AMD upgrade suggestions from an RX 570?

ibex333

[H]ard|Gawd
Currently, I am running a dual RX 570 Crossfire. For games that don't support crossfire or just require a beefier card, I am OK with playing at 1080p, and I'm not even in any hurry to go higher. However, I do have a 1440p monitor also, and should an amazing deal come up for a Vega 64 or a 5700XT I could possibly upgrade.

I am wondering if my CPU, (in sig) would be a bottleneck in any way, and if so, I don't want to get a better card than my system can handle, since I do not wish to upgrade my CPU any time soon.

I am mostly looking for excellent performance @ 1440p for RTS, like Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War, Starcraft 2, Company of Heroes 2 and RPGs like Greedfall and such. I am aware that most of these dont need that much power, but Company of Heroes 2 definitely does, as I cant get anywhere near even a constant 50fps with dips into 29fps being common.

I also play an occasional story driven FPS like Metro Exodus(huge system hog) but stay away fro anything PvP oriented like Overwatch of PUBG. Metro Exodus completely murdered my system and I was struggling to keep any sort of descent FPS.

What would you get AMD wise, if you were in my shoes?

there's not much of a choice on the AMD camp. I guess your best bet would be a regular RX5700. Or you can wait on what the RX5300 brings to the table.

I doubt a 1700 @ 4Ghz will be much of a bottleneck at the resolution you game at. At 1080, yes it would be, but probably not at 1440.

If you can afford it, a 5700XT would be a big upgrade from what you have. Vega 64 would be a credible upgrade too and they can be found used for under $300 now. Like Stoly said theres not many AMD options faster than what you have...

Some games like Warhammer is heavily single threaded and your CPU might bottle neck you a bit.

If it’s a choice between a CPU and GPU, the GPU will definitely be the better choice. Like Kate said in most games at 1440p you’d be fine.

I would flash your board for gen 3 and grab a 3600 first and then a non ref RX 5700 is about the same as CX 570's as that way you have that level of performance without the need of CX profile for that game . I run CX 570's and if clock them to 1300/2000 like RX 580 then they hit around 25000 gpu score in FS so there is not a lot out there hitting that number for AMD on single side of things now my RX 5700 ref does right around 24000 gpu score to give you an idea of performance .

Or grab video card first with the end goal of upgrading that cpu and keeping your board which gives the 1700x value as it's needed to flash anyways .

For 60Hz the CPU is probably fine, for high refresh a 3600 could be a good upgrade.

5700 XT would be a decent upgrade for when CF doesn't work, even 5700 is not horrible (w/ BIOS mod if you're feeling sassy).

I ran Vega 64 CF (actually 480 CF before that) and it wasn't until I got a single Radeon VII that I realized it was choppy the whole time (probably microstutter).

Don't trust the FPS score, the real world experience on Crossfire is not good, you'll probably see a big improvement with Navi (even with lower FPS).

Just wait a bit and you will have much more from AMD, 5800 I think mid next month and the 5900 in early 2020.
Personally, I will wait for the Navi 20 implementation with RT. Not sure when this will arrive but it will be prob. mid to late 2020 as it will be in the new consoles the holidays next year.

The vanilla reference 5700 is a steal on the used market, throw on GN's washer mod and download the Igor's Lab powerplay table OC app (both are basically free) and you're at 99% of what a 5700xt Anniversary Edition brings to the table.

No need for BIOS mods.

thanks so much for the input. lots of options for me...

I have an older case (2005 - 6 ) that i been redoing because it's air brushed in green flames .. so far i dropped a 470x with a 3700x in it but i need a card from AMD that's the size of an RX 570 with the power of a RX 5700 or cut some to get my ref RX 5700 in it as it's to dam long .. lol

I have an older case (2005 - 6 ) that i been redoing because it's air brushed in green flames .. so far i dropped a 470x with a 3700x in it but i need a card from AMD that's the size of an RX 570 with the power of a RX 5700 or cut some to get my ref RX 5700 in it as it's to dam long .. lol

One of the short PCB Vega 56 cards like Pulse or Red Dragon rigged to an AIO would be cool

One of the short PCB Vega 56 cards like Pulse or Red Dragon rigged to an AIO would be cool
minimum should get a Vega 64 if he wants performance on par witht he RX 5700, If he doesnt mind slighly lower performance then a Vega 56 is fine

minimum should get a Vega 64 if he wants performance on par witht he RX 5700, If he doesnt mind slighly lower performance then a Vega 56 is fine

or he could flash a V64 BIOS onto the 54 (it's fairly "routine" now) and with watercooling he could OC it to the limit of the silicon and have 99% of a Vega 64 (actually way more than a stock V64).

Agree with waiting for AMD's next releases (soonish)
/that's what I'm doing
//have RX 580

I got a PCI Express riser mount and moved my now flashed XFX RX 5700 over as it was my first custom case and it's wanting to rust already lol .

or he could flash a V64 BIOS onto the 54 (it's fairly "routine" now) and with watercooling he could OC it to the limit of the silicon and have 99% of a Vega 64 (actually way more than a stock V64).
that doesnt unlock shaders just increases the voltage limit and the HBM clock speed OC on certain memory

ibwx333 , Now knowing what I know about the RX 5700 ref .. It 's the best thing since sliced bread or close because if your lucky and grab a new one with the free game or get it at below $329 .. You can turn it into a RX 5700 Super = 7% uplift from only XT bios installed .

You still can find new Vega 56 cards for around 250 euros and 64 for 64 euros, but they will eed a bigger PSU by around 150W if the one installed is limited, espciaally for Vega 64.
We're talking gaming, because in case of working and compute, Vega 10 GOU (Vega 56 and 64) is great but Vega 20 aka Radeon VII is super-great because it has 16GB HBM2 RAM.
Then there is the RX 5700 and 5700XT. But frankly, I'd wait for the Navi 12 chip aka RX 5800/5900, next big GPU to come from AMD. This is coming after Navi 14 chip commercial name RX 5500/5600 GPU which is about the same speed as RX 570/590. When RX 5800/5900 will be announced AMD may drop some prices on the RX 5700/700XT series. Especially now that Nvidia is doing so on the RTX range.
Actually, for the price, I'd rather get the cheapest RTX 2060 Super 8GB for gaming, which is rather close the RX 5700 price but has better value because of ray tracing, IA cores and VRS which are must have features on the new games to come, missing on the new AMD RX 5700/5700XT line which is not even faster on the supported features. AMD will catch up at the end of next year with a new GPU line, and I'm impressed they can sell those RX 5700/5700XT at that price. I'd rather value them between 200 and 300$, just on top of the RX 590. On the other hand Nvidia GTX 1650/1660Ti line is terrible, very expensive for what it does.
And don't expect anything great for gaming from Intel. They are more fund of making good compute units that may also be good for gaming. This old AMD behavior.

Find a 5700 for the ~$280 or so they've been running new. They hit 5700xt performance really easily.

My rig's quite comparable to yours and I just picked up a Nivida RTX 2070 Super yesterday along with my new 1440p monitor which arrived yesterday as well. I would say you'll be good with an AMD 5700/5700XT.

In fact I know a guy who's planning to part with his 5700XT - Mr. Stryker

Best of luck w/ your planned upgrade!

Back