AMD Unveils World's First 7nm Datacenter GPUs with PCIe 4.02 Interconnect

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by cageymaru, Nov 6, 2018.

1. nEo717

nEo717 Limp Gawd

Volume combined with good supply and demand zones, lots of opportunity, just need a solid rule set to make the trades.

2. It doesn't matter. If they can't stick Ray Tracing on the box as a selling point it won't sell versus a 2080. They need either more speed for the same money or cost less for the same speed. Remember AMD is the underdog. As much as I like AMD over NVIDIA, they have that NVIDIA's halo performance & feature halo to punch through.

3. Everybody's stock dropped. Intels NVIDIAs etc. That said I heard rumors of the Zen 2 launch end of October over 2 months ago when stocks were flying.

4. Stoly

Stoly [H]ardness Supreme

Excuse me, but Turing has BOTH Tensor cores AND RTX cores. Yes you can do RT with Tensor cores alone (like Volta) or even without it (like Pascal), but its not nearly as efficient.

This doesn't mean AMD can't do RT with just Tensor cores, or compute cores for that matter. But I think AMD will need some extra magic sauce to make it faster.

Trimlock likes this.
  5. kamikazi

kamikazi Limp Gawd

If only that were true.

6. Maybe you haven't been paying attention to the market in October. I was down nearly 8% on my broad indexes.

7. Stoly

Stoly [H]ardness Supreme

The more I look at it, the more it looks like just a die-shrink.

While on paper it looks like it could stand between a Tesla P100 and a Tesla V100, I think it will fall behing the P100 and meet it at best.

Still no small feat for mostly an increased clockspeed and some tweaking.

8. You're smoking crack. The changes are very significant in how memory and CCX latencies are handled.

9. Stoly

Stoly [H]ardness Supreme

Hence the some tweaking part.

Duh...

I realize I'm oversimplificating. Its like saying that Turing is tweaked volta + RTX cores, Which isn't far from the truth.

10. We're not talking a i7 7770 -> i7 8770 here. That's a tweek. This is more akin from the first Core 2 to i7 which is pretty damn significant.

GHRTW likes this.
  11. Stoly

Stoly [H]ardness Supreme

Actually i7 7770 -> i7 8770 would be a good example. Maybe not quite, but close.

Its pretty much the same VEGA architecture plus FP64 and int 8 cores (AMD version of tensor cores I guess) shrinked into 7nm and cloked higher. I mean, it has the exact same amount of cores for crying out loud.

Just take a look at VEGA performance specs and multiply it by the factor of increased clockspeeds and see what you get.

No magic sauce here folks, that might not even come with Navi, but with next-gen whatever its called.

12. I'm sorry I'm brain farting. I thought I was on the Epyc Rome post. But you are correct, this is more a refinement with a faster bus. Hopefully there are some fixes and improvements, but I doubt early discard is one of them as this is aimed at AI.

13. kamikazi

kamikazi Limp Gawd

I was referring to Zen 2 releasing in October. I own some AMD, I'm well aware of the drop. ;)