AMD Unlocking

Everyones heard of x2 unlock into a x4 and x3 into a x4. Even x4 into x6(google it).

Is it possible for an x6 to unlock into a x8?

Another question, why isnt this possible with Intel CPUs? Thanks for your time!

it is physically impossible to get an x8 since AMD does not make a x8 for the public.......and VERY few do x4 to x6....those are OEM chips only IIRC.....

It is impossible with Intel CPU's because intel's process is different so they dont get defective cores as often(the real reason they are able to be unlocked)

It is impossible with Intel CPU's because intel's process is different so they dont get defective cores as often(the real reason they are able to be unlocked)

I disagree greatly with this statement. Where is your data to back it up?

its how i understood it, please enlighten me so i know it better........i figured that was the reason......i know that the AMD(or at least have been lead to believe) originally locked(and probably still does) cores on certain chips because a percentage of a sample had bad cores, so the entire batch was locked.

I would assume that intel isnt wasting any thing where they can make money off of, but of course its very possible i'm incorrect, just a college student who works with computers as a hobby and still learning all this stuff.

Intel laser cuts any defective cores, while AMD doesn't for whatever reason. That little difference is the reason you can't unlock an Intel chip. Intel has a wider price range on their chips, so allowing unlocking would really hurt them financially(they sell a lot of $300+ chips).

Back