AMD TWKR Black Edition Hands-On

HardOCP News

[H] News
Wallace Santos, Founder and CEO of MAINGEAR PC, updated his blog to say he had a batch of TWKR Black Edition Phenom II processors in house today. Wallace promised to give a performance update after he spends a little quality time with the new processor and, just to tease you, he posted some drool-worthy pictures just for kicks.

Heh, I just read TWKR as "Tweaker". Not sure if that's what they were going for, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who sees that.

I need to add it was hand picked for "extreme cooling" options. So I am not sure you would get more than expected out of air cooling.

lol i'm not the brightest bulb, I read that as "twacker"

I was like WTF is twacker hahah... Hopefully it's not all show and no go though. Looks nice but is the price performance going to matter is the real question. Intel's got a very strong lineup right now, I really would like to see AMD take the crown away from intel again like the original athlons

lol i'm not the brightest bulb, I read that as "twacker"

I was like WTF is twacker hahah... Hopefully it's not all show and no go though. Looks nice but is the price performance going to matter is the real question. Intel's got a very strong lineup right now, I really would like to see AMD take the crown away from intel again like the original athlons

I don't think price/performance is what AMD was shooting for here at all. This part seems like it's targeted towards the benchmark nuts (no offense meant) that put stuff under phase, cascades, DICE, and LN2, none of which are practical solutions for everyday use but are meant for running a few hours at a time.

I doubt they'll do much better with air or water, because you'll still be heat limited.

Price is the key issue now ^.^
The cheaper the better, like the orignal Athlons Price Power Ratio.

Maingear is the best! I am still incredibly happy with how well my system is performing!

Not a single issue since purchase...running like a champ!

Monkeypillow, dont count on these running on air...at all. Looks to me like a special cooling chip only! I can bet you for sure you'll see huge differences between air and water.

Maingear is the best! I am still incredibly happy with how well my system is performing!

Not a single issue since purchase...running like a champ!

Monkeypillow, dont count on these running on air...at all. Looks to me like a special cooling chip only! I can bet you for sure you'll see huge differences between air and water.

Why wouldn't it run on air?

Ok, so what exactly are the "TWKR" black edition Phenoms?

Just further attempts by AMD to confuse the shit out of people and squeeze out additional chip SKUs from their limited manufacturing range. Nothing to see here folks.

Why wouldn't it run on air?

they would probably run on air.. but you would probably see near the same overclocks on air.. these chips are probably 100% temp dependent and not voltage dependent.. which most phenom II's are anyways.. would be interesting to see if they can break the 7ghz stable barrier with these or even get as high as 8ghz on liquid helium.. should be fun..

Speaking of which, why don't [H] do an article about extreme overclocking?

We did that for years then finally got tired of it. We held the P4 OC record for 2 years at 4GHz before it was finally broken. It is all about business now and not about fun. Guys with sponsored rigs from Intel and AMD. We did not have $26,000 worth of LN2 in the room like they do now. If you can get a 5GHz OC now days with all the extreme stuff going on, well, you are an idiot.

It is just boring now to me and it never relates into a machine that is of any use to anyone. There is not much to be learned for the normal overclocking end user....

They should be on the upcoming review of the EVGA classified. I think they're planning on putting it under dry ice.

Yeah, but that is a mobo review. Pretty hard to do a proper review of a board targeted at extreme OC if we don't extremely OC it. :)

Just further attempts by AMD to confuse the shit out of people and squeeze out additional chip SKUs from their limited manufacturing range. Nothing to see here folks.

Troll much? From the info that's out, these aren't even for sale yet. These look to be a niche offering for people into extreme overclocking and benching not your average enthusiast. Intel could easily do the same, and I wouldn't even blink if it did.

Troll much? From the info that's out, these aren't even for sale yet. These look to be a niche offering for people into extreme overclocking and benching not your average enthusiast. Intel could easily do the same, and I wouldn't even blink if it did.

What, you mean they don't already?

WTF is an extreme edition?

If you look closely at the top of the chip it says Phenom II 42.

If you overclock it, will you get the answer to life, the universe, and everything? Maybe they can be protected from the Intel onslaught by wrapping a towel around them?
:D

they would probably run on air.. but you would probably see near the same overclocks on air.. these chips are probably 100% temp dependent and not voltage dependent..

It's been that way since the first 65nm dies with K8. The issue there was finding one that could take the cold well enough to actually make it somewhere useful before freaking out.

Kyle, it's funny how much things have changed in the last year. I remember how excited I was to be the first one to (publicly) break 4ghz on a 65nm amd chip... now it happens all the time. so backwards :D

I would love to see some home brew overclocking. i miss the days of hardware store watercoolers, and beer fridge phase change. it would be fun to see if you can find an inexpensive, easily available and modable phase change setup like a beer fridge for sale at walmart so anyone could buy it, rip it apart, and put it back together into a super cooler.

or set random arbitrary goals, budget of $100, no stock parts, what kind of mods can you perform to achieve better cooling/OC. Better yet make it a competition, Kyle vs. Steve vs Brent. losing devices get the 50 cal.

I would love to see this. $100 limit and all parts must be sourced from home depot/lowes/wal mart :)
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I would love to see some home brew overclocking. i miss the days of hardware store watercoolers, and beer fridge phase change. it would be fun to see if you can find an inexpensive, easily available and modable phase change setup like a beer fridge for sale at walmart so anyone could buy it, rip it apart, and put it back together into a super cooler.

or set random arbitrary goals, budget of $100, no stock parts, what kind of mods can you perform to achieve better cooling/OC. Better yet make it a competition, Kyle vs. Steve vs Brent. losing devices get the 50 cal.

lol screw that.. id want to see them all fail just to watch them get blown up by the .50 cal.. :p

Kyle, I hear ya about having moved on from the 300A OCing days of yesteryear, but this sounds like a good idea...

Oh damn this is a great idea, but not internal competitions, make them external contests with arbitrary rules. Have the do-it-yourselfers / moddders provide writeups and pics. Give the winner something simple like a new video card or something, post the article and reap the rewards.

Themed case competitions like best [H] design (must use branded colors).

Or simpler competitions like design (blueprint) the ultimate workbench. Later others can use these designs to start thier own projects.

I'm sure you could come up with graphics competitions for the artists around here too.

thats what i was thinking after reading Kyle's post, revive the OC articles, but set a certain limit (air only or a max budget for water parts). That way you can explore what these days parts will do under everyday circumstances. Sure you wont be able to go for any WRs, but you get to push the limits on chips anyway, and readers will benefit.

now that i think about it, a competition trying to achieve the best possible cooling on a $100 budget sounds very cool, i'd be really interested in what people come up with.

thats what i was thinking after reading Kyle's post, revive the OC articles, but set a certain limit (air only or a max budget for water parts). That way you can explore what these days parts will do under everyday circumstances. Sure you wont be able to go for any WRs, but you get to push the limits on chips anyway, and readers will benefit.

now that i think about it, a competition trying to achieve the best possible cooling on a $100 budget sounds very cool, i'd be really interested in what people come up with.

I mean for $100 I got a TRUE lapped with 2 120mm scythe fans.

Think i spent around $98 overall. Im sure that would be the best possible cooling for under $100. That or that domino all in 1 water-cooling thingie

I've been trying to find some site that actually tells us what TWKR means, with no luck!

As far as I can work out from other sources, it might mean Total WorK Remaining.

It looks to be some kind of manufacturing terms and is often referred to alongside SPT (shortest processing time).

So this is like a handpicked version which overclocks better than usual. The reason is more leaky transistors, so this will also run hotter but if you can dissipate the heat, it should be able to achieve higher frequencies also. This could be a pretty good thing for enthusiasts and even for AMD, selling chips that would possibly instead get scrapped.

So this is like a handpicked version which overclocks better than usual. The reason is more leaky transistors, so this will also run hotter but if you can dissipate the heat, it should be able to achieve higher frequencies also. This could be a pretty good thing for enthusiasts and even for AMD, selling chips that would possibly instead get scrapped.

That doesn't make sense at all, why would leaky transistors achieve higher frequencies?

I've been trying to find some site that actually tells us what TWKR means, with no luck!

As far as I can work out from other sources, it might mean Total WorK Remaining.

It looks to be some kind of manufacturing terms and is often referred to alongside SPT (shortest processing time).

You can't possibly be serious....

TWKR = TWeaKeR. You know... us. People who tweak their hardware.

Back