AMD... Tri-Core?!?

There were rumors back about a year or so ago that mentioned the possibility of AMD releasing tri-core processors, but I reckoned it was just wild speculation. Now, the rumor is back but I won't believe it unless I read it from official channels. The only reason I can fathom AMD doing this would be niche marketing their products for greater product diversity and acquire a little extra market share. They should just concentrate on better yields and IPC, IMO.

Another thing I want to add is the fact that this rumor is coming from the Inquirer, where they also stated recently that AMD is going to make an announcement around this year's IDF time-frame. What the announcement is if it will happen, I have no idea, just trying to piece things together. I can't accept what the Inq has to say at face value. Wait for a more reputable source concerning both these rumors.

Someone from AMD said that this is possible.. can't find a link though.. It would make sense since Intel can't really do it that easily yet.. If one core is bad on a quad-core processor, instead of making it a dual core.. make it a processor with three cores.

uhhh IBM has already done this ala the xbox 360, which isn't out of the realm of AMD doing it, or Intel if they wanted to.

uhhh IBM has already done this ala the xbox 360, which isn't out of the realm of AMD doing it, or Intel if they wanted to.

the 360 cpu is an actual tri-core design, AMD is talking about taking four core dies and fusing one off, either because one core on the die is bad, or because it would be a competetive product

to be honest though, i dont see the market for this thing. If an app is gonna benefit from that third core, there would be a reason not to get a dual but to get more cores, but then again, once apps scale past two cores, they will quite likely also benefit almost linearly from the forth core

as for the inqs argument about games not using duals yet very well, and the added thermal headroom might allow higher clocks, why not go for an even higher clock dual core die then?

Very true, but Like mpcamer1220 said, I would expect AMD having more reason to do this because of their single chip quad-core design. Intel would likely just disable their second chip altogether if there's one bad core. If AMD does indeed go forward with this, it would make for a very interesting product, that's certain.

Providing the rumor is true, I wonder if they will do this with the multi-socket Opterons as well...?

LOL You think this is a *good* thing, or is it a result of bad yields on 4 core Barcelonas? I guess theinq can spin, spin, spin anything about AMD to make it good.

LOL You think this is a *good* thing, or is it a result of bad yields on 4 core Barcelonas? I guess theinq can spin, spin, spin anything about AMD to make it good.
That's the reason I don't buy the rumor until I read it from someone else. The Inq states that AMD will be doing this but not because of bad yields. They make it appear as if it's a marketing innovation. Maybe yes, maybe no, I don't know, but if they are getting a significant number of bad yields, why not sell them off at a lower price to make some needed profit? Heck, I would probably do the same in their position.

IDF is coming up - I heard that AMD was going to have some news to give out during IDF..

http://www.hardtecs4u.com/?id=1189807351,51761,ht4u.php

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]AMD brings tri polarizing core[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]How we from manufacturernear circles experience could, AMD intends during Intel the Developer forum, which takes place shortly in the USA, to give in a Nebenveranstaltung admits that one will present at the beginning of 2008 processors with three cores. The market adjustment is related not to business customers of the workstation and server range, but addresses themselves one thereby to the Consumer rail. To this topic then today also a Briefing is to have taken place, in which AMD to the tri polarizing cores admits first information to have given is. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]- As Phenom probably likewise designated - the tri polarizing cores for the first quarter are planned 2008, whereby the manufacturer wanted to call still no information to clock rates or capacity. AMD does not want to call the TDP data anyway any longer, instead trusts one in the future on a ACP denomination.[/FONT]

AMD explains this step allegedly with the fact that the market requires for such models. There would be users, which are no longer sufficiently served of four-nuclear models with the two-core achievement and are too expensive those possibly. From therefore it - to call we it simply - the Phenom X3 concerning the price probably becomes between both K10-Varianten tummeln. Besides the manufacturer likewise still pointed out that it concerns with the tri polarizing core versions not around four-nuclear models with a deactivated core, but genuine three-core processors.

Should the latter apply places itself naturally likewise the question about the prices. For this it requires a higher cost and evenly for such reasons the financially fastened manufacturer so far without 65nm versions of its 2 MT L2-Cache Athlon X2 did. At least one communicated us in such a way.

Well, I agree that if true it's most likely making lemonade from the lemons of bad-yields, but even so it's an interesting twist (excuse the pun). There seems to be a slow swell towards critical mass as far as threaded apps is concerned. A third core would benefit at that time, for example multi-threaded games purported to soon be released.

This is clearly AMD spinning a story. :rolleyes:

Of course the marketing team would position a tri-core product because there is "demand" for it. Who the heck wants to buy a broken product? If the message is that AMD is only selling these because they're defective quads, the average Joe isn't going to touch it. If marketing had researched this and there really was demand, it would have been on roadmaps. Instead, this tri-core is clearly reactionary to yield results.

The article claims AMD is doing tri-cores because Intel cannot. This is ridiculous. Even if we assume that's true, why would Intel care? Intel is pricing quad-cores in dual-core territory and with 45nm coming in, it isn't hard to do.

who cares if one core is bad if the other 3 work good then its a good thing for them to do
if its cheaper some one will buy it

Buying a dual-core versus a quad-core is one thing, but buying a tri-core versus a quad-core is simply silly.

well heres an idea amd is doing tricore could amd be testing and laying the ground work for future products think about it with what is in the pipe this makes sense

BREAKING NEWS:

Intel to release a three and a half core CPU in Q1 2008. The Core Tres A Medias.

Utilizing proprietary technology Intel is to bring three cores at full speed and a forth at half speed.

Thus:

CPU 1 = 2.4ghz
CPU 2 = 2.4ghz
CPU 3 = 2.4ghz
CPU 4 = 1.2ghz

well heres an idea amd is doing tricore could amd be testing and laying the ground work for future products think about it with what is in the pipe this makes sense

Hopefully a third core will provide you the required technology to use proper punctuation.

:D

who cares if one core is bad if the other 3 work good then its a good thing for them to do; if its cheaper some one will buy it
Definitely. There's always a buyer for almost every product. I don't think finding a buyer for a new tri-core processor is the biggest concern if it's primarily a salvage scenario.

Buying a dual-core versus a quad-core is one thing, but buying a tri-core versus a quad-core is simply silly.
That ultimately would depend on the planned price point, and what the competitive landscape appears like at that hypothetical juncture. Moreover, a tri-core processor will permit AMD's OEM partners to market systems at additional price brackets, not to mention increased product differentiation within their respective product stables. Even if we are talking negligible performance difference between dual/quad cores, the average consumer will just equate 3>2 performance, but 3<4$.

You mean Fusion?

This is clearly AMD spinning a story. :rolleyes:

Yeah, Intel would never market a partially defective processor at a lower price point. *COUGH*Celeron*COUGH*Pentium T Series*COUGH* ;)

well if they eventually replace the dual cores with these tri-cores, amd would have a mid range with tri cores while intel competes with dual cores. could be an interesting fight.

Great post, Rabid!!

i, for one, really like the idea of tri core since a crapload of programs for me don't even make good use of my dualcore.

Yeah, Intel would never market a partially defective processor at a lower price point. *COUGH*Celeron*COUGH*Pentium T Series*COUGH* ;)

*COUGH* Conroe-L, *COUGH* Allendale

The point is, tri-core is clearly a knee jerk reaction to yields rather than a planned product.

I understand AMD's desire to sell tri-cores if they have lots of defective quads, but the notion that they're introducing it because of demand sounds laughable to me. AMD has 1.7 GHz quad-core Opteron for as low as $209. For $35 less, they have a 1.8 GHz dual-core. Who in right mind would choose a tri-core?

In a manufacturing stand point it makes sense, no matter how good you are you are always going to have die defects, thats just a fact of life. Especially with a chip the size of the Barcalona, Intel has bypassed this issue by using to two dual core dies so far.

What this would save AMD from having to manufacture two different die types in their fabs (aka dual core and quad core), which I could never figure out why they would want to in the first place. The question is can the Barcalona function with with just one memory controller operational or does each memory controller have access to only two cores.

Besides if AMD price a Tri-core proc and the same price Intel prices a dual-core I dont see them having a hard time finding a market.

In a manufacturing stand point it makes sense, no matter how good you are you are always going to have die defects, thats just a fact of life. Especially with a chip the size of the Barcalona, Intel has bypassed this issue by using to two dual core dies so far.
The MCM design has both advantages and disadvantages, as does a single chip design.

What this would save AMD from having to manufacture two different die types in their fabs (aka dual core and quad core), which I could never figure out why they would want to in the first place. The question is can the Barcalona function with with just one memory controller operational or does each memory controller have access to only two cores.
Good question, I believe the memory controller was divided in two to access both memory channels independently of each other, thus data can flow to and from both memory channels simultaneously. If that's the case, then the individual memory controllers should have access to all cores, but this is pure speculation on my part, so don't quote me on this.

Besides if AMD price a Tri-core proc and the same price Intel prices a dual-core I dont see them having a hard time finding a market.
Which means another escalation in the price war and better for the consumer. ;)

The MCM design has both advantages and disadvantages, as does a single chip design.

Good question, I believe the memory controller was divided in two to access both memory channels independently of each other, thus data can flow to and from both memory channels simultaneously. If that's the case, then the individual memory controllers should have access to all cores, but this is pure speculation on my part, so don't quote me on this.

Which means another escalation in the price war and better for the consumer. ;)

Right, and it's more of a recoup for amd to do this, so it's not like they'd be losing a lot of money(that hadn't already been lost) by offering a tri-core.

BREAKING NEWS:

Intel to release a three and a half core CPU in Q1 2008. The Core Tres A Medias.

Utilizing proprietary technology Intel is to bring three cores at full speed and a forth at half speed.

Thus:

CPU 1 = 2.4ghz
CPU 2 = 2.4ghz
CPU 3 = 2.4ghz
CPU 4 = 1.2ghz

lol

but even so, pretty much every budget processor out there is the result of a bad yield in some regard. since we're moving more toward core scalability than frequency, it makes sense to begin applying this strategy to bad cores and whatnot.

perhaps the future of overclocking will be unlocking those extra cores and hoping theyre actually usable.

ahem i would buy a tri-core processor. This is probaly of more use in about a year for amd when they have higher clocked parts. say a failed 2.5 or 2.7 quadcore make it a tricore and you now have a processor that can be sold competeing against a lower clocked quadcore.

tricore at 2.5ghz or quadcore at 2.0 ghz which do you buy? if processor are at the same price point... assuming of course the average buyer who does not assume they will overclock . Since software is slow at using the extra cores these days and will be for atleast the next year the higher rated part may be the better option for some.

Tricore would be a option on laptops also 1 less core to power.

who cares why its being thought of more products to choose from never hurt.

lol

but even so, pretty much every budget processor out there is the result of a bad yield in some regard. since we're moving more toward core scalability than frequency, it makes sense to begin applying this strategy to bad cores and whatnot.

perhaps the future of overclocking will be unlocking those extra cores and hoping theyre actually usable.

I don't think that having separately clocked cores will work correctly on an SMP system :)

After all, I can only imagine that it's called symmetric multi processing for a reason.

But what's the point of this product? Really, with Q6600's going for $250, were talking about probablly $100 quad core chips next year. It would seem that AMD knows this and really can't be going too much out of its way as at the low end, we're talking about probably a sub-$100 low margin part. Nonetheless, I guess if it's a SKU that they can add to their line-up with little cost, then that's good thing.

the point is 3 cores is apart of amd's next gen plans it is something intel can not do at the moment just think no phenom x2's just x3's and x4's 3 amd cores vs 2 intel for midrange

or half of a 6 core processor.

Besides.... if we are seeing b2 as the first stepping.... what are they doing with all the other stepping yeilds.... maybe there was a fab error, and a shit load of quad core processors with 3 good cores were made. What do you do with all of these...

I don't think that having separately clocked cores will work correctly on an SMP system :)

After all, I can only imagine that it's called symmetric multi processing for a reason.

thats not really what i was getting at, just getting extra cores unlocked as a means to "OC" on future processors with lots of cores (and lots of disabled cores)

i do actually think that seperate clock frequencies per core is an implemented technology though...i think maybe intel was doing it, or working on it maybe?

i've poked around some SMP code throughout the linux kernel and it doesnt seem to be dependent on clock frequencies. mostly stuff like processor-specific timekeeping functionality (so a process, or timer interrupts, running on 1 processor dont skew the reported amount of time a process has been running on another processor), and generally just maintaining different contexts for processes running on a particular processor. its really not handled all that much differently than with 1 processor, each processor behaves pretty much independently of the other. as far as i know.

i do actually think that seperate clock frequencies per core is an implemented technology though...i think maybe intel was doing it, or working on it maybe?

Barcelona already has this ability. Each core has its own PLL so it can independently vary its frequency. The marketing name for it is DICE (Dynamic Independent Core Engagement).

Barcelona already has this ability. Each core has its own PLL so it can independently vary its frequency. The marketing name for it is DICE (Dynamic Independent Core Engagement).
If you are going to post in a thread - post about the topic. :p ;) :confused:

Morfinx, can you comment about a possible announcement around the IDF?

Morfinx, can you comment about a possible announcement around the IDF?

To be honest I haven't heard anything about any IDF announcements. But I'm on the design side so news sometimes take awhile to propagate to me.

Back