Vega provide some high end competition will be great, but I'm worried they're dragging their feet - why don't they release the gaming cards sooner etc , as well as how they'll stack up to NV on both price and performance. AMD has been doing so well with Ryzen and I look forward to Threadripper (which may power my next either main gaming rig or server), but after waiting for ages for Vega seeing hugely expensive "Not even really pro" cards coming out of the gate first is worrisome unless they really prove to dazzle.

Workstation/Pro cards tend to be more expensive because of validation and the realization that people buying cards of this caliber are supposedly making money with them instead of boasting about e-peen in regard to FPS or how much detail you can see in your games now. My company didn't even blink twice when I had a K5000 installed in a Xeon workstation because the GPU was so much more efficient at rendering Camtasia screencasts than the CPU contained therein. These cards are a bit less expensive than the K5000 was when it was purchased, so I don't really see the pricing issue here.

Yeah, maybe this card theoretically aims for professional purposes, but if you look at the link that SighTurtle posted at #64 , you'll witness that it was AMD themselves that compared this "professional" card with Titan Xp at gaming !!. So since they compare these 2 GPUs however it suits them, then i can also compare these 2 GPUs at another area which is pricing.
AMD chooses to compare these 2 GPUs on certain games, and you want me to believe that this card aims only for proffesional market? One more time AMD proves that is the master of HYPE !!!
My estimation is that because the gaming VEGA will use only 8GB HBM2 RAM ( https://www.techpowerup.com/234662/...n-compute-formidable-game-performance-preview ), apparently in order to cut-down the cost, one more time, AMD is trying to create HYPE, by using their "professional" card with the 16 GB HBM2 RAM against the Titan Xp at gaming !!!!
I've learned my lesson all too well from AMD in the past (* FuryX period ), and since then i won't bite the bait one more time!!

I really, really hope that the Vega "gaming" card is at very least 12gb/RAM NOT only 8gb. I'll really be pissed at AMD if there isn't at least an option for 12GB , if they're not going to put 16GB on the gaming Vega as well. They HAD to know that falling behind on the amount of RAM is what dropped FuryX etc.. on its face! No, simply being HBM or working faster etc.. is simply not good enough ; we saw that with Fury! Unless this is basically a $350-400 card meant to one-up the 1070 and 1080 (and even that would be a significant letdown after all this time and the capability to offer more RAM ), not at all meant seriously fight with the 1080 Ti performance etc.. then that's a faceplant. Nvidia could simply do as they've done in the past and basically encourage developers to use more VRAM - which is already a trend - when it comes to gaming. These days just about every title (especially Nvidia friendly ones) have a "VRAM bar" on the options screen showing how close you're getting to filling up your VRAM by enabling all the eye candy features and whatnot. Knowing this, AMD having a stroke and putting the same amount of RAM on their long awaited ultra high end card as their RX 580 (or 480) has, I can't begin to understand.

As we work towards 4K gaming and whatnot the VRAM needs escalate significantly so I thought AMD would learn from the Fury / X cards and not make the same mistake again. All the discussion of Vega mostly talked about 16GB of HBM2 which would have finally put AMD ahead (for a little while at least) on that front and be a real punch to Nvidia going into Volta. I really don't want to see another missstep from AMD and a promise they'll 'get it right the next time". If they want to offer both options for gaming Vega with 8gb AND 16GB (ideally 16, but I'd even take 12 if they don't want to step on the Frontier's toes - foolish as that might be) that's one thing, but if its a 8GB alone... massive disappointment.

These Frontier cards are just AMD's attempt at selling a Titan. Don't see why everyone is so upset about it, people are clearly buying them too (myself included). Let's wait and see how the cards perform perhaps? lol

how is that worse that Nvidia wanting a 500W PSU for a 1060 3gb? or their request for a 300 W PSU for the 35 watt and under 1030. I mean really, we all know it's a pig and an 850W PSU isn't exactly rare anyhow.
PSU recommendation for the Geforce GTX 1080 Ti and the Titan X is only 600W.

PSU recommendation for the Geforce GTX 1060 is 400W.

PSU recommendation for the Geforce GTX 1050 Ti is 300W.

These Frontier cards are just AMD's attempt at selling a Titan. Don't see why everyone is so upset about it, people are clearly buying them too (myself included). Let's wait and see how the cards perform perhaps? lol

Seriously. Lots of big talk from people who probably can't even afford the damn card to test it for themselves.

Nothing wrong with a company creating a product to compete with their competitor's top of the line product. We won't know until it comes out.

I plan on stress testing it with Solitaire, Paint, and Text Editor. Will post results when available.

PSU recommendation for the Geforce GTX 1080 Ti and the Titan X is only 600W.

PSU recommendation for the Geforce GTX 1060 is 400W.

PSU recommendation for the Geforce GTX 1050 Ti is 300W.

You're right about 400W on the 1060 being Nvidias default suggestion for normal cards. But that makes no difference to my point.

My point being, the recommended sizes are utterly pointless and take nothing else into account except some random average scenario. It's not at all a good indication of anything.

But we know (are assuming) this card is going to suck power like nothing we've seen for quite some time, the recommended PSU isn't even a factor in figuring that out.

Seriously. Lots of big talk from people who probably can't even afford the damn card to test it for themselves.

Nothing wrong with a company creating a product to compete with their competitor's top of the line product. We won't know until it comes out.

I plan on stress testing it with Solitaire, Paint, and Text Editor. Will post results when available.

Remember frame times are key with paint. I need that silky smooth.

Not sure why someone would buy this card over the Vega gaming card. Sick of waiting I guess?

Remember frame times are key with paint. I need that silky smooth.

Not sure why someone would buy this card over the Vega gaming card. Sick of waiting I guess?

Yes, I built two Ryzen machines recently and I've been waiting forever for Vega. My high end build is powered by a $30 Geforce card. I got so sick of waiting so I just bought a damn Frontier Edition for the hell of it.

Yes, though I seriously doubt it would be much of an upgrade to Quadfire Radeon Pro Duos I know the idiot miners will make it hard to buy any after preorders close.

2 card SLI/crossfire can be rough. Reviews have shown quad cards on either team causes worse playability than two cards, even one card. But to each their own I suppose!

I really, really hope that the Vega "gaming" card is at very least 12gb/RAM NOT only 8gb. I'll really be pissed at AMD if there isn't at least an option for 12GB , if they're not going to put 16GB on the gaming Vega as well. They HAD to know that falling behind on the amount of RAM is what dropped FuryX etc.. on its face! No, simply being HBM or working faster etc.. is simply not good enough ; we saw that with Fury! Unless this is basically a $350-400 card meant to one-up the 1070 and 1080 (and even that would be a significant letdown after all this time and the capability to offer more RAM ), not at all meant seriously fight with the 1080 Ti performance etc.. then that's a faceplant. Nvidia could simply do as they've done in the past and basically encourage developers to use more VRAM - which is already a trend - when it comes to gaming. These days just about every title (especially Nvidia friendly ones) have a "VRAM bar" on the options screen showing how close you're getting to filling up your VRAM by enabling all the eye candy features and whatnot. Knowing this, AMD having a stroke and putting the same amount of RAM on their long awaited ultra high end card as their RX 580 (or 480) has, I can't begin to understand.

As we work towards 4K gaming and whatnot the VRAM needs escalate significantly so I thought AMD would learn from the Fury / X cards and not make the same mistake again. All the discussion of Vega mostly talked about 16GB of HBM2 which would have finally put AMD ahead (for a little while at least) on that front and be a real punch to Nvidia going into Volta. I really don't want to see another missstep from AMD and a promise they'll 'get it right the next time". If they want to offer both options for gaming Vega with 8gb AND 16GB (ideally 16, but I'd even take 12 if they don't want to step on the Frontier's toes - foolish as that might be) that's one thing, but if its a 8GB alone... massive disappointment.

8gb would be fine for ....anything up to 4k for the next few years. By the time that's the bottleneck - the processing power will be too.

Looks like they're available again, this time for $999.

I spoke with a Newegg rep and anyone that pre-ordered it for the higher price will actually be charged the $999 price.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...4105073&cm_re=amd_vega-_-14-105-073-_-Product

that's not as bad... I almost wonder if I should just get the FE because I could sell my Fury for a high price right now due the mining craze. resale value might go down a lot by the time consumer vega is released. Need to see some benchmarks first though.

Last edited:
contemplating ONE FOR MINING IN CANADA

the price went UP from 1299 (back order unobtainium)
to 1599 for the AIR COOLED VERSION.

http://www.ncix.com/search/?qcatid=0&q=frontier

just like the pro duo, they did not make enough. i fucking guarantee it.

i searched the pro duo and there was NO availability upon release as well.

contemplating ONE FOR MINING IN CANADA

the price went UP from 1299 (back order unobtainium)
to 1599 for the AIR COOLED VERSION.

You can buy a lot of 1060' for that cash ... 3 gigs are still 269 canuck bucks if you know where they are.

yeah i just bought 3 1070s..

edit: i wanted to hopefully have a gaming card after all of this mining hobby stuff.

yeah i just bought 3 1070s..

edit: i wanted to hopefully have a gaming card after all of this mining hobby stuff.

Meh, 1080's and Ti's are around in abundance and aren't the most mining friendly cards. They aren't seeing as much movement and they'll be around later too.

Meh, 1080's and Ti's are around in abundance and aren't the most mining friendly cards. They aren't seeing as much movement and they'll be around later too.
I think 1080ti has legs.

You can run them at 50% TDP and still get some really nice hash rates from what I've read. A single 1080p was earning 75 or 80% of my pair of Fury X in mining with nicehash.

I think 1080ti has legs.

You can run them at 50% TDP and still get some really nice hash rates from what I've read. A single 1080p was earning 75 or 80% of my pair of Fury X in mining with nicehash.

You can, depends on the algo and how often you jump around your mining efforts to different coins and algos.

Come to think of it.....I cant remember an AMD branded card before. Im used to xfx state of the art warranty...1k dollars is a lot to be out of if it fails. And im partial to the 1 week rma turn around times! Is RMA support worth a shit with these?

Come to think of it.....I cant remember an AMD branded card before. Im used to xfx state of the art warranty...1k dollars is a lot to be out of if it fails. And im partial to the 1 week rma turn around times! Is RMA support worth a shit with these?

They are made by Sapphire the primary board partner normally.

The first benchmarks are starting to appear, and here is the benchmarks that Ryan Shrout from @pcper has conducted:
These first benchmarks show the Frontier Edition struggling to reach the GTX1080, and far behind than GTX1080 Ti !!

Thanks. So this is not a consumer gaming card I reckon because for 1200 bucks I am pretty sure people can find better deals.
Have been out of the loop so don't know what this card is about at all.

Think of it as an AMD's equivalent for NV's Titan.
A Halo and expensive card that can be used for gaming and some lesser professional purposes as well (* not Quadro and Radeon Pro level that is.... check pcper's comment here: https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graph...B-Air-Cooled-Review/Answering-Questions-you-A )
To put it as simple as i can, at the 30th of July, AMD will launch its GTX1080Ti equivalent as well (*RX VEGA, but so far the news are so discouraging that personally i believe that it will be an GTX1080 -and not a GTX1080Ti- equivalent )

Back