AMD TR40x boards listed on site officially!

tangoseal

[H]F Junkie
I am posting this information in the general motherboard forum because members of both, Intel and AMD, may be interested.

Remember if you want 8 channel ram you need to wait on the TR80X or WRX80 chipsets to be released. TR40x is only quad channel.

Here are the boards:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Socket-sTRX4

upload_2019-11-8_2-54-0.png

Last edited:
I'd imagine that 8 channel RAM will be of limited use in Client workloads. Even quad channel RAM has very small benefits over Dual Channel.

I'd imagine that 8 channel RAM will be of limited use in Client workloads. Even quad channel RAM has very small benefits over Dual Channel.

Saying things like "Client Workloads" in a conversation about Threadrippers is like mentioning "Speed Limits" in a conversation about supercars.

Whatever your needs, quad channel is tr40x and 8 channel is tr80x and wrx80 respectively.

I see ZERO benefit for any workstation load, no matter how badass the rig, for 8 channel ram. That truly is server territory or running like 30 VMs

Anyways who cares - get 8 channel and your epeen just got an increase to Godlike size!

Way I see it these days is extra channels allows for more capacity without too many compromises.

Whatever your needs, quad channel is tr40x and 8 channel is tr80x and wrx80 respectively.

I see ZERO benefit for any workstation load, no matter how badass the rig, for 8 channel ram. That truly is server territory or running like 30 VMs

Anyways who cares - get 8 channel and your epeen just got an increase to Godlike size!

just consider it a poor mans server for small business/data centers basically and i think that's what AMD is aiming for with TR80. sure they lose a little margin but they'll more than likely make it up in volume in that market since they would be unlikely to sell comparable epyc processors to those same people/companies. that's just my view on it though.

just consider it a poor mans server for small business/data centers basically and i think that's what AMD is aiming for with TR80. sure they lose a little margin but they'll more than likely make it up in volume in that market since they would be unlikely to sell comparable epyc processors to those same people/companies. that's just my view on it though.

For a poor man's server, I'd rather use real server parts, used and previous gen.

Could also see it being great for scientific workloads and similar high precision analysis, certain ML, movie effects and field editing rigs etc.
Lots of stuff where an epyc or Xeon would be good, but that type of cpu with even faster cores (TR binning approach) might be very beneficial.
Keep in mind these are highly binned top 5% for TR... They're even better than Epyc in the clock department.

Back