AMD to ship 100,000 RX 480 on mid-August.

Actually they're shipping 100k P10 GPUs to the AIBs by mid August, not shipping 100k RX480s - at least that's how I understood it.

Actually they're shipping 100k P10 GPUs to the AIBs by mid August, not shipping 100k RX480s - at least that's how I understood it.

Yeah, that sounds right. They would only be shipping packaged chips for the board vendors to install on their boards. It'll be interesting to see if the supply stabilizes by the end of August (i.e. cards are not perpetually out of stock).

Yeah, that sounds right. They would only be shipping packaged chips for the board vendors to install on their boards. It'll be interesting to see if the supply stabilizes by the end of August (i.e. cards are not perpetually out of stock).

Miners are buying them as fast as AMD can make them so doubtful it will make much of a difference over time. It might be enough of them at one time that you can get a card for about a week. :)

As much as you see Nvidia PR touting how research facilities are using their GPUs, you'd think that they would be better at Bitcoin mining. :(

Miners are buying them as fast as AMD can make them so doubtful it will make much of a difference over time. It might be enough of them at one time that you can get a card for about a week. :)

As much as you see Nvidia PR touting how research facilities are using their GPUs, you'd think that they would be better at Bitcoin mining.
:(
Probably wouldn't help much currently since just normal gamers are snatching any and all cards up to 250 bucks as fast as they hit the shelves.;) Games like doom you get 980 performance for 200 bucks, is hard to pass up.

As much as you see Nvidia PR touting how research facilities are using their GPUs, you'd think that they would be better at Bitcoin mining. :(
One factor favoring bitcoin mining on AMD GPUs instead of Nvidia's is that the mining algorithm is based on SHA-256, which makes heavy use of the 32-bit integer right rotate operation. This operation can be implemented as a single hardware instruction on AMD GPUs (BIT_ALIGN_INT), but requires three separate hardware instructions to be emulated on Nvidia GPUs (2 shifts + 1 add).

gibbo (ocuk) said:
Those who already pre-ordered 1-2 weeks. If pre-ordering now around 2 weeks, essentially pre-order to get in the queue, because at present were selling around 100 units per day, so they won't show in stock for sometime due to their popularity.

Between the three Sapphire Nitro models they are our best selling cards, outselling everything else by a long distance.
I assume He's just talking about amd cards here, not all GPUs on ocuk, but at least we know stock is flowing somewhere. edit: later in the thread, he says sapphire missed this weekend's shipping target, and sapphire said to expect a "large" shipment next weekend.

Last edited:
They are clearing backorders on reference cards so in this case they probably are full boards. The custom parts wouldn't even have released because of the die shortage. That 100k figure might not include die for custom boards.

One thing AMD needs to do is to supply the demand and get a larger demand. Commodore 64 main success was that it in it's time was a Perf/$ champ but more importantly Commodore was able to meet the demand making it one of the most successful computer of all time getting it promoted at every corner store, shopping plaza to Mom and Pa's electronics shops. It is not just a good to superior product but one that is readily available. 100,000 may sound good but is peanuts, needs to be 500,000+ to a million for 2016, next year it will not count as much.

One thing AMD needs to do is to supply the demand and get a larger demand. Commodore 64 main success was that it in it's time was a Perf/$ champ but more importantly Commodore was able to meet the demand making it one of the most successful computer of all time getting it promoted at every corner store, shopping plaza to Mom and Pa's electronics shops. It is not just a good to superior product but one that is readily available. 100,000 may sound good but is peanuts, needs to be 500,000+ to a million for 2016, next year it will not count as much.
I would like to see production numbers for GloFo and TSMC, like wafers per week/day/hour or whatever. It would help give an idea of expected stock possibility.

to be fair neither side is keeping up with the demand. just seems like this years release was a bit rushed for both sides.

I have seen reference 480s come in and out of stock almost every day for last few days, actually a week almost. Bunch of notifications from nowinstock.net, newegg never sends notification because they don't last long enough for system generated email I guess lol. So as someone said people are picking these up quick its pretty crazy, may be miners.

Back