AMD to Ship 32nm Chips in 2010

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
AMD’s CEO, Dirk Meyer, told InformationWeek that they are on track to “ramp up” production of their next-gen 32-nm processors by mid-2010 and be in full production by Q4 2010. Follow the jump for this and other tidbits from their interview with him.

In rolling out the smaller, more powerful processors next year, AMD will be months behind Intel, which plans to begin production of 32-nm products in the fourth quarter of this year.

If they can make 'em cheaper and performs well, then I might go AMD next build :). Who cares if Intel is first if it's too expensive.

If they can make 'em cheaper and performs well, then I might go AMD next build :). Who cares if Intel is first if it's too expensive.

It's not matter of Intel being first, its a matter of performance. AMD CPU's across the board are not competitive right now, and the problem seems to be getting worse. AMD is only able to compete on price.

The last desktop AMD CPU I bought was the Athlon 64 4800+ plus, great CPU for the time, paid almost $800 for it at the end of 2005. AMD has nothing they can sell for that kind of money these days.

I do hope that AMD can get back in the game because my next rig will be a 32mn part, right now thinking about going with Gulftown but we're talking a year out so no way to know now.

It's not matter of Intel being first, its a matter of performance. AMD CPU's across the board are not competitive right now, and the problem seems to be getting worse. AMD is only able to compete on price.

55173lolwut.jpg

Its true. I used to go with AMD back in the barton and A64 days because they were kicking intel's ass. Now that Intel is back in the lead I'm only dealing with them for the moment.

I hope AMD starts pushing back, even though their CPUs used to run hotter than the freaking sun they had an excellent price/performance ratio back then.

'On March 2, AMD closes its deal with Advanced Technology Investment Co., formed by the Abu Dhabi government, to spin off the chipmaker's manufacturing operations into a joint company, temporarily called the Foundry Co. The deal is expected to move $1.1 billion in debt, most of it associated with AMD's Dresden, Germany, manufacturing operation, off of AMD's books, Meyer said'

I'm sure the peoples here obsessed with 'greed' will see nothing wrong with the shell game admitted to in the above quote. Proof that the little guy isn't above GAP in accounting =)

not to go off topic here, but if AMD and Intel can do 32nm why the hell can't Nvidia? I have a 260 GTX and its like running a hairdryer in my room its 65nm, but the new 285 is only 55nm. Why can't the shring those down to save money, costs, energy etc...

not to go off topic here, but if AMD and Intel can do 32nm why the hell can't Nvidia? I have a 260 GTX and its like running a hairdryer in my room its 65nm, but the new 285 is only 55nm. Why can't the shring those down to save money, costs, energy etc...
Because Nvidia doesn't rely on either Intel or the partially AMD owned Foundry Company to fab its chips.

Besides, neither of these two companies are producing 32nm in bulk right now anyways. Intel is pretty close, and AMD is about a year to year and half behind.

The last desktop AMD CPU I bought was the Athlon 64 4800+ plus, great CPU for the time, paid almost $800 for it at the end of 2005. AMD has nothing they can sell for that kind of money these days.

I do hope that AMD can get back in the game because my next rig will be a 32mn part, right now thinking about going with Gulftown but we're talking a year out so no way to know now.

Does the computer boot up when I press the on button? Check
Does it launch an application when I click on the icon? Check
Can I surf the internet? Check
Can I check email? Check

For the vast majority of computer users that is all they want. They don't care that Intel gets more FPS in Quake. I have an Athlon X2 and play WoW with reasonable frame rates with a 4870.

This whole AMD is crap right now is bogus as it can do what the vast majority of computer users need it to do just as well as any Intel CPU.

AMD is doing better now with 45nm cpus, but a quicker move to 32nm would help out AMD a lot.Costs would be lower in the long term and with cooler chips, better overclocking is sure to follow.

Does the computer boot up when I press the on button? Check
Does it launch an application when I click on the icon? Check
Can I surf the internet? Check
Can I check email? Check

For the vast majority of computer users that is all they want. They don't care that Intel gets more FPS in Quake. I have an Athlon X2 and play WoW with reasonable frame rates with a 4870.

This whole AMD is crap right now is bogus as it can do what the vast majority of computer users need it to do just as well as any Intel CPU.

We're on [H] though. Don't we usually put performance first here despite the maker?

Yea and the new Phenoms do a wonderfully good job competing. If only they came out a year ago then they would be competitive but that ship has long departed.

Yea and the new Phenoms do a wonderfully good job competing. If only they came out a year ago then they would be competitive but that ship has long departed.

By this logic, the next AMD will be as good as the i7, but at an affordable price :p. Although I do hope AMD does come up with something to match intel current offerings.

By this logic, the next AMD will be as good as the i7, but at an affordable price :p. Although I do hope AMD does come up with something to match intel current offerings.

AMD now offers corporate executives composite golf tee's corporate trinkets, as Intel now offers as well. There's your something. ;)

Soooooo.... they're still a year behind Intel. How is this news? Now if AMD said it would be shipping 32nm before Q2 2010 then it would be noteworthy.

Back