AMD Vega and Zen Gaming System Rocks Doom At 4K Ultra Settings

Nope depends on the level, the gtx 1080 can go above 60 fps on AVERAGE on some levels in Doom in Ultra preset and with nightmare settings.

Please look at reviews, this has been shown.

Nothing AMD has shown so far with Vega is conclusive, in this regard.

really, I just gave you the proof that it runs between 40 and 55 fps, most of the time it was below 50 fps and that was a 1080OC. Remember, we are talking 4k, not 1440p or 1080p

-It is well known that DOOM's "Vulcan" API is the only API so far that clearly favours AMD's GPUs. (*DX12 benchmarks is game-depended so far)
-So the fact that AMD chose to demonstrate VEGA using the only API that clearly favours them, combining with the fact that its performance was between 1080GTX & TitanX Pascal, is discouraging news for AMD in my opinion.
Their new and so long delayed GPU, manages to surpass 1080GTX at the only API that favours them!!
( Not something i would praise about, but on the other hand, creating hype for no reason is something that doesn't surprise me considering it's standard AMD's policy for long time now .....:rolleyes: )

Someone on OCN noted that it was being called Flagship Vega. Meaning that's the best Vega we're going to get.

GTX1080 OC runs ~45fp to 60fps @ 4k where a Vega prototype just ran 60-75fps. That is one hell of a Potato.

GTX1080, even @ stock runs quite a bit faster than that. Vega will likely fall between 1070 and 1080.

DOOM 1080 VULKAN.png

AMD needs to demonstrate a commitment to something other than mediocrity for me to even consider handing them cash anymore. I'll stick with Nvidia's offerings because they are on-the-ball when it comes to driver updates, but I'm not a hater, I hope Vega turns out to be an AMD comeback. They just gotta prove more to me than delivering a hot part after years of "meh".....

-It is well known that DOOM's "Vulcan" API is the only API so far that clearly favours AMD's GPUs. (*DX12 benchmarks is game-depended so far)
-So the fact that AMD chose to demonstrate VEGA using the only API that clearly favours them, combining with the fact that its performance was between 1080GTX & TitanX Pascal, is discouraging news for AMD in my opinion.
Their new and so long delayed GPU, manages to surpass 1080GTX at the only API that favours them!!
( Not something i would praise about, but on the other hand, creating hype for no reason is something that doesn't surprise me considering it's standard AMD's policy for long time now .....:rolleyes: )

It also Favors them in DX12, not just Vulkan. You are just trying to come up with excuses because beat the 1080 by about 20% to 25% at 4k (40 to 55 fps (GTX1080OC vs 60 to 75 fps (VEGA)) That is not just because of the API they used.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
If I had to guess, I would say that the RTG group is focusing full on servers too now. Vega 20 for example is Vega 10 on 7nm + DP. Same 4096SP and GFX9.

Looking forward to going back to AMD and ATI. I have felt dirty running a geforce intel combo for way way to long. lol

GTX1080 OC runs ~45fp to 60fps @ 4k where a Vega prototype just ran 60-75fps. That is one hell of a Potato.

This. I find it interesting that fanboys have to find a way to say it's not that significant. When it's beating a GTX1080 by that kind of margin, it IS significant, regardless of whether or not it's DOOM. If this is what AMD launches, we should all be happy that there's finally going to be some competition at the high end.

My potatoe destroys the game

mehh 2x XFX 290x DD crossfire on a 5760x2160 display with everything set to nightmare (vulkan api)
I usually run 30fps

at 2380x1080 ish (2:1 aspect) good 60 fps (where i frame limit it at)

I would expect this new chip to hold it a a solid 120 fps at 4k.

Note: I doubt they had nightmare set because you need 8Gbi of video memory
Note: Set the gpu display to nightmare then we could see some useful information.

1) Your dual 290X set up sucks far more power and kicks out far more heat.
2) They did have 8GB.

AMD doesn't need to beat a 1080Ti as long as it's priced appropriately. If they have 1080 performance at 1070 $$$ then I'll buy. If it's the same performance for same price I'll just stick with Nvidia.

Well it does look good so far with Doom, but I wouldn't count on that with other games till I see it. Doom is relatively well optimized across all cards now, if it couldn't do that then AMD would have a big problem, what we need to see is how far it can beat a 1080 with an Unreal Engine game and a Unity engine game simply because a good amount of games use those two engines. We also need to see if they fixed their VR problem cause let's face it they are getting killed in VR performance and for me that is the #1 thing they need to improve for any chance of me buying their products.

Someone on OCN noted that it was being called Flagship Vega. Meaning that's the best Vega we're going to get.
Would make sense as that would be similar to what Nvidia did with the GP102.
The full core is only available in the professional market as Tesla/Quadro while Titan Pascal is a cut-down model.
I expected AMD to follow the same route if it went with a big die (which they have), meaning I would expect the full core Vega only to be a professional part.

Cheers

AMD doesn't need to beat a 1080Ti as long as it's priced appropriately. If they have 1080 performance at 1070 $$$ then I'll buy. If it's the same performance for same price I'll just stick with Nvidia.

I expect Nvidia will just lower their prices to match.

I'm not buying any of AMDs marketing fluff. Been burned too many times by them. Release the cards, then I'll pay attention. Until then, it's all FUD.

sigh, why do they always run games and show off fps? I want to see some benchmarks compared to other graphic cards.

Why are you on a website that benchmarks the exact same way you just saw, they play the actual game here and measure performance not run benchmarks

Why are you on a website that benchmarks the exact same way you just saw, they play the actual game here and measure performance not run benchmarks
they run the same settings on the same platform.

I can't tell that from the video/screen shots provided.

Wow, tough crowd here. No one knows anything about clock speeds or drivers for Vega, but you're all quick to say it will "fall between 1070 and 1080" or it can't compete against the 1080. ROFLMAO...

Wow, tough crowd here. No one knows anything about clock speeds or drivers for Vega, but you're all quick to say it will "fall between 1070 and 1080" or it can't compete against the 1080. ROFLMAO...
We all know the quality of the drivers for ati. They have a long, repeatable history of delivering crap drivers. That's not going to change with Vega. I just hope it beats the 1080 to get some real competition both in performance and price. Nvidia needs to be taken down a peg and get competitive again.

Well you do have some people here thinks it perform 20% better than 1080. Personally I would rather wait for official reviews to see where the performance falls.

We all know the quality of the drivers for ati. They have a long, repeatable history of delivering crap drivers. That's not going to change with Vega. I just hope it beats the 1080 to get some real competition both in performance and price. Nvidia needs to be taken down a peg and get competitive again.

You apparently haven't used an AMD card in a long time. I have an RX 480 since about 2 months after launch and I have not had any driver related issues. They are also putting out new drivers quite frequently and being pretty responsive to fixing bugs.

You apparently haven't used an AMD card in a long time. I have an RX 480 since about 2 months after launch and I have not had any driver related issues. They are also putting out new drivers quite frequently and being pretty responsive to fixing bugs.

It's quite apparent where is bias is if he thinks AMD cards have driver issues now. He even referred to them as "ATI". :)

As someone who had ATI cards for about a decade I really don't know where this generalization comes from. I know that they didn't always release the most optimized drivers (which meant downloading custom drivers for individual games from third-parties) and sometimes WHQL drivers were rather few and far in between (but honestly who gives a fuck about WHQL drivers when you're downloading drivers from a hobbyist for better game performance) but I don't recall ever getting a driver that impaired the operation of the card.

Per Kyle in another thread, AMD has promised him a Ryzen chip. After the scathing review the Bulldozer got here AMD must feel very confident in Ryzen at this point. The other comment he had was a smiley-faced reply about Vega sourcing to [H]. If it was a tongue-in-cheek jab at [H] I have serious reservations. If it was a truthful we may source you cards then RTG must be feeling confident it will get a fair shake here.

[H]ard prophet here. Here is my prophecy:

Nvidia already has a card that can match this performance. It's called the Titan X. The same f***king thing happened last time when everyone was jerking off over the GTX 980 and how amazing it was and how AMD MIGHT beat it with Fiji, but nobody freaking opened their eyes and realised that the Titan class cards ALWAYS get rebranded as a Ti. As soon as the 980Ti came out, nobody gave two sh**ts about the 980, and the FURYX could not compete with the rebranded Titan X AKA the 980Ti.

People are going so crazy about Vega MAYBE beating the 1080, when in truth, as soon as the Pascal TitanX is rebranded as the 1080Ti, nobody will give two sh**ts about wether AMD is faster than the old and busted 1080.

The question we need to ask is "Can Vega beat the Pascal Titan X?"

The lord has spoken. Amen.

Also Volta is supposed to hit 2017... not like nVidia is standing still.

I'm talking from experience for many years of using a 5850 until last year where i upgraded it to a 770.
Control center would freeze up, games would just crash to desktop, performance would be all sorts of iffy.
I even experimented with 3rd party modified drivers for the 5850.

Guess how many times my 770 has done any of those things? Never.
Maybe it's just anecdotal evidence to you, but it's from my own experience.

You better believe AMD has some 1080's they are benching against Vega and trying everything to get a win.

The lord has spoken. Amen.

Also Volta is supposed to hit 2017... not like nVidia is standing still.

I'm betting Volta is pushed back to 2018.

You better believe AMD has some 1080's they are benching against Vega and trying everything to get a win.

I'm betting Volta is pushed back to 2018.
That would be amazing considering they are sampling Xavier (the Volta Tegra) either very late Q3/Q4 2017 :)
Look to see how long it had taken for Pascal Drive PX2 to get into sampling with automobile manufacturers before some of the Pascal dGPU launched.
You also forget the contractual obligations for two super massive scale supercomputers they need to start building this year (before Q3) with the actual V100.
Ask yourself why did Nvidia surprise everyone and did an unusual strategy and launched a 610mm2 die 1st with the P100 that also had the challenge of being a node shrink and with HBM2 tech compounded by no previous Nvidia manufacturing experience, then followed it up shortly after with the 1080/1070.
Because they are have a specific cycle and commitments for both Volta Tesla and Volta Tegra (Xavier), and some consumer dGPU fit perfectly into that launch cycle.

Cheers

Last edited:
That would be amazing considering they are sampling Xavier (the Volta Tegra) either very late Q3/Q4 2017 :)
Look to see how long it had taken for Pascal Drive PX2 to get into sampling with automobile manufacturers before some of the Pascal dGPU launched.
You also forget the contractual obligations for two super massive scale supercomputers they need to start building this year (before Q3) with the actual V100.
Ask yourself why did Nvidia surprise everyone and did an unusual strategy and launched a 610mm2 die 1st with the P100 that also had the challenge of being a node shrink and with HBM2 tech compounded by no previous Nvidia manufacturing experience, then followed it up shortly after with the 1080/1070.
Because they are have a specific cycle and commitments for both Volta Tesla and Volta Tegra (Xavier), and some consumer dGPU fit perfectly into that launch cycle.

Cheers
What are you trying to say?

bullshat. Single gpu drivers over past year have been better on AMDs side. For the most part both are equal, NVidia just seems to be having issues with win10.

I'm talking from experience for many years of using a 5850 until last year where i upgraded it to a 770.
Control center would freeze up, games would just crash to desktop, performance would be all sorts of iffy.
I even experimented with 3rd party modified drivers for the 5850.

Guess how many times my 770 has done any of those things? Never.
Maybe it's just anecdotal evidence to you, but it's from my own experience.
so you couldnt get your card to work with amd or unofficial drivers?! then I think the problem with your system not the drivers probably the card. amd drivers have been fine for ages and if you had used them on anything other than that old ass 5850 you would know that.

I believe Volta is already in Nvidia APU for AI for cars. I don't expect Volta graphics cards until 2018. Pascal is a huge success and will probably remain that way the rest of 2017. Nvidia has many options for the high end, mid and low as well as price reductions that AMD would probably have a very hard time matching. I do expect Nvidia to start reducing prices after Vega starts being readily available and if very competitive. That is maybe 3 - 6 months from now.

As for AMD drivers - they are currently GREAT! They make Nvidia drivers look second class, has better profiling ability with clock speeds and gpu configuration, better multi-monitor support, video recording. Of course VR is not as good. Nvidia drivers GF experience sucks and is a nuisance. While both have pro's and con's I just think AMD has a more professional and usable interface with some very good useful options.

I believe Volta is already in Nvidia APU for AI for cars. I don't expect Volta graphics cards until 2018. Pascal is a huge success and will probably remain that way the rest of 2017. Nvidia has many options for the high end, mid and low as well as price reductions that AMD would probably have a very hard time matching. I do expect Nvidia to start reducing prices after Vega starts being readily available and if very competitive. That is maybe 3 - 6 months from now.
It is actually Pascal in the Drive PX2, that went into sampling with manufacturers late last year.

BTW it is Nvidia who actually stated the sampling status of Xavier (it replaces the Pascal Drive PX2) is Q3/Q4 this year, they announced this late last year...
Originally they stated Q4 last year, but CES this year it looks like it could be moved forward a little bit or still Q4.
IF the V100 comes out next year they would be seriously penalised for their obligations; remember Pascal was brought in as a stepping stone to Volta.
The rumour of 2018 was because some kept thinking it would be 10nm, it never was meant to be and baffling how that rumour went out of control with various sites.

Look at the history of the product cycles.
The Tegra comes out after a few of the professional-consumer dGPUs.
And then there are the considerations I raised in my earlier post.
Cheers

Last edited:
bullshat. Single gpu drivers over past year have been better on AMDs side. For the most part both are equal, NVidia just seems to be having issues with win10.
Other than the awful VR performance... AMD drivers have been nothing short of excellent in the past year, especially single GPU.

so you couldnt get your card to work with amd or unofficial drivers?! then I think the problem with your system not the drivers probably the card. amd drivers have been fine for ages and if you had used them on anything other than that old ass 5850 you would know that.
There was no problem with my system. I'm still using it to this day. A nice old 930 on a x58 setup.
It was an old ass 5850, an upgrade from my geforce 3.
Maybe ati/amd learned how to make stable drivers in the last 3 years, who knows. I certainly don't since i haven't played around with them lately.

It is actually Pascal in the Drive PX2, that went into sampling with manufacturers late last year.

BTW it is Nvidia who actually stated the sampling status of Xavier (it replaces the Pascal Drive PX2) is Q3/Q4 this year, they announced this late last year...
Originally they stated Q4 last year, but CES this year it looks like it could be moved forward a little bit or still Q4.
IF the V100 comes out next year they would be seriously penalised for their obligations; remember Pascal was brought in as a stepping stone to Volta.
The rumour of 2018 was because some kept thinking it would be 10nm, it never was meant to be and baffling how that rumour went out of control with various sites.

Look at the history of the product cycles.
The Tegra comes out after a few of the professional-consumer dGPUs.
Cheers
I may have misheard Jen-Hsun Huang presentation at CES. Now I would like to see how well PX2 does in New York city with 100's if not 1000's of pedestrians and yellow cab drivers plowing the roads up :LOL:. The samples shown in the video's with the self driving cars was some what funny compared to real complex driving. I would like to see what these cars can do when other cars run into them, cut right in front and brake - ice roads etc. Not to mention a collision - will they drive off afterwards?

I think it was pretty clear.
It is not going to be 2018 but 2017 for a couple of the consumer dGPU for the facts I explained.
Cheers

It wasn't clear to me. Your sentence structure and wording is confusing at times. However, I'm betting the farm Volta CONSUMER is 2018 (per Nvidias own slides) and a 1080ti sometime this year. 2017 will be a pascal refresh party.

Back