AMD to nVidia: Put Up or Shut Up

Actually, go look at the rage on the volume of the GTX480. People DID mind.

No joke. I'm not one to bitch about noise most of the time but the GTX 480's noise levels were unacceptable. In contrast my GTX 580's are perfectly fine. Even with two of them in my machine I still can't hear them. My case fans are louder and believe me, my machine isn't all that loud.

Actually, go look at the rage on the volume of the GTX480. People DID mind.

that's because it was a HUGE incrase in noise for for what you got in performance vs the competition and over their previous product...

Anyone expecting a dual gpu card to be quiet while dissipating 350W+ is not operating on all thrusters...

AMD has the fastest warranty voiding card.
...just flip a switch. :D

But my GTX 260 just recently blew up and smoked during normal operation (no furmark). My next card may be AMD.

4x GTX 580 3gbs are still unrivaled. Nvidia still wins at the highest end market.(If those bitches would finally get in stock)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
AMD certainly is loosing market share each day. Cool im glad AMD is beaten Intel in the smallest CPU market out there.

amd is having 3 major launches this year on the cpu side that has never happened in the companies history... bulldozer and llano will be great cpu solutions and on llanos part it will destroy sandys graphics with out breaking a sweat not to mention murder nvidias low end graphics processor margins. what makes companies money is not the high end its the low to middle end volumes

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I commend AMD for having the balls to take a jab at Nvidia.

This reminds me of what old school PC marketing used to be. It was more edgy, and had a certain flash to it.

+1 for this AMD. The statement is bold and that image is awesome.

wonder what driver short cuts nvidia is going to try and sneak in to appear faster in benchmarks.. ;)

Super optimizing for benchmark x is a bit shady, or at least feels that way, I do see some validity (so long as there is no IQ loss) to it however...

Both AMD and Nvidia have been caught enhancing drivers for specific benchmarks, I've read some interesting stories about AMD playing some games with drivers as well. Where they release driver x that is a bit slower so they can claim driver x+1 is y% faster. So far I haven't heard of Nvidia doing that. Though I havnt researched it in depth.

Back to my idea however, both Nvidia and AMD optimize release drivers for games. They both rework drivers to work better with software on the market and often provide us with significant increases to fps/speed when they do so. Seeing how much they can make 3Dmark or whatever go faster right off the bat does give an indication of how well driver optimization over the life of the product will enhance the value of the GPU.

I think it is a shame that all the benchmarks and "I can piss farther" ads all focus solely on the Epeen-ish scores of FPS etc at release only. I'd really like to see some comparisons of the last 3-4 generations of silicon from both comparing the release benches to current. That would give a very strong indication of the long term value of the card. Like many people I dont have the income to buy a new top end vid card every six months and often go one to two years between purchases. I am looking for cards like the 8800 gtx that can hand in there and deliver decent results for the long haul.

Yes, in the Epeen world it is nice to say yours is the biggest, ask around though and you will find biggest doesnt mean much if it doesnt have staying power.

Anyhow, IMO

No joke. I'm not one to bitch about noise most of the time but the GTX 480's noise levels were unacceptable. In contrast my GTX 580's are perfectly fine. Even with two of them in my machine I still can't hear them. My case fans are louder and believe me, my machine isn't all that loud.

So, I noticed my single GTX580 idled at 55C last night. I was a little curious, so I cranked the fan up in afterburner to the max (80% duty cycle or something) and THEN I heard it...but compared to my 5970...the GTX580 is dead silent 90% of the time. My 5970 had the damned rattle.

I do need to watch my GTX580 temps now, curious if I have room for an OC...without building a WC loop, I mean :)

that's because it was a HUGE incrase in noise for for what you got in performance vs the competition and over their previous product...

Anyone expecting a dual gpu card to be quiet while dissipating 350W+ is not operating on all thrusters...

The GTX480 perf wise wasn't so bad, really. I almost nabbed one but opted for a 5970 instead. That was a lose-lose scenario - rattle, or loud fan. I'd sooner take a loud fan than the fucking rattle my 5970 has. That piece of shit can collect dust now. Love my 580, love how silent it is, love that it's smaller...and performs roughly the same in the end.

You bring up noise when the 6990 sounds like like a fucking airplane? :rolleyes:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

HAHAHAHAHA... you're the tool. The 6990 sounds like a fucking airplane. No arguing that! :rolleyes:

Actually, a jet engine at 100' is right around 140 dB. The 6990, on the other hand, at 100' is audibly imperceptible even under load.

The ad gave me a good laugh when I first saw it.

As long as you take as tongue in cheek its cool.

I don't understand all the fanboyism though. Both companies have made complete junk we wasted our hard earned money on.

I have piles of flaky or dead ATi cards. Off the top of my head I have 5 x Rage IIc, several Rage Pros and 128s, 3 x 9800 pros, 2 x x800xls, 1 x1800xt, 1 x HD4670. Plus more I can't remember.

On the flipside I have a dead Hercules TnT, some bad MX200s and 400s, lots of bad FX56/5700s, half a dozen dead 7600GS/GTs, 2 x 7950GTs, a really flaky 7950GX2, a dead 9800GX2....

Don't even get me started on ATi 1200 series, AMD 700 series and nVidia 400/500 series chipsets. I have also RMA'd countless AMD cpus over the years.

Intel burned me a few times too. Few bad Northwoods, prescotts, Pentium Ds and 1 Core 2 Duo E7500.

So why can't we all just say whatevs and just go with whatever works for a bit lol.

Oh and I just wanted to add my 7600m GS is dying (part of the whole generation of bad nVidia laptop chipsets) in my laptop and some of my customers are having 5870m GPUs overheat and crap out too.

Not a fanboy of either side here...I see AMD as the winner here, so far...nVidia usually has new driver tweaks and tricks up their collective sleeve...

either way the competition is great for us as gamers.

Not a fanboy of either side here...I see AMD as the winner here, so far...nVidia usually has new driver tweaks and tricks up their collective sleeve...

either way the competition is great for us as gamers.

I agree, this bickering is getting out of hand.

Oh and I just wanted to add my 7600m GS is dying (part of the whole generation of bad nVidia laptop chipsets) in my laptop and some of my customers are having 5870m GPUs overheat and crap out too.

Eh? The chip bump problem was for newer GPUs, not 7-series.

The ad gave me a good laugh when I first saw it.

As long as you take as tongue in cheek its cool.

I don't understand all the fanboyism though. Both companies have made complete junk we wasted our hard earned money on.

I have piles of flaky or dead ATi cards. Off the top of my head I have 5 x Rage IIc, several Rage Pros and 128s, 3 x 9800 pros, 2 x x800xls, 1 x1800xt, 1 x HD4670. Plus more I can't remember.

On the flipside I have a dead Hercules TnT, some bad MX200s and 400s, lots of bad FX56/5700s, half a dozen dead 7600GS/GTs, 2 x 7950GTs, a really flaky 7950GX2, a dead 9800GX2....

Don't even get me started on ATi 1200 series, AMD 700 series and nVidia 400/500 series chipsets. I have also RMA'd countless AMD cpus over the years.

Intel burned me a few times too. Few bad Northwoods, prescotts, Pentium Ds and 1 Core 2 Duo E7500.

So why can't we all just say whatevs and just go with whatever works for a bit lol.

The only Graphics card release that ever had me go WOW was the 8800GTX... if we got a 8800gtx step every new series that would be sick..

Hey, there's always

popcorn.gif

Or this:
eat%20popcorn.gif

I agree that was such a badass card.

True dat.

I went from the 8800GTS 320MB to a GTX 460 running <stable> at 885MHz on 1920x1080. That was a bit of a WOW!

My son runs a 5850 at 1650x1080 and he's had enough of the bull54it with AMD drivers such that he's ordered a GTX 460 as well.

AMD certainly is loosing market share each day. Cool im glad AMD is beaten Intel in the smallest CPU market out there.

AMD, loosing smallest CPU market? did I fall asleep and miss something?

The largest market segment is people looking for cheap desktops and laptops, were not talking what you and I might consider cheap, but actual... cheap... show them a full computer for more then $400 including monitor, and they scream bloody murder that walmart has one for $398.

And in this area, AMD has dominated, and continues to dominate. Especially as more and more OEM's build the AMD systems to allow for a larger margin of profit at that 399 price point.

"AMD is whine too much, so Intel must punish AMD until dead." - maddoctor
"Intel have been successfully made AMD's cash empty!" - maddoctor

Copied from another [H] member's sig. Goes straight among my Usenet sigs xD

So, I noticed my single GTX580 idled at 55C last night. I was a little curious, so I cranked the fan up in afterburner to the max (80% duty cycle or something) and THEN I heard it...but compared to my 5970...the GTX580 is dead silent 90% of the time. My 5970 had the damned rattle.

I do need to watch my GTX580 temps now, curious if I have room for an OC...without building a WC loop, I mean :)

The GTX480 perf wise wasn't so bad, really. I almost nabbed one but opted for a 5970 instead. That was a lose-lose scenario - rattle, or loud fan. I'd sooner take a loud fan than the fucking rattle my 5970 has. That piece of shit can collect dust now. Love my 580, love how silent it is, love that it's smaller...and performs roughly the same in the end.

My Radeon HD 5970 was pretty quiet as stock speeds but anytime I had it overclocked the thing annoyed the crap out of me. It was better than the Radeon HD 4870 X2 but that doesn't say much.

I have supported both companies over the years because I believe competition is a good thing. They can talk about performance all they want, but I have ran the cards side by side, and I keep finding games where there are graphics effects that show up when I use the Nvidia card and when I play on the ATI system, those effects don't show up. I didn't realize the fact except that my main Nvidia system was offline for a while when I had a power supply issue. So I was gaming exclusively on my ATi system for a while. Last week I got my Nvidia system back, and started gaming on it again becasue it has a much beefier processor. I started noticing effects in games that were not present on the ATI system. Most of these cards will run games at acceptable frame rates, ATI or Nvidia. I guess the question is, are they giving you the same gaming experience. In my experience that answer is no. Nvidia is better. It might just be the games I am playing. It might be driver versions. But in my end user experience, Nvidia gives a better overall gaming experience.

Chances are the statements can be considered true from both companies, because they are close enough in performance that it just depends on what game they pull numbers from.

It's the marketing guys' jobs to say this stuff. Regardless of what company it is.

Don't we all know this by now?

I don't see where everyone is having driver issues. It may be because I run a 5770, but I am still using the newest drivers and no issue. Personally I had a 9800m gt and it was crap. Always overheated and died out. Well hopefully AMD backs its claim up and sticks with it. Keep up the good work AMD.

And in the end on a consumer level, this matters to... 1% of people, maybe 15% on this forum.

Happy with my 470gtx, its loud, life is too short to care.

A pissing match between companies over e-peen is always fun to watch. When the pig slop flies it flies wide and far! :eek:

I gots me bag o popcorn ready. Oughta be interesting. :D

I don't think there's a winner in this discussion. If you take a look at benchmarks (Anandtech's for example), each card alternate the lead in different tests. It's all about picking the ones you like most to make your point.

Back